Bbc : Biased Broadcasting Corporation

How biased is this ?

On 2 April, on BBC TV's 'Politics London,' MP Rushanara Ali repeatedly claimed "4,000 people a year die (in London) because of toxic air," further repeating a second false claim, that “118 people have died in Sutton" in the last year. The BBC then repeated this false claim as a headline, with video clip, on social media - at time of writing their post has almost 500,000 views on Twitter alone.
This claim is absolute nonsense. These “4,000 people in London" or “118 people in Sutton” DO NOT EXIST. 
As we explained at length in our in-depth report HERE, and in shorter format HERE, these claims are totally misleading statistical constructs, based on an Imperial College modelling report (no, really) commissioned by offices of the London Mayor. 
In fact, the Office for National Statistics record ONE death due to air pollution in London over TWENTY years from 2001 - 2021.
It's not acceptable for the BBC to allow this ludicrous claim, virtually unchallenged, on the airwaves - and then add insult to injury by leading with it on official social media accounts.

Bit like that BBC God David Attenborough claiming that the flying insect population is down 40% in this country in 20 years  That was based on a "citizen scientists" piece of research counting insects squashed onto car number plates ! But that is forgetting the advances in car design (specifically aerodynamics) in the intervening 20 years, and, almost incredibley, it was estimated that the average speed of the cars in the earlier sample was about 10mph higher than in the second one .

The Guardian, unsurprisingly, claims a 60% fall.

Even if there is a fall I'd be amazed if it was because it was getting warmer, I'd have expected the reveser to be the case !

On 05/04/2023 at 10:25, Chekhov said:

On 2 April, on BBC TV's 'Politics London,' MP Rushanara Ali repeatedly claimed "4,000 people a year die (in London) because of toxic air," further repeating a second false claim, that “118 people have died in Sutton" in the last year. The BBC then repeated this false claim as a headline, with video clip, on social media - at time of writing their post has almost 500,000 views on Twitter alone.
This claim is absolute nonsense. These “4,000 people in London" or “118 people in Sutton” DO NOT EXIST. 
As we explained at length in our in-depth report HERE, and in shorter format HERE, these claims are totally misleading statistical constructs, based on an Imperial College modelling report (no, really) commissioned by offices of the London Mayor. 
In fact, the Office for National Statistics record ONE death due to air pollution in London over TWENTY years from 2001 - 2021.
It's not acceptable for the BBC to allow this ludicrous claim, virtually unchallenged, on the airwaves - and then add insult to injury by leading with it on official social media accounts., I'd have expected the reveser to be the case !

These are not your words. Who are you quoting?

19 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

These are not your words. Who are you quoting?

The Labour MP named was paired with a Con on the programme who hotly contested her views using the same arguments as reiterated above. The BBC presenter hardly spoke. The programme team posted video links of both speakers to twitter.

Blatant bias apparently.

10 hours ago, Longcol said:

The quote is relevant on the Congestion charge / pollution charge thread as well as this one, but different aspects of is.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

The Beeb were referring to the Frank Hester "racist comments" furore (whilst introducing an article on "racism in business"), but what was unforgiveable - but typical for the Beeb - was they just read out the most contentious bits of Hester's alleged comments.

This is what he said :

"It's like trying not to be racist but you see Diane Abbott on the TV, and you're just like… you just want to hate all black women because she's there.

"And I don't hate all black women at all, but I think she should be shot."

And this is the bit the Beeb quoted.

How biased is that ?

26 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

The Beeb were referring to the Frank Hester "racist comments" furore (whilst introducing an article on "racism in business"), but what was unforgiveable - but typical for the Beeb - was they just read out the most contentious bits of Hester's alleged comments.

This is what he said :

"It's like trying not to be racist but you see Diane Abbott on the TV, and you're just like… you just want to hate all black women because she's there.

"And I don't hate all black women at all, but I think she should be shot."

And this is the bit the Beeb quoted.

How biased is that ?

Like all news stations, they have a bias, even though the BBC is supposed to have impairtiality. 

Any one who thinks the BBC is more right than left needs to give their heads a shake, but it's the best of a bad bunch I guess.

Unfortunately they are turning too PC ( woke) for my liking.  I love my sport, especially football and just like sky sports, they have made their football shows barely watchable. For example, Football focus on a Saturday afternoon was so popular but now is losing viewers by the thousands due to it's insistence on shoehorning women's football into the show and having presenters due to their gender and race rather than their quality.  It's quite funny to be fair.

Anyone doubting these remarks then just look at the BBC football fixtures page.

The other week they had women's international friendly matches before the men's domestic games!!  Why would they do that?  Which game has more interest in the UK...

Angola v Uruguay women.

Portsmouth v Bolton.

I rest my case.

• Like 1