Boris And Carrie Johnson Fined For Party Gate Along With Rishi Sunak

Should Boris resign?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should Boris resign?

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

A same SF Poll would have delivered roughly the same result two months before 2019 general election.   The whole party allegations in Downing Street is absolute trivial nonsense just as someone reporting Nicola Sturgeon to the police for not wearing a mask while campaigning is. 

Love the fact that you endorse the "one rule for them one rule for the rest" mentality that the other sheep do.

The law is the law and no-one is above the law, and once you have broken the law, you should not allowed to hold public office.

Hypocrisy is rife in the SF!

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

It doesn't feel trivial to many of the people who couldn't visit ill, elderly or dying people in care homes or hospitals.

But are they the ones complaining about partygate?

It is probably trivial though to the 117,213 people that as of June 2021 broke covid laws and also received fixed penalty notices.

58 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Love the fact that you endorse the "one rule for them one rule for the rest" mentality that the other sheep do.

The law is the law and no-one is above the law, and once you have broken the law, you should not allowed to hold public office.

Hypocrisy is rife in the SF!

Police officers have much higher standards than the general public, they would be required to resign in certain circumstances.

Maybe some knows what would trigger the sacking or resignation of police officers?

1 hour ago, Litotes said:

.... The law is the law and no-one is above the law, and once you have broken the law, you should not allowed to hold public office.

If that was the case then plenty of MPs and others in public office should not be there either. Get a speeding ticket then out you go!

Parliament allows MPs to sit despite breaking laws and even after being sentenced to jail providing it is within the rules set out. As said before it is up to parliament to decide to enforce any rules broken and not the general public.

1 minute ago, Dromedary said:

But are they the ones complaining about partygate?

It is probably trivial though to the 117,213 people that as of June 2021 broke covid laws and also received fixed penalty notices.

Yes, the ones I heard on the radio are. 

Have a listen to Radio 4's Any Questions which aired last Friday. The first question to the panel of MPs was from a woman who lost her Mum due to Covid, and put it to the panel that one of those attending the parties at Number 10 could've shared the same public transport as a nurse or careworker who passed on the virus to a vulnerable person like her Mum

Any Questions? - Daisy Cooper MP, Gillian Keegan MP, Inaya Folarin Iman, David Lammy MP - BBC Sounds

Just now, Dromedary said:

If that was the case then plenty of MPs and others in public office should not be there either. Get a speeding ticket then out you go!

Parliament allows MPs to sit despite breaking laws and even after being sentenced to jail providing it is within the rules set out. As said before it is up to parliament to decide to enforce any rules broken and not the general public.

Isn't it the police's role to enforce any sanctions against rules broken?

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Yes, the ones I heard on the radio are. 

Shouldn't that be "the one" I heard on the radio? You do realise that the people who participate in that show are chosen don't you.

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Isn't it the police's role to enforce any sanctions against rules broken?

When it come to covid laws yes and that's what they have done in giving out fixed penalty notices to 117,213 people plus the 50 or so now at partygate.

When it come to breaches of parliamentary standards or rules broken by an individual MP in parliament then no. Litotes was saying that anyone who has broken the law should not be in public office even if that law they may have broken was trivial or not criminal as in a fixed penalty notice.

5 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Shouldn't that be "the one" I heard on the radio? You do realise that the people who participate in that show are chosen don't you.

When it come to covid laws yes and that's what they have done in giving out fixed penalty notices to 117,213 people plus the 50 or so now at partygate.

When it come to breaches of parliamentary standards or rules broken by an individual MP in parliament then no. Litotes was saying that anyone who has broken the law should not be in public office even if that law they may have broken was trivial or not criminal as in a fixed penalty notice.

Yes of course. 

Given that partygate is a much discussed topic at the moment, it's no surprise that there were going to be questions about it. 

17 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Litotes was saying that anyone who has broken the law should not be in public office even if that law they may have broken was trivial or not criminal as in a fixed penalty notice.

Perhaps we need clearer distinction between civil and criminal law... and clearer rules about public office.

Then we may get MPs and PMs considering their apparent willingness to break laws for a piece of cake!

I am also glad that Dromedary has identified the distinction between criminal law and civil law as being the red line for 'go' or 'no go' for the parliamentary conduct code.

I guess we will see him stand fast behind any calls for anyone who has been found guilty of a breach of criminal law to go...

Anyone such as those who beat their girlfriends or wives, who are racist, sexist or bullies, etc etc...

Guest sibon
28 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

I went to Any Questions a few years ago.

I wasn't chosen. I chose to attend.

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

Johnson is a criminal. By any reasonable definition. His crime(s) are not trivial either.

He's also unfit for office.