Car Parts Through Uk/Spanish Customs.

19 minutes ago, L00b said:

To posters advising the OP’s friend to just put the part in luggage in the plane hold, and walk through the green channel when returning to the UK: then the OP’s friend gets taken aside by a customs officer in a very friendly way, and gets asked to open the case…then what?

Well in the very unlikely case that happens, and assume its not a forbidden item,  and assuming its actually spotted and queried, you pay the relevant duty on it. Its not even a £50 item, why are people trying to overcomplicate this?

Your example of someone trying to bring a pet through Customs isnt exactly the same now is it.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, carosio said:

L100b-    I'm looking up the code on the customs website. Problem being as it's a LHD steering rack, the parts have not been sourced (so far) in UK. Her MOT station says they can be made here but at an exhorbitant cost. The part no. has not yet been identified. As she will be travelling to her house in Spain it would make sense to identify and obtain part there (VIN plus original Spanish plates etc), assuming there's a local parts supplier.

Bargepole- foot long steel rods could be used as weapons, they would imagine!

So could any number of things in hold baggage. But they are in hold baggage, and so are inaccessible during the flight, so no problem.

58 minutes ago, L00b said:

Yes, ID the product and source it Continent-side, then look up its customs code in HMRC database. Should be relatively straightforward, if the product has ever been imported into the UK at least once before.

To posters advising the OP’s friend to just put the part in luggage in the plane hold, and walk through the green channel when returning to the UK: then the OP’s friend gets taken aside by a customs officer in a very friendly way, and gets asked to open the case…then what?

Fail to prepare = prepare to fail.

When we returned to the Continent last Sunday (Easter), there was a British (or part- British) couple living on the Contient and returning ‘home’, denied a Eurotunnel boarding card there and then, because their pet had a British passport and they did not bother to get a vet health cert for going back (new requirement post-Brexit). When we spoke with the Eurotunnel pets bod, he told us they were the 4th or 5th that day. With Bank Holiday Monday the day after (what chances of vets being opened), I’ll let you imagine the unexpected hotel/accommodation bill.

Small example of how things can quickly go wrong, sometimes in a big way and from unexpected angles, when you don’t plan ahead for customs/rules.

I agree that the part should be put in the hold (valid flight security concern by carosio in last post). 

I've travelled the world as an engineer, with suitcases full of tools and parts required on whatever site I'm travelling to. All in hold baggage, all inaccessible, cases have been opened at UK end and overseas end. Nobody cares about tools and parts. As far as I'm aware there is no restriction or duty payable on moving your personal possessions around. I don't pay duty on my kindle when I fly.

54 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

So could any number of things in hold baggage. But they are in hold baggage, and so are inaccessible during the flight, so no problem.

I've travelled the world as an engineer, with suitcases full of tools and parts required on whatever site I'm travelling to. All in hold baggage, all inaccessible, cases have been opened at UK end and overseas end. Nobody cares about tools and parts. As far as I'm aware there is no restriction or duty payable on moving your personal possessions around. I don't pay duty on my kindle when I fly.

I don’t make the rules.

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use/arriving-in-Great-Britain

After that, fill your boots with either doing things by the book (or at least getting prepared to do so) or rolling the dice and winging it.

Makes no difference to me, I’m only trying to help the OP.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:Well in the very unlikely case that happens, and assume its not a forbidden item,  and assuming its actually spotted and queried, you pay the relevant duty on it. Its not even a £50 item, why are people trying to overcomplicate this?

I don’t know where you’re seeing an overcomplication, your advice above is no different to mine, in answer to the OP.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Your example of someone trying to bring a pet through Customs isnt exactly the same now is it.

Of course it’s not exactly the same, since it’s about pets, not car parts.

It illustrates the consequences of winging it and failing just the same, however.

Did you not understand the following sentence in my post, which you did not quote?

Small example of how things can quickly go wrong, sometimes in a big way and from unexpected angles, when you don’t plan ahead for customs/rules.

28 minutes ago, L00b said:

I don’t make the rules.

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use/arriving-in-Great-Britain

After that, fill your boots with either doing things by the book (or at least getting prepared to do so) or rolling the dice and winging it.

"

You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 (or up to £270 if you arrive by private plane or boat).

If you go over your allowance you pay tax and duty on the total value of the goods, not just the value above the allowance."

The item being debated isnt even worth £50. Last time I looked £50 was less than £390.

So as I said, why are people trying to over complicate this? Its well below the "other goods" allowance.

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

"

You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 (or up to £270 if you arrive by private plane or boat).

If you go over your allowance you pay tax and duty on the total value of the goods, not just the value above the allowance."

The item being debated isnt even worth £50. Last time I looked £50 was less than £390.

So as I said, why are people trying to over complicate this? Its well below the "other goods" allowance.

If it’s worth less than £390 in the UK, you’re right.

If it’s worth more than £390 in the UK, you’re not.

That’s what customs duty is all about: levelling the cost of (cheaper) imports with (more expensive) domestic goods.

I don’t know what the OP’s part is worth in the UK. His first post suggested ‘lots’.

I’m glad that you do, though. 

Maybe you could, like, usefully point the OP to where his friend can get that part in the UK for £50? 🙃

Edited by L00b

Well in that case maybe the OP can come back and tell us if his item is 8 times more expensive here. In any case it sounds like its a bespoke part, hardly something a minion at Manchester Airport is easily going to be able to look up.

Edited by HeHasRisen

The part for a RHD Focus can be had on ebay for £16/pr. Unfortunately the LHD are of slightly different length (according to her garage). If I had the part in my hand it might be possible to compare with others, Ford do use identical parts across different models.

What the cost will be in Spain, no idea but can't see it being a lot.

2 hours ago, carosio said:

The part for a RHD Focus can be had on ebay for £16/pr. Unfortunately the LHD are of slightly different length (according to her garage). If I had the part in my hand it might be possible to compare with others, Ford do use identical parts across different models.

What the cost will be in Spain, no idea but can't see it being a lot.

Car ferry over Channel, have car fitted with new part, don't tell the airlines 👍