Would A Million Pound Gor Far?

41 minutes ago, bassett one said:

READING with intrest a write up,that states you could not retire and it wont go far in todays society,what would you do with this amount? would it last long? could you make yourself loads if it was won by you?

It would keep you in burgers for a lifetime Mr. B.

23 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

It allows you to live modestly for the rest of you life without working if won/acquired when you're young. It's about equal to 40 years of the average wage. If won near retirement, then you can live it up some more.

Got there ahead of me. I was just about to say the same thing. It very much depends on how overambitious one wants to be.

You could literally put 1 million in a basic bank account, do absolutely nothing and withdraw out a more than average £20,000 a year for 50 years.

For those later in life that annual 'tax free salary' amount increases all the time. Plus given the fact most people will be smart enough to put such high amount of money into an account or investment that works far better, I would agree that most would live very comfortably even more so if someone chooses to carry on working full or part-time. They could use it to set their entire lives up for them. All the "big purchases" that we all have to endure in life could be taken care of with whatever surplus salary ready to be enjoyed on the treats, spoils and luxuries.

On the flip side, it people are stupid enough to blow it all on uber luxury holidays, flashy cars and properties without keeping some behind for a rainy day or retaining some sort of other continual income....that's their choice.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

not many,and i could have good uns top half pounders at a good funfair food van,with nice onions red sauce and even some fries,dont like that donald stuff you  see,until then its a quarter pounder at hillsbrough when i can get, i could also buy some more bricks with my name on as well

13 hours ago, bassett one said:

READING with intrest a write up,that states you could not retire and it wont go far in todays society,what would you do with this amount? would it last long? could you make yourself loads if it was won by you?

I knew someone who won 22k short of a million.

They paid off their parents mortgage, bought their own home and another to rent out. 2 new cars (modest not flash) and had a couple of holidays. Within 15 months it was gone, although they had assets to show for it. 

Sad thing is that £1 million today is worth a lot less than a million say 30 years ago.