Are You Skint .

13 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Nobody is ripping off anyone, the current economic downturn (which will get much worse) is unavoidable. It was always going to happen after shutting down much of the economy for months on end then reducing its productivity for nearly two years.

Inflation has been caused mainly by giving out Billions of pounds to people (mainly in furlough payments) to enable them to do nothing. Inflation always going to go up and it was going through the roof before Russia invaded.  

Don;t get me wrong, Ukraine has made it even worse, but I can assure you we would not be where we are if it were only the Ukraine war, whereas we would still be heading for a recession even had Putin stayed sane. 

Your assurances have been noted and filed in B,1,N 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Nobody is ripping off anyone, the current economic downturn (which will get much worse) is unavoidable. It was always going to happen after shutting down much of the economy for months on end then reducing its productivity for nearly two years.

Inflation has been caused mainly by giving out Billions of pounds to people (mainly in furlough payments) to enable them to do nothing. Inflation always going to go up and it was going through the roof before Russia invaded.  

Don;t get me wrong, Ukraine has made it even worse, but I can assure you we would not be where we are if it were only the Ukraine war, whereas we would still be heading for a recession even had Putin stayed sane. 

Indeed, but you forgot to mention the 12 years of Tory Austerity before covid and Ukraine. 

The Tories will find any excuse to cut, cut, cut. It's what they do, a deliberate part of their ethos. They call it 'rolling back the state,'   I call it removing the safety net.  

Nobody knows when they might need that help, and nobody, nobody should take their lovely lives for granted. It can all change in a second. We need things in place, 'just in case.'

We can see the perfect example of that with the way the Tories ran down the stocks of PPE to dangerously low levels, in spite of timely warnings from the World Health Organisation to have them to hand. Advice they chose to willfully ignore. They then spent 10 times as much as was necessary panic buying and giving out generous ad hoc contracts to friends.

Failing to fix the roof while the sun shines, like most Tory cuts, is a  very bad case of false economy.

We are about to see many, many more illustrations of that with the coming storm.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Indeed, but you forgot to mention the 12 years of Tory Austerity before covid and Ukraine. 

The Tories will find any excuse to cut, cut, cut. It's what they do, a deliberate part of their ethos. They call it 'rolling back the state,'   I call it removing the safety net.  

Nobody knows when they might need that help, and nobody, nobody should take their lovely lives for granted. It can all change in a second. We need things in place, 'just in case.'

We can see the perfect example of that with the way the Tories ran down the stocks of PPE to dangerously low levels, in spite of timely warnings from the World Health Organisation to have them to hand. Advice they chose to willfully ignore. They then spent 10 times as much as was necessary panic buying and giving out generous ad hoc contracts to friends.

Failing to fix the roof while the sun shines, like most Tory cuts, is a  very bad case of false economy.

We are about to see many, many more illustrations of that with the coming storm.

Yes , don’t forget the Tory Austerity ;)

15 hours ago, Anna B said:

Some see spiraling, unsustainable National Debt, as "dangerous" to "the safety net".

Others don't. They won't be around when their bills become due.

But one day the piper will have to be paid.

And it won't be pretty!

37 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Some see spiraling, unsustainable National Debt, as "dangerous" to "the safety net".

Others don't. They won't be around when their bills become due.

But one day the piper will have to be paid.

And it won't be pretty!

We managed to put the welfare state in place when the country was at its most broke after WW2, and it was the making of this country and both lifted a lot of people out of poverty and gave them opportunities they'd never had, like 'free' health care and higher education. It was a truly egalitarian period in our history and benefitted everyone. 

It's all about what is prioritised. The government spends money on what it deems important.

Personally I prefer to see my taxes spent for the benefit of the people than spent on wars and weapons. 

• Thanks 1

nobody in this day and age are genuinely skint, they just seem to forget priorities and then moan to the world that they are hard done to, far worse in the really genuinely poor countries.

cant afford the leccy or gas put a jumper on social services wont allow anyone to freeze knowingly.

its all political spin.

25 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

nobody in this day and age are genuinely skint, they just seem to forget priorities and then moan to the world that they are hard done to, far worse in the really genuinely poor countries.

cant afford the leccy or gas put a jumper on social services wont allow anyone to freeze knowingly.

its all political spin.

Sorry ABs, But I'm genuinely skint!

I used to have 3 holidays abroad, now I can only afford 2.

I've had to sell the Merc and buy a £40,000 cheap electric car..

Red salmon is no more, I make do with medium red,

Instead of going out 7 nights a week, I now go out 6, and spend a night in with cheap ASDA booze,

I've managed to cut my gambling losses from £40 a week to £33. mainly due to a better studying of form, rather than just chucking money away by betting Nilly Willy.

I've also turned the Central Heating down a degree during July.

It really is a struggle to survive in these difficult times.........

56 minutes ago, Padders said:

Sorry ABs, But I'm genuinely skint!

I used to have 3 holidays abroad, now I can only afford 2.

I've had to sell the Merc and buy a £40,000 cheap electric car..

Red salmon is no more, I make do with medium red,

Instead of going out 7 nights a week, I now go out 6, and spend a night in with cheap ASDA booze,

I've managed to cut my gambling losses from £40 a week to £33. mainly due to a better studying of form, rather than just chucking money away by betting Nilly Willy.

I've also turned the Central Heating down a degree during July.

It really is a struggle to survive in these difficult times.........

Fool - Nilly Willy came in at 100 to 1 in the 2.30 at Plumpton only this afternoon 🥴

23 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Fool - Nilly Willy came in at 100 to 1 in the 2.30 at Plumpton only this afternoon 🥴

Typical !

Story of my life,

When your on your Uppers, there's no escape.

3 hours ago, ab6262 said:

its all political spin.

What do you call homelessness then?

In really genuinely poor countries not many people die of hypothermia.