May 2022 Elections

These are the local elections, but many will vote on national lines.

Have you had a leaflet, do you expect a leaflet now that many things are online.

Turnout in the local elections is around 30%, does that matter?

I just watched a St George parade video from the Tories, they always criticise local councils. But do people know what their councils are responsible for and how they are funded?

I will vote tactically, as I have done for 30+ years.

I haven't had any leaflets, apart from the Mayoral one - which went straight into the correct receptacle, as will others.

The low turnout is due to the fact that whatever they say they will do, they are not really believable.

I know what councils are responsible for, how they are funded, and how they can occasionally badly waste that funding.

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

Have you had a leaflet, do you expect a leaflet now that many things are online.

Yep, quite a few people posting "Get The Tories Out next month" on some local FB groups I frequent.  My area is solid Red Labour councillors......

I got a Labour leaflet and it was all about national matters, nothing about what they'd do locally.  

14 hours ago, El Cid said:

Turnout in the local elections is around 30%, does that matter?

I just watched a St George parade video from the Tories, they always criticise local councils. But do people know what their councils are responsible for and how they are funded?

Good points.

IMO All this should be taught in schools in civics, current affairs or politics classes, but of course it wil  probably cause all sorts of arguments with parents about political bias etc. Nevertheless, until people understand it they will be less inclined to vote. 

I actually think that obfuscation is intentional. The less we know the less likely we are to interfere in what is a hefty, inefficient and very expensive system of governance which needs a thorough overhaul, and has done for a long time. Of course that's not going to happen while those that control it have it nicely in their favour. 

I also happen to think that voting in general elections should be compulsory (as in places like Australia,) but alongside that there should be an option to tick a 'none of the above' box to show disaffection with the whole process. 

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Yep, quite a few people posting "Get The Tories Out next month" on some local FB groups I frequent.  My area is solid Red Labour councillors......

I got a Labour leaflet and it was all about national matters, nothing about what they'd do locally.  

The Green Party leaflet I received this week was completely focused on local issues.

2 hours ago, Dromedary said:

It's interesting to note the difference between Barnsley and Sheffield council on how they share out their funds.

How do they compare with Leeds?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-61246099?at_medium=custom7&at_custom3=Regional+BBC+Yorkshire+&at_custom4=CB007466-C64F-11EC-9F86-0721933C408C&at_campaign=64&at_custom1=link&at_custom2=facebook_page