Let's Get Rid Of All Religions! good idea?

12 hours ago, Dromedary said:

There lies a problem..... which God is that?

But it is OK for people to kill in the name of religion or subject someone who is not a believer in said religion to torture or death because their religion dictates it should be so.

It's never OK. Those people are just useing religion as an excuse they would be torturing and killing anyway.

13 hours ago, Baz1 said:

It's when corrupt and power hungry leaders take control that trouble flares up.

I think humans in general would like to live in peace, but it's never happened and probably won't.

Our leaders tend to be religious because it wins votes.

None of them stick to the ten commandments, I find religious people to be two faced liars, not all, but most.

16 hours ago, Dromedary said:

But it is OK for people to kill in the name of religion or subject someone who is not a believer in said religion to torture or death because their religion dictates it should be so.

No, it's not OK.

Civilized democracies tend to keep the religious sects, and their various interpretations of their imaginary 'gods', from making the law of the land.

17 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Our leaders tend to be religious because it wins votes.

None of them stick to the ten commandments, I find religious people to be two faced liars, not all, but most.

I agree with that- every human is fallible regardless of religious stance- however there are sincere, committed and God fearing persons/ leaders.

I think temptation is always present and some leaders or even religious figures, lose track, fall off their 'path'.

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

No, it's not OK.

I agree but it seems to be is what I was really getting at.

Civilized democracies tend to keep the religious sects, and their various interpretations of their imaginary 'gods', from making the law of the land.

Not always. Here in the House of Lords we have 26 Bishops representing The Church of England that sit on the Government side and participate in making or amending our laws and they are there by right and not elected. One of them also reads prayers out each legislative day.

The USA is another case in point.

Edited by Dromedary

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

I agree but it seems to be is what I was really getting at.

Not always. Here in the House of Lords we have 26 Bishops representing The Church of England that sit on the Government side and participate in making or amending our laws and they are there by right and not elected. One of them also reads prayers out each legislative day.

The USA is another case in point.

Having unelected members of government making and shaping laws seems archaic, in these times.

The U.S. opens its sessions with an innocuous prayer, but that's about it!

21 hours ago, Dromedary said:

As I said, or higher power. I believe God is the same entity in every religion, the interpretation is different that's all, and as that interpretation is in the hands of human beings, usually men  of religion, that's hardly surprising is it? 

Surely to claim infallibility is arrogant in the extreme. 

It is never OK to kill or torture people in the name of religion or anything else. Nor is it right to deny people their faith IMO if it's what they want. If you accept that you are all probably worshipping the same higher power by different names and it makes you happy and a better person I don't see what the problem is. 

Most religions have made an effort to respect differences and come together in peace.

It's the fanatics that cause the trouble, and again that's usually more political and cultural than religious.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Anna B said:

As I said, or higher power. I believe God is the same entity in every religion

I find it interesting how people conceive of God.

If you consider God to be a being, does this being exist within some context; such that there is something that is God, and something that is not God, within which God the being, exists? Similar to how I am a human being, who exists within the context of the universe, specifically located on planet Earth; there is me, and there is not me (though of course, ultimately, we are all manifestations of the universe doing its thing).

Or does God represent the totality of reality, the universe, or all universes, laws of physics, everything manifest and all non physical realms of existence; so, essentially, God being synonymous with 'everything'?

Do people who believe in God, ask themselves such things?

I think I used to believe in God (or at least entertained the notion), but I feel there was an element of wishful (people believe whatever they want to be true, as it gives them some comfort) and fuzzy thinking. The more light I shone on the topic, the more I examined it, the bubble kind of burst for me. I would think, Ignostic, perhaps best describes my theological position now. God is a meaningless fuzzy term; it doesn't really hold any value or usefulness for me. I doesn't point at anything meaningful or concrete that the human mind can make any sense of.

Not employing the word God, however, does not at all negate or detract from the nature of reality; whatever form it may take. What is, the nature of reality, simply is; it is, in my experience, unfathomably mysterious, but it doesn't require me to call it anything, or stick some label on it.

Edited by Waldo

14 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I find it interesting how people conceive of God.

If you consider God to be a being, does this being exist within some context; such that there is something that is God, and something that is not God, within which God the being, exists? Similar to how I am a human being, who exists within the context of the universe, specifically located on planet Earth; there is me, and there is not me (though of course, ultimately, we are all manifestations of the universe doing its thing).

Or does God represent the totality of reality, the universe, or all universes, laws of physics, everything manifest and all non physical realms of existence; so, essentially, God being synonymous with 'everything'?

Do people who believe in God, ask themselves such things?

I think I used to believe in God (or at least entertained the notion), but I feel there was an element of wishful (people believe whatever they want to be true, as it gives them some comfort) and fuzzy thinking. The more light I shone on the topic, the more I examined it, the bubble kind of burst for me. I would think, Ignostic, perhaps best describes my theological position now. God is a meaningless fuzzy term; it doesn't really hold any value or usefulness for me. I doesn't point at anything meaningful or concrete that the human mind can make any sense of.

Not employing the word God, however, does not at all negate or detract from the nature of reality; whatever form it may take. What is, the nature of reality, simply is; it is, in my experience, unfathomably mysterious, but it doesn't require me to call it anything, or stick some label on it.

In my experience and understanding, people lose the true concept of God.

Thousands and thousands of years, civilization has always believed in a greater power- but this gets skewed and some end up creating their own conception of this 'God'.

Some will say there are numerous gods, some will call Jesus or some other figure, a part of God or god, some will believe in the trinity etc

In its pure essence  God has to be removed from all this- because anything else then renders Him human like or adds more complexity to trying to discover God.

That's how I find it and once you sincerely look for answers and truly seek to know- you'll find your calling.

• Thanks 1