British Energy Prices

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I made a guess in the second bit of my post. Maybe its an effort to stop people getting huge quarterly bills....they just get big ones 6 times a year instead. Spread the pain out.

That's exactly what I wondered..

4 minutes ago, fools said:

Paying a fixed amount monthly by direct debit is normally significantly cheaper than paying on receipt of bill, have they loaded a charge on top for paying this way?

Don't think so.....

Next bill should come early Sept, see what happens.

They may have loaded it onto your unit price, at the point you took the contract out.

(If you're bothered about saving money), it might be worth looking into it beforehand, especially if your fixed rate contract (if that is what it is) ends in the meantime.

19 minutes ago, fools said:

They may have loaded it onto your unit price, at the point you took the contract out.

(If you're bothered about saving money), it might be worth looking into it beforehand, especially if your fixed rate contract (if that is what it is) ends in the meantime.

They will have. "Pay on reciept of bill" rates are higher than "monthly" rates on the standard variable tarriff, but Padders looks to be on a fix so as you say, accounted for at the time he did it.

Padders when does your fix end?

1 hour ago, fools said:

Paying a fixed amount monthly by direct debit is normally significantly cheaper than paying on receipt of bill, have they loaded a charge on top for paying this way?

Not really, a bit cheaper but not much and that can also depend on who the supplier is.

I pay by variable DD which is not fixed.

58 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

They will have. "Pay on reciept of bill" rates are higher than "monthly" rates on the standard variable tarriff, but Padders looks to be on a fix so as you say, accounted for at the time he did it.

Padders when does your fix end?

Sorry to sound a lot thick (I know, I know) but I haven't a clue...

I just send them a meter reading, and pay the bill when it arrives...

My last 2 bills were for 2 months instead of 3.

That's what is puzzling me...

I'm not complaining about the bill itself.....(I could but I won't)

Just had a look at my bill, current tariff's end Nov 2022.

Edited by Padders
added on.

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

Not really, a bit cheaper but not much and that can also depend on who the supplier is.

I pay by variable DD which is not fixed.

Mine is £170pa cheaper, (and a fixed DD is far less hassle) - that may be nothing to you, but in the context of this thread, belittling the possible savings isn't very informative.

Some people are stuck in their ways, or don't know.

Some are anti-direct debit, anti-smart meter, or stuck on pre-payment meters - avoiding monthly DD/not having a smartmeter or voluntarily using prepayment meters will cost more. Deliberately paying more than you need to is very odd.

Edited by fools

42 minutes ago, Padders said:

Sorry to sound a lot thick (I know, I know) but I haven't a clue...

I just send them a meter reading, and pay the bill when it arrives...

My last 2 bills were for 2 months instead of 3.

That's what is puzzling me...

I'm not complaining about the bill itself.....(I could but I won't)

Just had a look at my bill, current tariff's end Nov 2022.

OK....well in November your rate will shoot up to well over 30p per unit for electric, your method of payment is the most expensive too so you should really rethink that later in the year.