Boris And Carrie Johnson Fined For Party Gate Along With Rishi Sunak

Should Boris resign?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should Boris resign?

Just a passing thought, but please bare with me. A lot of you guys are so keen to see the back of Boris that you haven’t given his replacement a thought. My call is Liz Truss who I predict will make Margaret Thatcher look like Mary Poppins, you’ll very likely be posting on a ‘Bring Back Boris’ thread. :hihi:

2 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Just a passing thought, but please bare with me. A lot of you guys are so keen to see the back of Boris that you haven’t given his replacement a thought. My call is Liz Truss who I predict will make Margaret Thatcher look like Mary Poppins, you’ll very likely be posting on a ‘Bring Back Boris’ thread. :hihi:

Women don’t scare me, I’ve had two mothers-in-law! 😂.  …..(Gets coat)

41 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Time will tell whether public opinion changes enough for Boris to lose the next general election.  The BBC, other media outlets and politicians are using propaganda techniques to create a false impression that the majority of public opinion is against Boris. 

On the specific issue under discussion do you have any evidence for this?

32 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Time will tell whether public opinion changes enough for Boris to lose the next general election.  The BBC, other media outlets and politicians are using propaganda techniques to create a false impression that the majority of public opinion is against Boris. 

It won't make a difference to Boris's electability, because the only people outraged with him attending a birthday party won't vote for him anyway.

There are many out there that strongly diagreed with the severe lockdowns, to whom it won't make a difference in their vote. Many who themselves defied the extreme rules.

Parents don't always live by the rules they make for their children.

Neither do the politicians who endlessly flog the climate change scare.

Human nature.

10 minutes ago, crookesey said:

The only credible evidence that I can think of is the result of a General Election.

If West77 believes that "The BBC, other media outlets and politicians are using propaganda techniques to create a false impression that the majority of public opinion is against Boris", then presumably  he can quote plenty of opinion polls to prove that people do back Boris, and don't care about 'partygate' stories.

2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Regarding the media and politicians it's a case of history repeating it self.  They falsely claimed the electorate had change its mind regarding leaving the EU.  They falsely predicted Boris would have the shortest time in office after he kept losing votes in parliament and the supreme court wrongly judged the prorogation of parliament was unlawful.  Regarding current public opinion the normal honest people I mix with are concerned with the huge price increase in fuel (electricity, gas and petrol) and the situation in Ukraine and have no interest in any gatherings in Downing Street.

Agreed.

I will add the opposition parties want Boris to resign because they know a new Tory leader will not command the same level of support he had in the 2019 General Election meaning they are likely to take more seats from the Tories in a General Election.  I not suggesting the Tory party are short of candidates to be an excellent Prime Minister.

The people you mix with won't be a large enough sample to draw any statistically significant conclusions about people's attitudes to partygate. It may also not be a representative cross section of the population either.

Many Tory MPs have been quoted as saying that the reason they're not moving against Johnson, is precisely because they think that there's no-one suitable to replace him.

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

The people you mix with won't be a large enough sample to draw any statistically significant conclusions about people's attitudes to partygate. It may also not be a representative cross section of the population either.

Many Tory MPs have been quoted as saying that the reason they're not moving against Johnson, is precisely because they think that there's no-one suitable to replace him.

A now sadly long dead left wing head teacher mate once told me, after consuming several pints, that he had received a missive from the Labour Party reminding him to attempt to ensure that his teachers were towing the party line. I’m minded to think that he would have believed partygate, and would have done his best to convince his teaching staff of similar, would that be ‘representative’ ?

8 minutes ago, crookesey said:

A now sadly long dead left wing head teacher mate once told me, after consuming several pints, that he had received a missive from the Labour Party reminding him to attempt to ensure that his teachers were towing the party line. I’m minded to think that he would have believed partygate, and would have done his best to convince his teaching staff of similar, would that be ‘representative’ ?

Representative of what? 

One person's opinion is anecdotal. The deceased teacher may have had an opinion about partygate, and he may have tried to convince his colleagues of the rightness of his opinion. Whether his opinion carried much weight would depend on whether they trusted his opinion; how far his opinion accorded with their experiences and views; whether they trusted the Prime Minister and his version of events; and whether the Prime Minister had lied before.