Let's Get Rid Of All Religions! good idea?

10 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

The notion that the phenomena of life are somehow inconsistent with the second law of thermodynamics was dispelled by Schroedinger back in 1944.  Entropy can decrease locally so long it increases somewhere else - it's the entropy of the universe as a whole that never decreases.

[In fact, to be more precise, you apparently have to talk about free energy rather than entropy, but I get the drift.  There may or may not be holes in the current state of knowledge, but this isn't one of them.]

Hmmm... :huh:

Wasn't he that bloke who didn't know if he had a cat or not? :roll:

1 hour ago, CaptainSwing said:

The notion that the phenomena of life are somehow inconsistent with the second law of thermodynamics was dispelled by Schroedinger back in 1944.  Entropy can decrease locally so long it increases somewhere else - it's the entropy of the universe as a whole that never decreases.

[In fact, to be more precise, you apparently have to talk about free energy rather than entropy, but I get the drift.  There may or may not be holes in the current state of knowledge, but this isn't one of them.]

God , my brain hurts 

7 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

Entropy is just a way of putting a number to the amount of disorder in a system, and it tends always to increase.  It's easier to break a glass than it is to put it back together again, and it will never spontaneously put itself back together.  The glass has less entropy than the broken glass.

But things like slugs and snails and humans are very highly ordered, which makes it hard for some people to accept that they have arisen spontaneously.  Nevertheless there is a colossal amount of mutually supportive evidence that this is what has happened.

The answer to the conundrum is that it's only for the whole universe (or, practically, any system that is big enough) that the rule of ever-increasing entropy applies.  Ordered systems like slugs and snails can arise, but only at the cost of a greater amount of disorder somewhere else.

As I say, this is not just a made-up story, it's backed up by a lot of theory and evidence, from all sorts of sciences (and science is just an extension of how we deal with the everyday world).  It's always possible that some new finding will overturn this, but this is how things are, to the best of our current knowledge.

Stop messing about 

7 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Entropy is just a way of putting a number to the amount of disorder in a system, and it tends always to increase.  It's easier to break a glass than it is to put it back together again, and it will never spontaneously put itself back together.  The glass has less entropy than the broken glass.

But things like slugs and snails and humans are very highly ordered, which makes it hard for some people to accept that they have arisen spontaneously.  Nevertheless there is a colossal amount of mutually supportive evidence that this is what has happened.

The answer to the conundrum is that it's only for the whole universe (or, practically, any system that is big enough) that the rule of ever-increasing entropy applies.  Ordered systems like slugs and snails can arise, but only at the cost of a greater amount of disorder somewhere else.

As I say, this is not just a made-up story, it's backed up by a lot of theory and evidence, from all sorts of sciences (and science is just an extension of how we deal with the everyday world).  It's always possible that some new finding will overturn this, but this is how things are, to the best of our current knowledge.

I hail the rise of the Slug 

See the source image

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

We should all keep in in mind the "evidence" you keep citing is just theory, today's scientific consensus of the Standard Model, in which "properties", and "posits", and "forces" are arbitrarily applied to phenomena we observe, and actually utlize in our technology at micro scales.

At macro scales, Big Bangs, Inflation, accelerating expansion, dark matter and dark energy are  necessary posits to make it all work, and understandable to we Great Apes.

We should keep this in mind when we say science has all the answers. It has more questions than answers.

Popular religion has its own set of posits and forces and consensus, but like science, can never answer the Big Questions.

The idea of a Big Bang, whereby everything comes from nothing, is as miraculous as anything in Grand Designer religions.

The idea that will life spring forth wherever conditions are favorable, is an article of faith.

Conditions on Earth are most favorable to life, but science has never been able to create it in a laboratory.

I'm, not religious, but I'm also not a fan of Hitchen's and Dawking's, dry, meaningless, accidental universe.

Best to keep an open mind. :)

Edited by trastrick

One thing I'm struggling with, perhaps someone can enlighten me; relates to the idea of something from nothing, how the universe was created from nothing etc...

To my mind, nothing means nothing; as in, nothing physical, no matter, no anti-matter, no energy, certainly no time, or anything akin to laws of physics, or laws by which something may pop in to existence out of nothing.

How then does science explain something from nothing? Or do the scientific community really mean 'something from, nothing tangible, but not quite actually nothing'?