Vegans V Vegetarians

18 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Vegans v Vegetarians. 

Is this a boxing match because I can't see it going more than 2 rounds before they flag from lack of protein & iron deficiency.

You might want to check out the diets of gladiators in ancient Rome and the popularity of veganism amongst some MMA fighters before making that joke again.

2 minutes ago, altus said:

You might want to check out the diets of gladiators in ancient Rome and the popularity of veganism amongst some MMA fighters before making that joke again.

Some argue that due to the nature of gladiator combat i.e. edged weapons, that the prime function of the gladiators diet was to ensure a fairly high level of bodyfat, as this would help to prolong the fights.

Which mma fighters are vegan?

I understand Diaz isn't any longer vegan?

Any long term vegans doing well in mma?

4 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Some argue that due to the nature of gladiator combat i.e. edged weapons, that the prime function of the gladiators diet was to ensure a fairly high level of bodyfat, as this would help to prolong the fights.

Which mma fighters are vegan?

I understand Diaz isn't any longer vegan?

Any long term vegans doing well in mma?

I don’t know about MMA, but David Haye is famously vegan.

I don’t fancy fighting him, even after steak and chips.

9 minutes ago, sibon said:

David Haye isn't vegan. 

David Haye talks a lot of guff.

Amazing boxer in his time though. Possibly one of the best cruiserweights boxing has ever seen. A decent heavyweight too for a smaller guy. But vegan? Na, just David telling one of his porkies.

And it isn't a plant based porkie either. 

6 minutes ago, sibon said:

David got busted eating meat last year, I went Vegan 2001 but i'm happy to eat vegetarian (eggs) as friends have chickens so no cruelty involved, I only drink substitute milks,   I also used to train on and off at the Lodge (Fitzroy Lodge) 1989-2004 as I worked nextdoor and Mick Carney used to let me train and I let the Boxing Club use our scales to weigh in on fight nights, Sky used to cover the fights live, good times and David Hayes was always the star turn at the club.  

Recently started training again as part of a study, the Vegan diet gives me plenty in the tank for workouts.   not sure why dickhov started a thread pitting vegans Vs vegetarians as an issue, guess it makes some warped sense in his peanut head.

My favourite vege sausages - Cauldron Cumberland - have just been changed to a vegan recipe.  They're now awful: very salty with an overwhelming essence of gravy granules and a dreadful texture. 

Vegan options are often perfectly acceptable, but in some instances they can't adequately replace a vegetarian item.  Vegan pastry is mostly terrible (dry and crumbly), and sliced vegan 'ham' often has an unfortunate gelatinous texture (Quorn, I'm looking at you).

ETA: Richmond meat-free sausages are vegan and they're very nice indeed.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Hecate said:

My favourite vege sausages - Cauldron Cumberland - have just been changed to a vegan recipe.  They're now awful: very salty with an overwhelming essence of gravy granules and a dreadful texture. 

Vegan options are often perfectly acceptable, but in some instances they can't adequately replace a vegetarian item.  Vegan pastry is mostly terrible (dry and crumbly), and sliced vegan 'ham' often has an unfortunate gelatinous texture (Quorn, I'm looking at you).

ETA: Richmond meat-free sausages are vegan and they're very nice indeed.

My wife makes a really good shepherd's pie with Quorn.  Apparently it's good for me.   Plenty of gravy & a good dousing of Hendersons, delicious. 

Although I still prefer the old skool  version with something in it that once had a face.