National Dashcam Saftey Portal

44 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Dangerous driving mate. Some bloke almost hit a pedestrian and my car then just sped off.

In which case getting him (because it almost certainly is a bloke) prosecuted is a very socially positive thing to do, you could save someone's life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Has anyone any experience of using this?

I'd like to submit footage of an incident and this seems the way to go but I'd like to know if it's worth it. By that I mean has anyone ever submitted footage?

Does it go to the relevant place?

Does anyone contact you to verify anything?

Is it a waste of time?

Thanks in advance 

There should be a national portal, it should be made as easy as possible to report. I have posted about this subject before, if cars with dashcams sent in footage of dangerous driving and the police always acted on it (even if it is just to send the driver a note saying his driving has been reported and is on record) it would be a major contribution to road safety (and reducing road rage as well I might add).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, West 77 said:

I was a little curious what had motivated the original poster to want to submit dash cam footage.  

My insurance is valid.

Might be worth checking what would happen if you put in a claim and couldnt produce dashcam footage when they had sent you a dashcam for that purpose. I dont think telling them you couldnt be arsed to fit it would go down well :)

In my experience insurance companies dont spend money for no reason if they can avoid it  Look out for the small print :)

1 hour ago, alchemist said:

Might be worth checking what would happen if you put in a claim and couldnt produce dashcam footage when they had sent you a dashcam for that purpose. I dont think telling them you couldnt be arsed to fit it would go down well :)

In my experience insurance companies dont spend money for no reason if they can avoid it  Look out for the small print :)

Nah it won't be that bad.

If they insist a dashcam be installed they'd arrange installation.  You can't expect Joe (or Josephine) public to know how to install one of these things properly.

So you can't demand footage from just posting a camera to someone.

4 hours ago, West 77 said:

Sounds like you have a good reason to report the motorist.  It will be interesting to hear what happens if you submit the dash cam footage.

Well, I submitted it and received an incident number. I'll let you know if I hear anything else 👍

9 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

If you watch Cycling Mikey on YouTube he gets lots of drivers on the phone etc prosecuted but I don’t know where he sends them to.

Cheers Wallace I'll have a look 👍

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

In which case getting him (because it almost certainly is a bloke) prosecuted is a very socially positive thing to do, you could save someone's life.

Yep it was a bloke lol.

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

There should be a national portal, it should be made as easy as possible to report. I have posted about this subject before, if cars with dashcams sent in footage of dangerous driving and the police always acted on it (even if it is just to send the driver a note saying his driving has been reported and is on record) it would be a major contribution to road safety (and reducing road rage as well I might add).

The portal I used was the national one which is either run or co-run by Nextbase. I couldn't easily find the SYP one but when I used the national one the links for all the forces who participate were all very easy to find and use.

This is the link I used .

https://nextbase.co.uk/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/

• Thanks 1

On 20/04/2022 at 15:11, Chekhov said:

A welcome sentiment from a guy who exhibits his rage on a variety of subjects on the forum.

In fact he said that he nearly crashed his car whilst being outraged by something or other.I forget what but something said on the radio I think.

Edited by RJRB

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

A welcome sentiment from a guy who exhibits his rage on a variety of subjects on the forum.

In fact he said that he nearly crashed his car whilst being outraged by something or other.I forget what but something said on the radio I think.

Thanks you for your useful post which very much adds to the debate.