Old Pwd

I worked at PWD 1970-74. As I remember the HQ was at Olive Grove Road. I worked in a team spraying Aerocem (or something like that) on the houses. I used to along with another chap (Barnie Grubb and a couple more men ) scaffolding and cleaning around the windows after the walls had been sprayed. If you worked within a distance from Olive Grove you didn't get travelling expenses. But over that limit you did. For a few months I was with a gang working round the manor. I lived in Hillsboro. at the time. So I didn't get any expenses.

3 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Everybody,

Didn't the PWD have a department in the Prince of Wales Road/Pipworth School area during the 1960's?

I've a memory of seeing lorries in that area when I used to visit my Grandmother in Darnell.

Wazzie Worrall

I think that may have been a City Engineers depot, if the lorries were maroon coloured, PWD had grey ones.

On 24/04/2022 at 12:03, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Everybody,

Didn't the PWD have a department in the Prince of Wales Road/Pipworth School area during the 1960's?

I've a memory of seeing lorries in that area when I used to visit my Grandmother in Darnell.

Wazzie Worrall

I remember the same depot but with horse and carts that were the norm for the street cleaners. This was in the late forties / early fifties.

Edited by lazarus