South Yorkshire Mayoral Election 2022

AKGT

Thanks Dave. 

I guess my question still remains the same - what positive affect to the region has his role or him acting in that role achieved for the region ? 

Being crass for a second - 80k over 4 years is 320k - Is there a ROI that can be measured ? I do take your point on devolution 😊

Edited by srtaylo0

Heard most of the candidates speaking on Radio Sheffield yesterday with ths exception of the Green's candidate who had a prior engagement. 

Apparently the 'Big' thing, main concern the candidates have highlighted is public transport, particularly in Sheffield.  Everyone of the had a solution to the problem.  Funny,  the last time the Mayoral post was up for grabs, all the candidates had a solution to the problem then & Labour's Dan Jarvis won yet apparently the public transport problem is now worse than it was back then.

Surely the problem is the quality of the bus companies we allow the operate in South Yorkshire as a whole, not just Sheffield & why having highlighted the problems years ago, why hasn't Dan Jarvis fixed them? 

How long does it take? 

• Thanks 1

So maybe a measure is how much improvement or plans to improve has there been in the last four years ?

in my area I recall a survey and some ideas to improve bus movement by faffing with road junctions etc. The star also reported this a year ago ….

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/transport/sheffield-city-region-leaders-consider-taking-buses-back-into-public-ownership-3182769

But I cannot see any real changes a year later ? 

Thats a question as I’m not a frequent bus / tram traveller. That said my elderly relatives don’t have many good words for the services. So bringing the conversation back on track -  Im thinking that the labour mayor is a waste as he has achieved little to nothing. So 

1 a new candidate might be better

2 the role is silly and needs scrapping. With the public money being better spent on day care for elderly or those that need help. 

Edited by srtaylo0
Added a star article link.
  • Like 1

Guest busdriver1
On 30/04/2022 at 16:25, Baron99 said:

Surely the problem is the quality of the bus companies we allow the operate in South Yorkshire as a whole, not just Sheffield & why having highlighted the problems years ago, why hasn't Dan Jarvis fixed them? 

How long does it take? 

The answer is simple. We do not "allow" them to operate there, they are a business and have every right to do so.

The reason Dan Jarvis has not "fixed" them is he has not gone about it the correct way. He was just posturing and did not have the powers to do what he claimed and did not try by going through the correct channels. 

If the powers that be got the powers they crave it is highly doubtful they would be able to "fix" them as the solutions would cost a lot more than the present situation with little or no tangible benefit.

On 29/04/2022 at 19:43, srtaylo0 said:

So the mayors jd (or description of role) is pasted below.  As well as his salary of 80k. It’s not a lot for a big strategic role but then what tangible benefits has he brought to the region. IMHO 80k could pay the salary of people that could really make a difference to the community (looking after elderly etc). 

I guess it’s hard to measure but I’m not sure I’ve seen advancement in the areas defined below in the last 3/4 years  ?

Buses have not improved. 

Devolution - errr - all I’ve seen there are arguments and nothing tangible ?? Again would welcome correction !

Skills and Housing ??? - errrr - again not really sure how he has helped there - was he instrumental in bringing the likes of Boeing or mclaren to the area ? What about John Lewis ? Or other vacators of the region ?

like I said in my last post please correct me. 😊

The Mayor is a major figure in the political life of the area. They act as an ambassador for the area; promoting it as a place to live, work, visit and invest in.

The Mayor is Chair of the Mayoral Combined Authority and a member of the South Yorkshire Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP).

The Mayor and the other Leaders of the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority work with the LEP, central government and other organisations in pursuing shared goals and delivering key strategic plans.

The Mayor has certain public transport powers relating to how buses may operate in the future.

The Mayoral Combined Authority has now agreed to move forward with the South Yorkshire Devolution Deal. The Devolution Deal brings with it £30m a year in additional funding for economic growth, as well as power over the adult education budget totalling around £35m each year.

It also means additional powers for the Mayoral Combined Authority, in areas including transport, skills, and housing.

On the advice of an Independent Remuneration Panel, the Combined Authority has agreed to pay an allowance of 79,000 to the Mayor of South Yorkshire (payable from the 28th July 2020). The Mayor has confirmed he will use this to support organisations who have helped hold our communities together during the pandemic, and those that make a valuable contribution to our lives in South Yorkshire.

As you say that 80,000 pound could pay for many useful jobs, or even knock some off the council tax bill. I bet that thought never occured.

22 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

80,000 divided by how many properties in Sheffield is what, exactly? If you are desperate to have the quid (or less), send me your bank details 

If it  works out at half a penny it's better in our pockets than thiers.  I suppose if you want to chuck money around you could offer them a donation. 

On 29/04/2022 at 19:43, srtaylo0 said:

So the mayors jd (or description of role) is pasted below.  As well as his salary of 80k. It’s not a lot for a big strategic role but then what tangible benefits has he brought to the region. IMHO 80k could pay the salary of people that could really make a difference to the community (looking after elderly etc). 

I guess it’s hard to measure but I’m not sure I’ve seen advancement in the areas defined below in the last 3/4 years  ?

Buses have not improved. 

Devolution - errr - all I’ve seen there are arguments and nothing tangible ?? Again would welcome correction !

Skills and Housing ??? - errrr - again not really sure how he has helped there - was he instrumental in bringing the likes of Boeing or mclaren to the area ? What about John Lewis ? Or other vacators of the region ?

like I said in my last post please correct me. 😊

The Mayor is a major figure in the political life of the area. They act as an ambassador for the area; promoting it as a place to live, work, visit and invest in.

The Mayor is Chair of the Mayoral Combined Authority and a member of the South Yorkshire Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP).

The Mayor and the other Leaders of the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority work with the LEP, central government and other organisations in pursuing shared goals and delivering key strategic plans.

The Mayor has certain public transport powers relating to how buses may operate in the future.

The Mayoral Combined Authority has now agreed to move forward with the South Yorkshire Devolution Deal. The Devolution Deal brings with it £30m a year in additional funding for economic growth, as well as power over the adult education budget totalling around £35m each year.

It also means additional powers for the Mayoral Combined Authority, in areas including transport, skills, and housing.

On the advice of an Independent Remuneration Panel, the Combined Authority has agreed to pay an allowance of 79,000 to the Mayor of South Yorkshire (payable from the 28th July 2020). The Mayor has confirmed he will use this to support organisations who have helped hold our communities together during the pandemic, and those that make a valuable contribution to our lives in South Yorkshire.

Role as advertised vs work actually done

55NCLek.png

• Haha 1