Bbc : Biased Broadcasting Corporation

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

You believe that their gullible great unwashed audience rush to the internet every time they are presented with news, analysis, opinion, discussions and news of political issues of the day on BBC to check the validity of their presentations?

Do you think it is acceptable for foreigners living in a foreign country to refer to another nationality in another country as a "...gullible great unwashed audience..."?

It’s about as bright as the suggestion that there was some golden era where no media had an agenda,usually political within their content.

That said BBC services have provided as good a service as any organisation for many years.

No one has been able to offer a better source of news so far.

39 minutes ago, RJRB said:

It’s about as bright as the suggestion that there was some golden era where no media had an agenda,usually political within their content.

That said BBC services have provided as good a service as any organisation for many years.

No one has been able to offer a better source of news so far.

My bold 

🤣

I'm off to bed now but I have to say that did tickle me 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Do you think it is acceptable for foreigners living in a foreign country to refer to another nationality in another country as a "...gullible great unwashed audience..."?

Of course I do,

But then I'm in favor of free speech!

Even for those so called "foreigners!" who happen to be born and bred in Sheffield!  :)

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Of course I do,

But then I'm in favor of free speech!

Even for those so called "foreigners!" who happen to be born and bred in Sheffield!  :)

Dismissing a significant proportion of the population of this country who read, listen to and watch the BBC  as a "...gullible great unwashed audience..." is insulting. How a foreigner living in a foreign country thousands of miles away, who could not watch or listen to the BBC home channels for decades justifies those remarks would be interesting.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Dismissing a significant proportion of the population of this country who read, listen to and watch the BBC  as a "...gullible great unwashed audience..." is insulting.

I'm sure it'll come as absolutely no surprise that the poster who's literally spent the last two years whining all over the forum about someone else doing the same... loves it when it suits. :thumbsup: :hihi:

How a foreigner living in a foreign country thousands of miles away, who could not watch or listen to the BBC home channels for decades justifies those remarks would be interesting.

A Trump fanboy lecturing anyone about "gullibility"? :loopy:

Should be good! :hihi:

Edited by Magilla
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Tyke02 said:
18 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Breakdown in communication here, I am saying that. He - Tim Harford - was implying it was not that significant.

Pardon me, could you please answer this question ? :

Tell me Tykes, [if the Beeb were not biased in their reporting about Covid] why was  story about a footballer with Long Covid worthy of being on the front page of BBC News ? [whilst Pritchard's poor use of Covid statistics was not even on the BBC site at all]

No breakdown there.  You are saying he was implying that it was not that significant. I happened to hear that programme too and did not draw that conclusion; I think you are reading too much into it because you are desperately seeking anything that could be said to show bias.  In fact I think I have that podcast on my phone so I might give it another listen.

I found the Tim Harford programme is still online here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bk8lmz

I've summarised the key points of the conversation below:

The piece starts around three minutes in on the link above and is a conversation with Emma Monk (he also credits a named actuary and a named health economist with contributions).  First they establish that the 17,000 number comes from death certificate data and it's the number of people who had only covid on their death certificate.

03:15 he mentions a relative (so it's not always an uncle) who got diabetes in 1992, and still runs 5ks (not marathons) in his late seventies.  He asks Monk whether, if he died having got covid, the cause of death would be diabetes.  Monk answers that that would make no sense, then illustrates examples where some the comorbidities could actually have been as a result of covid infection.

- no long pause, leaving it hanging, with the implication you suggested, but a clear question and answer -

05:12 Harford asks about people with covid who actually died because of their comorbidities. Monk refers him to death certificate date through the pandemic up to then that shows 80-90% had covid as the underlying cause.

- so no claim that it was all of them, but an evidence based comment about what proportion it was -

Monk goes on to comment that if people have their doubts about death certificate data, this is also supported by counting excess deaths.

- it seems I was right to question the accuracy of your remembered scraps of stuff off the radio-

Edited by Tyke02
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Dismissing a significant proportion of the population of this country who read, listen to and watch the BBC  as a "...gullible great unwashed audience..." is insulting. How a foreigner living in a foreign country thousands of miles away, who could not watch or listen to the BBC home channels for decades justifies those remarks would be interesting.

Some people seriously need to get a life!  :)

The (great) unwashed Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

"old-fashioned + humorous. : ordinary or common people who do not have a lot of money, power, or social status. "I'm just a member of the great unwashed".

25 minutes ago, trastrick said:

"old-fashioned + humorous. : ordinary or common people who do not have a lot of money, power, or social status. "I'm just a member of the great unwashed".

Possibly, when said in the first person... otherwise clearly a pejorative. :?

I look forward to your totally unbelievable and completely ludicrous explanation of how you used "gullible" as a term of endearment! :thumbsup: :loopy:

Edited by Magilla