Find Me A Steel Ruler

I need recommendations for a good quality, 30 cm steel ruler. 

There are plenty to be found, but a look at the reviews suggests that they're mostly of rubbish quality (thin, warped, wobbly, very sharp edges, chunks missing, scale truncated by poor finishing etc etc etc).  

Everyone I've asked seems to have had one in a their tool box for thirty years, or inherited one from a relative who had it in their tool box for thirty years.  Surely steel rulers are not all cheap crap nowadays.

Don't know whether you can get Sheffield made ones these days, but if you can get hold of Rabone Chesterman, Moore and Wright, Starrett (American) etc they're  all good quality.

The  Rolson is not bad, but the graduations on the Chesterman are superior and has metric on the reverse side. The smaller rule actually has 100ths on the reverse.

tNvn8uz.jpg

Look out for an old Rabone/Rabone Chesterman .

There is a second hand engineering tool shop on Attercliffe Common that I call in for old engineering tools such as micrometers,callipers etc.

Thank you very much indeed.  This is exactly what I'm looking for.  Much appreciated.

I'm not in Sheffield, and I wouldn't know where to begin with looking for junk shops here, so I'm making a start by investigating those brands online.

It seems the Rabone brand has been taken over by Stanley and the rules are now made in China and the quality is not what it was (though they don't look as bad as the ones I was looking at yesterday in various places).

I've found only old 'contraction rules' so far, which are apparently used for measuring hot metal.  You learn something new every day.

No help to you I’m afraid, Hecate – apart from another product endorsment – but I have a 304mm (yes), 45-year-old Rabone Chesterman 477R (conversion typescale: mm to 8pt/ 10pt/12pt) that I still use and it looks like new.

Rustless chrome face. Not warped or wobbly. Sharp edges yes, but softened slightly by years of use and no impact on the scale markings.

10 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

No help to you I’m afraid, Hecate – apart from another product endorsment – but I have a 304mm (yes), 45-year-old Rabone Chesterman 477R (conversion typescale: mm to 8pt/ 10pt/12pt) that I still use and it looks like new.

Rustless chrome face. Not warped or wobbly. Sharp edges yes, but softened slightly by years of use and no impact on the scale markings.

Show off