Vegans V Vegetarians

7 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My wife makes a really good shepherd's pie with Quorn.  Apparently it's good for me.   Plenty of gravy & a good dousing of Hendersons, delicious. 

Although I still prefer the old skool  version with something in it that once had a face. 

Quorn mince is great stuff, but it can take a few goes to get the seasoning and amount of liquid right.  Quorn do some fine vege ham too, but some shops have a limited range and sell only the vegan version.

Cauldron have really buggered up with the switch to the new vegan recipe.  A vegan alternative would have been nice; a replacement means that I'm no longer buying Cauldron sausages.

• 3 months later...
On 26/01/2023 at 21:49, Hecate said:

My favourite vege sausages - Cauldron Cumberland - have just been changed to a vegan recipe.  They're now awful: very salty with an overwhelming essence of gravy granules and a dreadful texture. 

Vegan options are often perfectly acceptable, but in some instances they can't adequately replace a vegetarian item.  Vegan pastry is mostly terrible (dry and crumbly), and sliced vegan 'ham' often has an unfortunate gelatinous texture (Quorn, I'm looking at you).

ETA: Richmond meat-free sausages are vegan and they're very nice indeed.

Good news: Cauldron have brought back their original recipe vegetarian Lincolnshire and Cumberland sausages! 

Look for 'original recipe' on the packaging to make sure that you don't get the dreadful vegan version.

On 10/05/2022 at 10:07, Chekhov said:

Interesting discussion on the radio last night, which reflected the grievances my wife (who is a vegetarian, well pescatarian actually) has been having for a few years.

Despite the fact more people are supposed to be going meat free in their diet it is actually becoming harder to get tasty vegetarian meals at restaurants, on planes etc.

How can that be ?

Well it's because many eateries are just offering vegan alternatives (i.e. no milk, cheese, eggs etc) in order to make it easier for them. They think vegetarians can eat vegan food but not necessarily the other way around, so just offer vegan. But that's cobblers because on that basis why not go the whole hog (not literally, for vegetarians anyway) and just offer vegan meals for everyone, after all, meat eaters can eat vegan food (if they absolutely have to ! ) can't they ?

In fact the representative of some vegan society was supporting just offering vegan alternatives in the aforementioned radio discussion. Well she would wouldn't she, if she was being selfish that is, she gets what she wants so sod everyone else.

Vegetarians are about 6% of the UK population, pescatarians (who eat fish) account for a further 5%, but Vegans are only 3%.

The tail is wagging the dog here I feel.

Eat at home instead of supporting eateries who refuse to please. They'll soon get the message when the place is empty.

Less chance of suffering from food poisoning too that way.