Greaves-Cabinet Case Making

Hi, it's a family history one. My Nan and her sisters lived around Bramall Lane, Shoreham Street and later Alderson Place during 1910-1980. In the 1920's-1930's they were on Duchess Road (Jessie, Fanny and Dora Coward)  and all worked intermittently at Greaves as Cabinet Case Liners. I've looked on the sites I know (PictureSheffield, SheffieldHistory) but haven't been able find a picture of the factory from around that time and now I'm living 100 miles from Sheffield I can't just pop over to the City Archives for a gander .  Any pointers from this group would be gratefully received

2 hours ago, david.stevenson said:

Hi, it's a family history one. My Nan and her sisters lived around Bramall Lane, Shoreham Street and later Alderson Place during 1910-1980. In the 1920's-1930's they were on Duchess Road (Jessie, Fanny and Dora Coward)  and all worked intermittently at Greaves as Cabinet Case Liners. I've looked on the sites I know (PictureSheffield, SheffieldHistory) but haven't been able find a picture of the factory from around that time and now I'm living 100 miles from Sheffield I can't just pop over to the City Archives for a gander .  Any pointers from this group would be gratefully received

There are a couple of earlier threads on this forum but no photos.

My grandfather was a cabinet maker at the Sidney Street works and he lived on the bit of Alderson Road between Bramall Lane and Shoreham Street. He probably knew your family.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/478247-e-greaves-sons/

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/21646-greaves-of-sheffield/

Hi david. Not sure if I have the correct info for you! but will relate it anyway.

1911 Sheffield Directory - CABINET & DRESSING CASE MAKERS - Edward Greaves & son 157 Shoreham Street.

THEN ;- on Matilda Street - had a fire 1940s/50?  

THEN;-  on SIDNEY  STREET at junction of Matilda Street. =

= not sure! but there ARE some photos on Picture Sheff of a building on this corner

if you want to check them out. = c03306 - c04773 - c04900  don't know if it is what you are looking for. 

( Also at some point company changed to G T Greaves of Sheffield, Cabinet Makers.) 

There is still a company of the same name at the EXCHANGE WORKS, SIDNEY STREET.

Ok Heartshome.

On 04/05/2022 at 22:09, Heartshome said:

Hi david. Not sure if I have the correct info for you! but will relate it anyway.

1911 Sheffield Directory - CABINET & DRESSING CASE MAKERS - Edward Greaves & son 157 Shoreham Street.

THEN ;- on Matilda Street - had a fire 1940s/50?  

THEN;-  on SIDNEY  STREET at junction of Matilda Street. =

= not sure! but there ARE some photos on Picture Sheff of a building on this corner

if you want to check them out. = c03306 - c04773 - c04900  don't know if it is what you are looking for. 

( Also at some point company changed to G T Greaves of Sheffield, Cabinet Makers.) 

There is still a company of the same name at the EXCHANGE WORKS, SIDNEY STREET.

Ok Heartshome.

My recollection is that Greaves was at the junction of  Sidney Street and Furnival Street in the 60s. There is a new building on the site now.

Thank you all, apologies for not responding sooner, work got in the way - I'll follow all of these up - I would have replied individually but haven't worked out if I can do that yet .......and to Jim Hardie, my grandparents were just at the top of Alderson Place at No 3, directly across the road from the Golden Lion (where I had my first legal drink and a few earlier illegal one's with my Dad and Grandad before United matches) and 1 door down from what used to be a grocer's shop on the corner of Alderson Road/Alderson Place in the 1960's/1970's. My nan Jessie was a great one for keeping in touch with those she worked with (she used to say Alderson Place was a street mainly made up of Greaves's widows) so I hope the families knew each other

• 1 year later...

This may be too late but I've only just come across this thread whilst doing a bit of nostalgic roaming. I see from the other two threads that no one can find any photos of Greaves's factory. I can, although they are when it was well ablaze. If I can find a way to attach the two photos I will. They were taken by my much older half brother with my father's Kodak 620 roll film camera. A journalist saw Alan take the photos and they bought the film from him, processed it and used the photos in the Telegraph and Star.

If someone can tell me how to compile the URL for my local hard disc, I will post the photos, because I can't work it out !!

On 03/05/2022 at 16:10, david.stevenson said:

Worked there in 1979 horrible full of dust and Mr know-it-alls they were wood machinists most ic them not joiners or cabinet makers ..