Hairdressers

5 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

And staff costs and utility bills and business rates and other miscellaneous costs.

Most small businesses are exempt from business rates, an electric shaver doesn't use much electric.

26 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Most small businesses are exempt from business rates, an electric shaver doesn't use much electric.

What about things like heat and light and water and property rental and insurance costs.  What about replacement scissors, blades, combs, sterilising fluid, hair styling products, cleaning products.   

This is not just some bloke with a plastic chair and a cheap Poundland buzz cutter.  

Even the smallest simplest business operation has far more overheads than people think.

12 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

What about things like heat and light and water and property rental and insurance costs.  What about replacement scissors, blades, combs, sterilising fluid, hair styling products, cleaning products.   

This is not just some bloke with a plastic chair and a cheap Poundland buzz cutter.  

Even the smallest simplest business operation has far more overheads than people think.

All the above can be a claimed business expense against tax.  It’s a lucrative business for most of the ones who know what they’re doing. I would still make the point that £7 for a 4 minute buzz cut is more than enough! 

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

Nonsense.

You can only claim business expenses against tax if you're making a profit.  It takes much more than 4 minutes for an average hair cut.   Your £7 for a 4 minute buzz cut would  be lucrative if a  barber was doing 15 cuts every hour  they were open for business.  In the real business World that doesn't happen.

Well I suppose it’s quite subjective isn’t it? Does the business show or declare a profit? Do your customers have large or average sized heads? I wouldn’t get my clippers in a twist over it 😂

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

How many small businesses do think work from a premises located on a high street with a rateable value of less than £15,000?

I haven't a clue, how many? I understand that they would still pay some rates, unless it is considerably lower.

Since we are discussing barbers and hairdressers, how many of those pay full rates? If it's a chain of shops, they pay.

This is a Tory policy to help small businesses, I am assuming it does that.

31 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's excellent news that Mrs Tipstaff's hair looks great now. 

I will add that any barber charging £7 for a hair cut would be better off financially if they ceased trading and got a job at Tesco stacking shelves. Also anyone who thinks charging  £7 for a hair cut is a lucrative business should pack in whatever job they are doing assuming anyone employs them and go and join the circus to become a professional clown.

Mrs Tipstaffs quiffing was the standard £60 which, given the chemicals used and the time cutting and tittivating took about an hour and 40 minutes with a very desirable result 👍😁 

I wonder how many £7 buzz cuts one could do in an hour and 40 minutes? 🙄🤔

2 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

Mrs Tipstaffs quiffing was the standard £60 which, given the chemicals used and the time cutting and tittivating took about an hour and 40 minutes with a very desirable result 👍😁 

Depends on the number of customers. If you don't have any, then none, and you're making a loss. 

Not exactly earning a fortune on your missus' hair either. 36 quid an hour before costs.

Edited by Bargepole23

8 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

... don't forget that the hairdresser would have also been attending to one or two other clients at the same time.

My "buzz-cutter" seems to do OK out of his solo business. (I have a £10 monthly trim)

Works 4-day weeks, drives a nice car and manages at least two USA holidays every year.

Edited by cgksheff