Boris And Carrie Johnson Fined For Party Gate Along With Rishi Sunak

Should Boris resign?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should Boris resign?

Guest sibon
11 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Not by Starmer 

Why do you say that?

It is quite clear that Starmer has boxed Johnson into a corner and currently has him on the ropes.

Edited by sibon

2 hours ago, sibon said:

How does it work?

I'd ask if you were serious, but I have read some of your other efforts at political commentary.

Good so you understand now how our democracy works then.....:)

A free press and freedom of expression are cornerstones of democracy.

Yes I know and I never made out otherwise so don't try and twist it.

What I asked was how does it work in the context of getting a PMs or MPs resignation as the press or the public are not authorised legally in anyway to force that to happen so they cannot hold them to account in any meaningful way other than giving an opinion on what they would like to happen. It is parliaments business to hold any MP or PM to account for breaches of their rules and as we have seen recently they are doing just that. They are our elected democratic representatives and that is the way it works, unfortunate from your point of view but nevertheless true.

So now I ask again, how can the press or public hold an MP or PM to account? Voicing their opinion at the ballot box is about the only option and even then they do not get a say in who the PM will be.

Edited by Dromedary

Guest sibon
5 hours ago, Dromedary said:

So now I ask again, how can the press or public hold an MP or PM to account? Voicing their opinion at the ballot box is about the only option and even then they do not get a say in who the PM will be.

If you asked a different question, you might find the answer to your dreary reductionist one.

Why have Tory MPs just run for the hills, rather than contesting the Opposition motion?

Answer that and you will maybe improve your understanding of the relationship between press, public,  local party activists and MPs.

6 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Johnson is doing Starmers job for him . Starmer is ineffectual 

I agree that Johnson is self destructing. I think that Starmer is doing a decent job of assisting him.

It is getting towards time for him to make some proper policy announcements to go alongside his hammering of Johnson.

12 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Johnson is doing Starmers job for him . Starmer is ineffectual 

It’s public sector paragon versus Jack the lad, not exactly the ideal candidates for the Prime Minister’s position, is there anyone interesting out there?

Edited by crookesey

7 hours ago, sibon said:

But Johnson is hiding in India. The entire cabinet have gone to ground. And the Tory whips have just conceded a vote about the propriety of the PM.

And he's clearly loving it - the smirk is back as he plays at being the great statesman on the world stage, strutting around.  However, for once I do agree with him when he says "I have nothing to hide..."  How true.  We ALL know what you did, Boris.

As his colleague said yesterday, "He's toast."   It's just a matter of time before he  pops out of Number Ten for the last time.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

That old chestnut.  Those people working in Downing Street who received fixed penalty notices will also have lost loved ones just like the rest of the country.

He's not hiding in India. He's getting on with being Prime Minister while too many old washerwomen in Parliament just want to discuss nonsense.

It's not nonsense though.  You don't seem to care that he broke the rules and lied about it.

5 hours ago, crookesey said:

It’s public sector paragon versus Jack the lad, not exactly the ideal candidates the for Prime Minister’s position, is there anyone interesting out there?

On economic policy I think it's much more nuanced than that.

One thing I will say in Boris Johnson's credit, he genuinely doesn't want to impose austerity. Whereas the likes of Steve Baker and some other right wingers are using this opportunity to push the party further to the right. Having said that, I just don't think the public would wear austerity for the poor anymore.

5 hours ago, sibon said:

If you asked a different question, you might find the answer to your dreary reductionist one.

But I didn't, I asked a question to you in reply to your initial post of #212. 

Quote:

"Are the press and the public not allowed to hold politicians to account?"

Just because you now dont like the question I asked and obviously realise you made a mistake and can't answer it you say it a reductionist one and need to ask a different question. I thought that as in the past you being in a school even as a dinner lady you would be able to answer such a simple question. :)

Guest sibon
6 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

But I didn't, I asked a question to you in reply to your initial post of #212. 

Quote:

"Are the press and the public not allowed to hold politicians to account?"

Just because you now dont like the question I asked and obviously realise you made a mistake and can't answer it you say it a reductionist one and need to ask a different question. I thought that as in the past you being in a school even as a dinner lady you would be able to answer such a simple question. :)

If anyone can translate this, please let me know what it means.

ETA. I've re-read this several times and I'm fummoxed.

However, it is very clear that the press and the public directly affect the decisions made regarding the office of Prime Minister.

Edited by sibon