Chancellor Breaks Pledge On Energy Bills-Bbc News

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Duff councils , so blame Sunak  . Petty way to point score , Janus

The issue really is that Sunak has dropped this on all the local authorities with not much notice, when they dont usually have mechanisms to do this sort of thing.

Its why he delayed the National Insurance allowance change until July to allow all payroll software companies to make the change, sadly he didnt give the councils the same courtesy.

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The issue really is that Sunak has dropped this on all the local authorities with not much notice, when they dont usually have mechanisms to do this sort of thing.

Its why he delayed the National Insurance allowance change until July to allow all payroll software companies to make the change, sadly he didnt give the councils the same courtesy.

No , the issue is Sunak is a Tory. 

Nothing appears to happen when it’s supposed to these days, we’ve got loads of senior Manpower Services managers living close to us, many are ‘working from home’, I can see them working, up ladders, under cars, in gardens etc, perhaps this has a bearing on some delays.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crookesey said:

No, the BBC is the messenger, your the misinterpreter of it.

Looking at the  BBC link I cannot see anything  that has been changed by the OP. It has been copied verbatim. So I have to say you are incorrect.

Edited by mart

8 hours ago, Janus said:

The Chancellor's pledge that councils in England would make a £150 payment towards domestic energy bills "in April" has been broken in some areas.

While some have paid, Radio 4's Money Box has found many have not and the guidance has changed to "from April".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61270840

It's all BS anyway, since when can (or should) the Government protect the public from market forces ? Ensuring benefits (to those who genuinely deserve them) are increased to cover the increased price is a different issue of course.

It's also hypocritical for them to subsidise energy anyway as this government, in fact pretty much all politicians these days, keep banging on about "climate change and we all have to use less energy". Well there's only one way to do that : increase the price. So everybody, particularly those in favour of this zero carbon strategy (and I am not sure I am), had better stop moaning and just get used to it.

Edited by Chekhov

14 hours ago, melthebell said:

Semantics, in, from

Surely you realise by now, that what this government says, and what it does, are two unrelated entities.

I've lost count of the number of promises it's made but not kept.

It thinks we have very short memories and to a large extent it's right.

There's such a great fanfare of achievement when a new policy is announced, .and in due course, very little information about it being quietly put on the back burner, or shelved altogether........

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

Surely you realise by now, that what this government says, and what it does, are two unrelated entities.

I've lost count of the number of promises it's made but not kept.

It thinks we have very short memories and to a large extent it's right.

There's such a great fanfare of achievement when a new policy is announced, .and in due course, very little information about it being quietly put on the back burner, or shelved altogether........

It's nothing to do with the government, it's councils that dish out the money. Patience is a virtue. Do you understand the logistics of processing millions of cheques?

3 hours ago, melthebell said:

It's nothing to do with the government, it's councils that dish out the money. Patience is a virtue. Do you understand the logistics of processing millions of cheques?

The councils have to manage the money, and a lot of legal obligations to fullfill, but the government grants them much of the money in the first place. And with the many cuts, in real terms that gets less and less each year. Not only that but the per capita funding for big infrastructure projects is far far lower in the North than in the south east.

So much for 'levelling up....