Struggling With The Cost Of Living?

22 minutes ago, RJRB said:

We control our usage but I would have thought that standing charges exceeded this.

No but it does eat into charges. My normal electricity bill at the moment even on a PAYG meter is around £9-10 PW and Gas on DD even less as I don't use it much is around £7 PW averaged over the year. Living in a flat also helps and so does being single and knowing how to budget.

5 hours ago, sibon said:

If you are still struggling with the cost of living, ask Centrica for a sub.

The owner of British Gas has just announced half year profits of £1.3bn pounds, up by a factor of five compared to last year.

Shell made profits of £11bn in the last quarter.

That’s where your gas bill is going to.

I would have thought that Starmer would be going ballistic about this, but having said that the tenants of the Palace of Westminster aren’t exactly skint lint are they?

Guest sibon
6 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I would have thought that Starmer would be going ballistic about this, but having said that the tenants of the Palace of Westminster aren’t exactly skint lint are they?

I’d tax their profits at 100% and give it back to  the customers, so they can pay the extortionate bills.

Don’t rely on Starmer for that though.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

The owners of those companies are not fat-cats, they are listed on the London FTSE. Many have shares in those companies via a SIPP or a private pension.

I knew that someone would make that argument. It is, of course, nothing but a distraction from the rank profiteering that we are all putting up with.

Just now, sibon said:

I’d tax their profits at 100% and give it back to  the customers, so they can pay the extortionate bills.

Don’t rely on Starmer for that though.

I knew that someone would make that argument. It is, of course, nothing but a distraction from the rank profiteering that we are all putting up with.

You could be a beneficiary of such windfall profits if you invested in a few shares of those publicly traded entities.

'Course you'd have to take a little risk, with nobody to bail you out if you guessed wrong!  :)

Stay safe!

6 minutes ago, trastrick said:

You could be a beneficiary of such windfall profits if you invested in a few shares of those publicly traded entities.

'Course you'd have to take a little risk, with nobody to bail you out if you guessed wrong!  :)

Stay safe!

He’d need a lot more than a ‘few shares’ to cover current increases.

Guest sibon
30 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Stay safe!

Interesting assumption on your behalf.

However, that  is all in hand, for me at least. But thanks for the unsolicited and unnecessary advice.

Nevertheless, profiteering on this scale leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Edited by sibon

Just now, crookesey said:

He’d need a lot more than a ‘few shares’ to cover current increases.

If you start early enough, are sure of your opinions, many "have nots," have turned into "haves".

It's done all the time.

But there's so many reasons people can find, "not to bother".

4 minutes ago, trastrick said:

If you start early enough, are sure of your opinions, many "have nots," have turned into "haves".

It's done all the time.

But there's so many reasons people can find, "not to bother".

I’m not exactly a stocks and shares virgin, just telling it how it is, take it or leave it.