Bbc : Biased Broadcasting Corporation

5 hours ago, Tyke02 said:

I have witnessed more instances of male on male violence between apparently willing participants than I have attacks on innocent bystanders. No idea where you would get statistics on that though.

What is readily available is the separate report on  sexual offences from ONS which shows a very different picture of the risks for males and females: 

"The Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) provides the best measure of victimisation and estimated that for the year ending March 2020 there were 773,000 adults aged 16 to 74 years who were victims of sexual assault (including attempts) in the last year, with almost four times as many female victims (618,000) as male victims (155,000)." 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/sexualoffencesinenglandandwalesoverview/march2020

I would very much dispute that, even for many contretemps where both appear to be willing. because men in particular do not want to appear weak and or frightened. I would bet a lot of money that in the great majority of these incidents at least one of them really does not want to be there. Ironically there are probably quite a few where neither wants to be in that situation but they don't feel they can back down or they will look like they are submissive or giving in.

You are talking about sexual assaults, like all the others somehow don't count....

When you start talking about "victimisation" you are on dodgy ground anyway because that is a subjective (and made up) term.

How can you compare the two anyway ? Particularly when stuff like slapping someone's arse is now, apparently, considered sexual assault. What is worse, having your nose broken or your arse slapped ? I know which one I'd prefer.

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

would very much dispute that, even for many contretemps where both appear to be willing. because men in particular do not want to appear weak and or frightened.

I did say "apparently".  What are you disputing?  Men not wanting to appear weak might be what leads to so many injuries.  Who'd have thought it?

You are talking about sexual assaults, like all the others somehow don't count....

When you start talking about "victimisation" you are on dodgy ground anyway because that is a subjective (and made up) term.

I stated that I was talking about sexual assaults. That doesn't mean the others don't count, but that doesn't mean that sexual assaults are meaningless, or indeed equivalent. 

I wasn't talking about victimisation, I was quoting a government statistical publication. If you want to know what the ONS means by victimisation I believe there is a glossary and further information in the link provided.

Given that the report you quoted and the one I quoted are from the same source, how do you justify accepting one on face value and seeking to rubbish the other?

Edited by Tyke02

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

How can you compare the two anyway ? Particularly when stuff like slapping someone's arse is now, apparently, considered sexual assault. What is worse, having your nose broken or your arse slapped ? I know which one I'd prefer.

Perhaps you are sharing too much about your predilections.

However it would make an interesting new banner on your shop front.

17 hours ago, Chekhov said:

17 hours ago, cgksheff said:

Such a poor understanding of the English language.

Not really, slapping someones bottom is officially sexual assault :

Slapped bottom WAS sex assault, says woman PC
A WOMAN police officer has spoken out after a labourer who slapped her bottom was jailed for a month and put on the sex offenders' register for seven years.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/slapped-bottom-was-sex-assault-says-1032217

It is also interesting , and typical, that  a woman who did the same thing was only cautioned (though TBH I think the bloke who complained is pathetic) :

Woman avoids jail after slapping man’s bottom outside nightclub
Hannah Phillips, 20, was charged with sexual assault following incident in Portsmouth

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/woman-slaps-man-portsmouth-nightclub-b1913828.html

The problem with slapping someone's arse being defined as sexual assault is it demeans the term, Whenever I hear about a sexual assault now I do not think "oh that's serious", no, my first thought now is "what did he or she actually do" ? 

Guest sibon
4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Not really, slapping someones bottom is officially sexual assault :

Slapped bottom WAS sex assault, says woman PC
A WOMAN police officer has spoken out after a labourer who slapped her bottom was jailed for a month and put on the sex offenders' register for seven years.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/slapped-bottom-was-sex-assault-says-1032217

It is also interesting , and typical, that  a woman who did the same thing was only cautioned (though TBH I think the bloke who complained is pathetic) :

Woman avoids jail after slapping man’s bottom outside nightclub
Hannah Phillips, 20, was charged with sexual assault following incident in Portsmouth

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/woman-slaps-man-portsmouth-nightclub-b1913828.html

The problem with slapping someone's arse being defined as sexual assault is it demeans the term, Whenever I hear about a sexual assault now I do not think "oh that's serious", no, my first thought now is "what did he or she actually do" ? 

Would you like me to take that shovel away?

It would be for the best really.

5 minutes ago, sibon said:

Checkov has a point.

When a society has to regulate and legislate each human physical interaction, it's a huge job.  Everybody has to be treated as a miscreant. After all. we are all equal under the law, right?

It's hard to know when a proffered outstretched hand douring an introduction, might be seen as an invasion of physical space, a super spreader, or a simple pat on the shoulder at a funeral, a hug at a wedding, Somebody, somewhere will always find offense, so the rules, have to be made for them.. Likwise photographing your kids ball team, is seen as dangerous and potentially paedo behaviour, so the rules have to be made for them.

The Government even have forms for potential casual sexual contacts in the pub.

Easiest thing to do is not touch anybody. No more dancing, especially the changing partners bit.

The guy who manufactures those plastic stick-on footprints hit the jackpot. Lets people know where to stand and where to walk.

A brave new progressive World, but you can have it!  :)

Man is a social animal!

Folks here laugh, when I tell them what goes on in your world.

They think you're all nutcases, and I'm inclined to agree!

• Thanks 1

Guest sibon
4 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Checkov has a point.

His point appears to be that smacking a stranger on the arse is no big deal. 

I don’t agree.

1 hour ago, sibon said:

More arrogance, you are so sure you are right, even about something you cannot possibly be, because its subjective.

4 minutes ago, sibon said:

His point appears to be that smacking a stranger on the arse is no big deal. 

I don’t agree.

If a woman smacked me on the arse it would be no big deal to me, and it CERTAINLY would not be anywhere near as serious as someone punching me in the face. Yet the way some people talk they think it is, possibly more so the way they bang on about it. Just shows how mad the world has become. 

Edited by Chekhov

Guest sibon
3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

More arrogance, you are so sure you are right, even about something you cannot possibly be, because its subjective.

Sexual assault isn’t subjective. 

It is a matter of law.