Struggling With The Cost Of Living?

4 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

You seem to love twisting the context of posts to suit don't you.

I don't think anyone on here has posted the idea that genuine poverty does not exist except you in the above post.

A poor attempt.

Thanks I love that. Now it's time for some Electric Ladyland, a brilliant album to trip along to..... 

Maybe you should too as you seem a little lost for words. :hihi:

2 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

Would you be happy to pay the same amount of tax as the Scandinavian peoples do Anna?

If you add in all the stealth taxes we pay (you can't breathe in this country without incurring some tax or other) I think you'll find we don't pay much less than Scandinavian countries, and their taxes are spent well. They are second to none in most fields; health, education, social care, transport etc. Many of them only work a 4 day week too. The people  also score very high on the general satisfaction ratings. 

So yes, I think I would, as long as the rich also paid their fair share, without recourse to tax avoidance and evasion schemes. In fact if they did that, we probably wouldn't have to raise taxes much at all. The other part of the deal is that our taxes are spent properly on things that benefit everybody, so we can see the results. And we get value for money. At the moment too much of our cash is finishing up in the back pockets of government cronies for very dubious contracts.

I think it would be worth it for peace of mind alone, but at the rate everything is being privatised we would be better off in the long run. Too many essentials are now outside our pockets.

6 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

You seem to love twisting the context of posts to suit don't you.

I don't think anyone on here has posted the idea that genuine poverty does not exist except you in the above post.

A poor attempt.

Thanks I love that. Now it's time for some Electric Ladyland, a brilliant album to trip along to..... 

Maybe you should too as you seem a little lost for words. :hihi:

I really don't

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

If you add in all the stealth taxes we pay (you can't breathe in this country without incurring some tax or other) I think you'll find we don't pay much less than Scandinavian countries, and their taxes are spent well. They are second to none in most fields; health, education, social care, transport etc. Many of them only work a 4 day week too. The people  also score very high on the general satisfaction ratings. 

As pointed out previously they also have the highest suicide rates as well. Probably as a result of paying all that tax!

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

I really don't

So who then posted the idea that genuine poverty does not exist?

Just now, Dromedary said:

As pointed out previously they also have the highest suicide rates as well. Probably as a result of paying all that tax!

Or it might be because they experience long dark winters 

5 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

We don't even acknowledge a lot of our suicides. I seem to remember the government  refusing to release the figures after one enquiry because they were so damming.

Edited by Anna B

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

We don't even acknowledge a lot of our suicides. I seem to remember them refusing to release the figures after one enquiry because they were so damming.

Where do you get that data from if its not acknowledged? and who are them and what enquiry?