Vegans V Vegetarians

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

That's a bit of a disgrace I think.

Why should people be banned from eating what they can eat anywhere else, particularly when they are in the overwhelming majority AND the overwhelming  majority of those paying all the taxes for those functions also eat meat etc.

Are they banned from eating meat or is it just not provided? If somebody really is that desperate to eat a bit of animal they could eat beforehand or take something along for themselves - just like vegetarians/vegans/Jews/Muslims/others with specific dietary requirements had to in the past. Providing for several different dietary requirements would cost more and meat is relatively expensive. If those tax payers are that concerned about their taxes they'd be glad of the council minimising the expense.

I am not asking for sympathy, I am asking about what you think is fair. And I suspect, from your answer, you may be a bit of a vegan militant.

Had you paid attention earlier on in this thread you'd know that I'm not even a vegan let lone a militant one.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Beechwood_S6 said:

As a vegetarian, I'd happily have the Vegan options,, I only buy Cheese and eggs when they are reduced and likely to go to waste, if i'm paying full price I will always choose the Vegan option.

Sorry, you appear to be saying you're only a Vegan when its cheaper than being a vegetarian ! ? !

How is that doing it for high ideals (and, many do, looking down on the rest of us) ?

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

Sorry, you appear to be saying you're only a Vegan when its cheaper than being a vegetarian ! ? !

How is that doing it for high ideals (and, many do, looking down on the rest of us) ?

no you muppet, its about food waste you really are Dim 

8 minutes ago, altus said:

Are they banned from eating meat or is it just not provided? If somebody really is that desperate to eat a bit of animal they could eat beforehand or take something along for themselves - just like vegetarians/vegans/Jews/Muslims/others with specific dietary requirements had to in the past. Providing for several different dietary requirements would cost more and meat is relatively expensive. If those tax payers are that concerned about their taxes they'd be glad of the council minimising the expense.

Wait on, you're saying that attendees to a Council function, should be grateful that the council are providing them with food they do not want because it may save money ? ! ? Except it wouldn't because nearly all of it was thrown away anyway. How environmentally  friendly is that ?

It's virtue signalling nonsense, even more unacceptable because the meat eating tax payers (paying for it all) are deliberately being served food they do not want and Cambridge City Council even know they do not want it.

Still, that's consistent the way of the world these days, the government, in all its forms, knows best.

21 minutes ago, altus said:

Had you paid attention earlier on in this thread you'd know that I'm not even a vegan let lone a militant one.

clearly it looks like he is, incapable of reading.

I'm surprised he's allowed out by himself :shocked:

Edited by Beechwood_S6

15 minutes ago, Beechwood_S6 said:

no you muppet, its about food waste you really are Dim 

And you are conforming to the stereotype. Al Bundy was right.....

9 minutes ago, Beechwood_S6 said:

clearly it looks like he is, incapable of reading.

I'm surprised he's allowed out by himself :shocked:

As above.

Edited by Chekhov

9 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Wait on, you're saying that attendees to a Council function, should be grateful that the council are providing them with food they do not want because it may save money ? ! ? Except it wouldn't because nearly all of it was thrown away anyway. How environmentally  friendly is that ?

You're the one who started going on about tax payers. Councils didn't used to provide food for those with dietary requirements because it was more expense, I was just drawing a comparison with that to the situation Cambridge council are trying to introduce. As for stuff being thrown away, if it really was, the council will be able to save even more money by not providing as much food in the future.

It's virtue signalling nonsense, even more unacceptable because the meat eating tax payers (paying for it all) are deliberately being served food they do not want and Cambridge City Council even know they do not want it.

Still, that's consistent the way of the world these days, the government, in all its forms, knows best.

Meat eating tax payers didn't pay for all of it - or are you claiming vegetarians/vegans don't have to pay council tax in Cambridge?

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Not strictly speaking relevant for this thread but personally speaking I can understand why people would want to be vegetarian (though I am not one myself), I can't so much understand why people would want to be  vegan. Much harder and, to me, less reason to bother.

Well suppose the motivation is minimising animal suffering. Back in the day there was  the perception that animals providing milk or eggs weren't subject to cruelty as they weren't being killed for their flesh in the way that meat animals are.

These days I'd say that distinction is not valid- animals providing milk or eggs are subject to extreme abuse- arguably worse that that which meat animals receive.

Hens are kept in very confined housing, are subject to 'debeaking', fed with such highly fattening food combined with steroids that they are grossly obese for most of their lives, etc. The 'cruelty free'/'free range' labels are largely just marketing lies.

That being the case it makes far, far more sense, for those who want to minimise animal suffering, to be vegan rather than vegetarian.