Boris And Carrie Johnson Fined For Party Gate Along With Rishi Sunak

Should Boris resign?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should Boris resign?

55 minutes ago, Mister M said:

And the fact that you call it trivial nonsense has nothing to do with the fact that it incriminates Boris Johnson I suppose?

There is plenty of evidence to suggest Boris lied. He might think it's trivial but many don't.  Yes there are more important things to be talking about but the fact we're still talking about party gate is Johnsons fault.

2 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

There is plenty of evidence to suggest Boris lied. He might think it's trivial but many don't.  Yes there are more important things to be talking about but the fact we're still talking about party gate is Johnsons fault.

Agreed, though neither Johnson nor West77 will ever accept the principle of personal responsibility - which is ironic given how the Tories love to tell everyone else to take personal responsibility.

33 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Agreed, though neither Johnson nor West77 will ever accept the principle of personal responsibility - which is ironic given how the Tories love to tell everyone else to take personal responsibility.

Personal responsibility, honesty and integerity,  Johnson or anyone who supports him has a severe lack of. 

On 22/04/2022 at 14:03, sibon said:

You are talking absolute nonsense. The government only governs by the permission of the people.

You don't seem to understand how our democracy works do you.. While it is true that a government is voted into power by a majority vote of the people it does not mean that the government needs the permission of the people to govern.

That permission is being withdrawn day by day. If you don't believe me, take a look at today's Times, or The Telegraph or twitter.

No its not being withdrawn day by day. All that is happening is the government and the PM are being criticized by some of the press and some of the public. A government is given permission to govern by the Queen and not the people or press so any idea of that permission being withdrawn by them is completely bogus. The only person in the uk that can withdraw permission for a government to govern is the Queen and that is also at the behest of the present government as well. 

Johnson is toast, just as May was before him. Different reasons, same mechanism.

Not is not the same mechanism. What happened was May chose to resign because she could not get support from parliament on three occasions for her Brexit choices which meant a Tory leadership challenge for the choice of PM to take her place. Once again the people or press had no say in the matter.

The people withdraw their support, the Tory party act to save their own careers. It has always been that way.

Yes it's called democracy and the only time people are involved is when elections take place and its there that the people can then use their vote and withdraw their support.

Edited by Dromedary

23 hours ago, Mister M said:

The poll tax riots were a key factor in getting Thatcher booted out of office.

They were just one part of that factor and another was her opposition to have any greater integration with the EU. Something Major later took a hold on when he signed the Maastricht Treaty and probably one of the reasons he was chosen as PM.

Wasn’t it Major and a few others who took us into the Exchange Rate Mechanism after they got rid of Mrs Thatcher.   Thatcher warned them about losing control of interest rates, one of the reasons she refused to join the ERM.  I remember the interest rates going up each day until we had to come out of it after a week or so.  A very worrying time for me wondering how I was going to pay my mortgage.  

Guest sibon
5 hours ago, Dromedary said:

You don't seem to understand how our democracy works do you.

Yes it's called democracy and the only time people are involved is when elections take place and its there that the people can then use their vote and withdraw their support.

I think that you are the one with comprehension issues regarding democracy.

In a democracy, power resides in the people. At all times.

Here, have a read of this and see if you can understand how the Tory grandees are bowing to the will of the people:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/23/boris-johnson-should-go-sooner-rather-than-later-say-top-tory-mps?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

He is toast

2 hours ago, sibon said:

I think that you are the one with comprehension issues regarding democracy.

In a democracy, power resides in the people. At all times.

Sorry to burst your balloon but that is certainly not true of the UK.

As explained several times, because our democracy is a representative democracy it is not run by the people as they have no power over it. The only power people have in that instance is at the ballot box where they have the chance to vote for their representative MP in parliament, and that is the sum total of their actual powers. What you are stating is only true in regards to a direct democracy where the people are directly involved in the governing of a country so hold the power.

Here you go, a simple guide that even you should understand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zwvqtfr/revision/9

Page 9 is about the media and their role and page 10 is about the pressure groups who are around to try and influence those in power.

Guest sibon
6 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Sorry to burst your balloon but that is certainly not true of the UK.

As explained several times, because our democracy is a representative democracy it is not run by the people as they have no power over it. The only power people have in that instance is at the ballot box where they have the chance to vote for their representative MP in parliament, and that is the sum total of their actual powers. What you are stating is only true in regards to a direct democracy where the people are directly involved in the governing of a country so hold the power.

Having read many examples of you misunderstanding the point, using more than one username, I'm not surprised that you can't understand the concept of democracy.

I'll leave you to BBC bitesize. The rest of us can all sit and watch as the power of public opinion finishes off the odious Johnson.

I try to see both sides of this issue. But....if the dreadful war in Ukraine had not happened when it did, Boris would have gone by now.  As it is, at the first sign of trouble his minders had him on a plane some where out of the firing line, playing  Boris the Statesman.

Who is the alternative Tory leader, you may ask? Well, when Boris was elected leader he made sure that his opponent - Jeremy Hunt - who is a very capable candidate - never got into the cabinet where he could build a platform, etc.  I wanted to like Boris, and had hoped for better. But he has let me - and everyone else - down badly. 

You feel that one more whoopsie and he will have to go. Slippery b***er.