Thatcher Statue In Grantham

Just now, West 77 said:

What I'm saying is I oppose the abolition of clause 28.  Acceptance and promotion of homosexuality are two different things.

The whole point is that Section 28 sought to stop acceptance! The wording is clear and includes the perjorative 'pretended' on top of that. Do you seriously think Section 28 was brought in because schools were saying, 'go on give a try'. 

41 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

The politicians who have followed her and most before and are political Pygmy’s in contrast.

8 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Most politicians who have come after her and those who came before  are political Pygmy’s in contrast to her.

I think you need to look up what most means, ya daft wazzock.

2 hours ago, Norbert said:

The whole point is that Section 28 sought to stop acceptance! The wording is clear and includes the perjorative 'pretended' on top of that. Do you seriously think Section 28 was brought in because schools were saying, 'go on give a try'. 

I don't think many will know the details, we just hope our representatives are doing the right thing.

I believe marriage between people with children should be encouraged. I don't think statues are a good idea, they have only recently toppled a slavery statue in Bristol.

Margaret Thatcher was an exceptional woman in anybody's book. The fact that she was a contraversial figure, (and I for one totally disagreed with her politics) shouldn't disbar her from having a statue, there are few enough of those, honouring remarkable women in Britain.

But I'm not surprised it has stirred up some very strong feelings amongst the population.

However here is a lowborn woman who made it right to the top in a man's world, mostly through her own merit, and made a real diference, (whether you liked  that difference or not.) That in itself is an achievement. She deserves to be remembered, and I'm sure will continue to be the subject of much argument and debate for many years to come. 

How about a statue of a miner, steelworker or Union leader to stand alongside her?

Edited by Anna B

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

But I'm not surprised it has stirred up some very strong feelings amongst the population.

Such things don't get planning permission, because it's devisive and security is expensive.