Bbc : Biased Broadcasting Corporation

16 hours ago, altus said:

Well, let's see, as a straight white middle class male...

• I've never been attacked, stopped and searched, had a loan denied, etc. because of my skin colour.
  • I've never been attacked because of my sexuality (although I have been nearly attacked because someone wrongly assumed something about my sexuality).
  • Nobody has ever made derogatory comments about my gender identity (unlike my trans sibling).
  • I've never been attacked, insulted, assumed I'm less good at a job, passed over for a promotion, etc., because I have a penis.

You've likely never been beheaded, or stoned to death for adultery or being gay either. Fingers chopped off for pilfering apples.

England is/was a white majority country.

Accident of birth?  :)

Edited by trastrick

17 hours ago, sibon said:

I wanted a hamster when I was younger. I was denied one by the matriarchy. My mum said that I couldn’t have one because I was allergic.

Don’t underestimate the scars caused by being denied my own rodent simply because of wheezing.

I missed out on having a train set when I was younger.  Maybe we could form a support group & as we'd be so niche on a Venn diagram, we'd probably get Govt. funding. 

Anyway back to is the BBC biased?   A few months ago I saw the editor of BBC News being interviewed.  He said that they are constantly being accused of being biased by both the Tories & Labour in equal measure virtually everyday of the week, so they must be doing something right & by the very nature of these continuous accusations, it means they are not biased at all. 

Of course, as the BBC News editor was being interviewed as part of the BBC's own 'Newswatch' programme will no doubt be seen by a few 'terminal conspiracy theorists' as proof of conspiracy & bias in favour of the BBC. 

18 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Maybe that is because you replied so fast I had not finished, am I supposed to be guilty of something ?

Why are you trying to make something of nothing ? Is it because you have a poor argument ?

Perhaps you could make sure you've finished your thought before hitting submit. 

But speaking of poor arguments, I've just had a quick shufty through your edits and I'm having a bit of bother trying to follow your thesis, stemming as it does from your initial litany of complaints about how, as a representative of the white middle-class male, you i) believe that you are at the bottom  of the pecking order, ii) believe that that every other group gets preferential treatment, and iii) deny that your white middle-class maleness has  provided you with the inherent advantages and privileges associated with being a member of that group. 

It hits the skids, well, right away, actually, when you attempt to support those complaints by citing examples of groups against which targeted abuse and violence is an acknowledged phenomenon (racist, homophobic, transphobic and misogynistic), these groups presumably being those that you think get the preferential treatment not offered to you, the white middle-class male. 

So you apparently propose that as these targeted groups exist, white middle-class males should also be assessed accordingly, backed up by the notion of misandry and that men are more likely to be victims of violent crime.

Now, perhaps it's my poor little woman brain, but I'm seeing several little floundering confounding variables here, and points where you don't so much jump to a conclusion as bound enthusiastically, untethered by silly notions of logic and joined-up thinking. 

Perhaps you could clarify your position by offering up some more examples of how you, as a white middle-class man, are part of a targeted group that's at the bottom of the pecking order, failing to get the preferential treatment offered to other groups. 

Or perhaps some other male members would like to chime in?

Edited by Guest
class not age

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

OK, not sure about the heterosexual bit, but men are far more likely to be a victim of violence :

Men were more likely to be victims of CSEW [crime survey of England & Wales]  violent crime than women (2% of men compared with 1.3% of women1, Appendix Table 1). This was true for all types of violence, with the exception of domestic violence, where women were more likely to be victims (0.3% of women and 0.1% of men, Nature of violent crime appendix tables). The year ending March 2020 CSEW showed that:

stranger violence showed the largest difference in victimisation between men and women (1.2% compared with 0.4% respectively)

0.7% of men and 0.5% of women experienced acquaintance violence

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/thenatureofviolentcrimeinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2020

I have witnessed more instances of male on male violence between apparently willing participants than I have attacks on innocent bystanders. No idea where you would get statistics on that though.

What is readily available is the separate report on  sexual offences from ONS which shows a very different picture of the risks for males and females: 

"The Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) provides the best measure of victimisation and estimated that for the year ending March 2020 there were 773,000 adults aged 16 to 74 years who were victims of sexual assault (including attempts) in the last year, with almost four times as many female victims (618,000) as male victims (155,000)." 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/sexualoffencesinenglandandwalesoverview/march2020

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

If psychological "abuse" is factored in I would have thought the numbers would be about the same, with, if anything, women being more likely to use it.

Coercive control: behaviour that stops short of serious physical violence, but amounts to extreme psychological and emotional abuse

Eg. 95% of victims were women and 74% of perpetrators were men

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Personally I think psychological abuse is actually worse (excluding serious violent assault, obviously). I remember being in a  relationship and I'd have rather my then girlfriend slapped me than go on and on at me for hours and hours. And I am pretty sure many men on here know what I am talking about.....

I don't.  Chekhov thinks that other male members might know what he's talking about here, so again, men of SF, do please feel free to offer up some  examples of your womenfolk 'going on and on at you' in this context of domestic violence and psychological abuse.  Don't forget to indicate how your evidence supports his thesis that  white middle-class males are at the bottom of the pecking order compared to other groups.

7 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Coercive control: behaviour that stops short of serious physical violence, but amounts to extreme psychological and emotional abuse

Eg. 95% of victims were women and 74% of perpetrators were men

I don't.  Chekhov thinks that other male members might know what he's talking about here, so again, men of SF, do please feel free to offer up some  examples of your womenfolk 'going on and on at you' in this context of domestic violence and psychological abuse.  Don't forget to indicate how your evidence supports his thesis that  white middle-class males are at the bottom of the pecking order compared to other groups.

I have no complaints about my relationships with women. Wouldn't/couldn't live without them.

But one does wonder why the terms "hen pecked husband", 'nagging wife", "shrew", "p****-whipped", "b***, "dragon",  found such currency. :)

Surely they are not all as virtuous as you? 

Edited by trastrick

4 minutes ago, trastrick said:

But one does wonder why the terms "hen pecked husband", 'nagging wife", "shrew", "p****-whipped", "b***, "dragon",  found such currency. :)

I know, right?  It's a complete mystery.  One does indeed wonder how some men could come up with such terms.  Perhaps you have some more examples you could share with the group?

I have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying having new blokes pop up to support my proposal, initially directed at Chekhov's posts, that some posts on here serve as both a reply to whichever post said bloke is grappling with and their own inherent response to their own post!  Moreover, they're far more entertaining and illuminating that anything I could come up with.  Carry on, chaps.  You're doing absolutely sterling work.

35 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I know, right?  It's a complete mystery.  One does indeed wonder how some men could come up with such terms.  Perhaps you have some more examples you could share with the group?

Truth is I believe women and men are no more or less virtuous than each other, though I once did subscribe to the theory, that:

"Men control the World, and women control the Men!"

Peace!

Funny how my assumption that you are a woman, changed my attitude to be more respectful towards your posts.

Can't be mysogeny, but I don't want it to sound patronizing either. I'm stuck in no man's land!  :)

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

I have no complaints about my relationships with women. Wouldn't/couldn't live without them.

Misogynistic 70s comedians mostly.

I am all for the highlighting of unconscious bias against men in domestic abuse cases and very often rape cases.   I am certainly a champion supporter for protection of both parties with complete unequivocal anonymization of both the named accused and accuser until such time as a judge has passed verdict.

However let's not turn this into some "men are reclaiming their ground" debate.  It is pretty obvious from a quick look back in history that women were certainly the wider oppressed ones for a long time in both their domestic and and restricted working lives.

That is not the topic here.

Edited by ECCOnoob