South Yorkshire Mayoral Election 2022

AKGT

21 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Why don't you ask the candidate.  Do we know if there was available companies to undertake such a large job within the relevant time frames? Do we know whether they were competitive in price when compared to rival printers? Is it considered more a priority for a candidate to be mindful of their expenditure balanced against picking a more expensive supplier just because they happen to be local....

Only they can really answer I guess.

It was an excellent question sorry your suggestion of asking the candidate is farcical they did not produce it and apart from providing copy they had no other responsibility for it.  Yes it is true that there may not have been local suppliers who were capable or competitive but the question still should be asked AND answered

On 16/04/2022 at 20:13, RollingJ said:

Anyone with half a brain could have told Hallam Labour it was a stupid idea - but would they have listened??

Labour had been trying for years to un-seat Nick Clegg, with no success, even when Labour put forward some very capable candidates.

it's a generally accepted guideline that people who stand for an election, have to disappear for a few years if they don't win.

in these situations, it can be very hard finding a competent candidate, who wants to run against a long-term successful incumbent. It would be a bad idea for the candidate, and it would be a bad idea for the party - why throw away one of your good candidates? Remember, if they don't win, they're out of the game.

Jared wasn't meant to win, he basically volunteered to lose. except he didn't...

13 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Labour had been trying for years to un-seat Nick Clegg, with no success, even when Labour put forward some very capable candidates.

it's a generally accepted guideline that people who stand for an election, have to disappear for a few years if they don't win.

in these situations, it can be very hard finding a competent candidate, who wants to run against a long-term successful incumbent. It would be a bad idea for the candidate, and it would be a bad idea for the party - why throw away one of your good candidates? Remember, if they don't win, they're out of the game.

Jared wasn't meant to win, he basically volunteered to lose. except he didn't...

Then milked it for all it was worth 

On 16/04/2022 at 09:54, spilldig said:

Yes indeed. They must have money to burn.

In the mayoral election, distribution of the candidate information leaflet to all registered voters is required by law. 

It tells you this on page 2 of the leaflet if you bother to read it.

35 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

In the mayoral election, distribution of the candidate information leaflet to all registered voters is required by law. 

It tells you this on page 2 of the leaflet if you bother to read it.

True but still doesnt explain why they chose a WY company to produce such leaflet. 

I have asked them but I dont expect a reply

1 hour ago, sheffbag said:

True but still doesnt explain why they chose a WY company to produce such leaflet. 

I have asked them but I dont expect a reply

All public sector organisations have procurement rules they need to follow when buying in goods or services. Failure to follow the rules leaves them open to legal challenge.

There is no mechanism that I know of in these procurement rules which would allow them to only buy from local suppliers based in their area. There has to be open and fair competition for contracts.

Often, organisations like the MCA or the Council will provide help and advice to local companies ( particularly smaller ones) on how to be able to bid for contracts.