Struggling With The Cost Of Living?

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

How about a non violent serial burglar, rummaging around your house, while your kids are asleep?

Not to mention that if the punishment for a crime is a fine, it becomes in practice legal for rich people.

Minor example: Wheel clamping illegally parked cars in London started of because rich people viewed parking fines as a charge for parking wherever they liked. It was only once they started being inconvenienced by being, temporarily, denied the use of their car that they started obeying the law.

3 minutes ago, altus said:

Not to mention that if the punishment for a crime is a fine, it becomes in practice legal for rich people.

Minor example: Wheel clamping illegally parked cars in London started of because rich people viewed parking fines as a charge for parking wherever they liked. It was only once they started being inconvenienced by being, temporarily, denied the use of their car that they started obeying the law.

Agreed.

43 minutes ago, trastrick said:

A simple solution would be to force thieves, burglars, vandals, shoplifters, looters and the rest to pay full financial restitution to their victims, and a hefty fine that increases with each offense.

How do you force someone to pay financial restitution when most of the above do what they do as a way of getting money in the first palace?

43 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Until they have discharged that debt  fully to the society they have pillaged and looted, they should be denied the privileges of said society, like voting, drivers license, passport, or government employment.

That I'm afraid falls foul of many human rights laws and just cannot happen in our modern society.

Guest ThaBoom
8 hours ago, sibon said:

This is a long Twitter thread, but very interesting. 

Richard Murphy is a Professor at Sheffield University. He’s written quite a few of these threads, but this one is full of information about how energy prices don’t need to be as they are. It details how the government could easily force the industry to reduce prices by over 50%, whilst still making a profit. Simultaneously saving lives, businesses and driving down inflation.

Worth ten minutes of any one’s time.

People like him should be saying this on tv/ to the masses and letting the government hear- then you might get a reaction.

Edited by ThaBoom

5 hours ago, trastrick said:

It's game for some folks, not a place to have a rational discussion. and that's how a few posters finish up in lockstep and will not tolerate any views but their own.

So poitical discussion forums end up being frequented, and 'owned' by one side of the political spectrum or the other.

Some websites have discontinued their comments sections, for that reason. The Hill, Discover Magazine more recently. Some don't even have a comment section, like the CNN, Guardian, and others, like the WashPost, and NYT are so heavily moderated (read biased) that a respectful and polite comment can disappear with no explanation.

FoxNews comments section is likewise their choir preaching to their choir.

So it is, what it is.

I prefer a free for all where all views can be expressed.

And looks like our SF fills that gap. Thanks to the moderators.  :)

My minority conservative/libertarian views, have generated much name calling and petty personal insults, but I'm not here to make friends so it goes over my head.

If you can't stand the heat, the simple choice is to stay out of the kitchen!  :)

Well have to agree to disagree on that. Not everyone is capable of verbally defending themselves like you or I can. I know of one member personally who has left because on the few occasions they've posted they have been targeted and attacked.

That should NOT happen on a family forum. 

12 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Maybe not as most fiddle the electric so it does not show up as high usage.

Really? Perhaps you can tell me how to do it.

Nobody I know can give me any tips.

So I'm relying on you to help me reduce my leccy bill.

16 hours ago, Anna B said:

Really? Perhaps you can tell me how to do it.

Nobody I know can give me any tips.

So I'm relying on you to help me reduce my leccy bill.

Anna I'm shocked!

And all this talk of equality, fairness, those not paying their fair share etc,.  :)