Struggling With The Cost Of Living?

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

It’s amazing what wild fruit is out there, just a case of opening your eyes 

back in the day as kids we knew where all the fruit and veg was in Woodhus  lol (Apples, plums, gooseberries and even potatoes we used to eat raw LOL)

2 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

There’s plenty of wild fruitcakes on here.

You know it brother :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, melthebell said:

back in the day as kids we knew where all the fruit and veg was in Woodhus  lol (Apples, plums, gooseberries and even potatoes we used to eat raw LOL)

And turnips 😀

14 hours ago, Padders said:

Had a walk round Ecclesfield Pk. today.

Right hand side at the far end is an orchard, It's just trees growing wild.

Apple trees, Pear trees, Plum trees, all of them with branches sagging under the weight of the fruit, there's also loads of Blackberries and Raspberries all going to waste...

Bloomin Ek, they wouldn't have lasted long when I was a kid.

Anyway thats me stocked up with fruit.

That would be Ecclesfield Community Orchard; some details about it here:

http://www.ecclesfieldpark.co.uk/Creating the Community Garden.html

I believe the orchard was well maintained when they first created it, but it does seem to have been left to go a bit wild over the last couple of years. I've never been entirely sure if it's ok to just help yourself but, as you say, there's a lot of fruit there that appears to be going to waste so it seems silly not to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think many people on here realise just how screwed we are and just how bad things are going to get, possibly for years.

And there is no money left in the kitty to bail people out this time, it all went on furlough payments and test and trace. We cannot borrow any more money because of how much we already owe and interest rates are going up making that more expensive anyway, but even if we could borrow even more that would just stoke inflation even more, and that hasn't finished rising yet either. A business forum I contribute to has a thread on there about how high inflation may go and the some reckon BOE will have increased base rate to 3%+ by December by the end of 2023 it will be 6-7%.

Think about that SEVEN PERCENT ! 

And that's base rates, actual loans (e.g. mortgages will be much higher).

And 7% is "normal" historically speaking, it has only been the importation of ultra cheap goods from China that has kept it down, but that is ending now as their wages rise and their standard of living generally goes up, plus they are still locking down anyway.......

HELP !

uk-base-rates-79-17-600x438.png.webp

Edited by Chekhov

10 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I don't think many people on here realise just how screwed we are and just how bad things are going to get, possibly for years.

And there is no money left in the kitty to bail people out this time, it all went on furlough payments and test and trace. We cannot borrow any more money because of how much we already owe and interest rates are going up making that more expensive anyway, but even if we could borrow even more that would just stoke inflation even more, and that hasn't finished rising yet either. A business forum I contribute to has a thread on there about how high inflation may go and the some reckon BOE will have increased base rate to 3%+ by December by the end of 2023 it will be 6-7%.

Think about that SEVEN PERCENT ! 

And that's base rates, actual loans (e.g. mortgages will be much higher).

And 7% is "normal" historically speaking, it has only been the importation of ultra cheap goods from China that has kept it down, but that is ending now as their wages rise and their standard of living generally goes up, plus they are still locking down anyway.......

HELP !

uk-base-rates-79-17-600x438.png.webp

Given the indebtedness we were in as a country after WW2, I wonder how we coped then?

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

Answer We didn't completely get rid of rationing till 1954........

And we didn't pay those who as a nation we borrowed from till sometime in the late 1990s.

Anyway, I see today the interim Chancellor has been indicating that people on middle incomes, on £45,000 will need help with energy bills too.

You won't hear Liz Truss saying that. Not at the moment anyway.