Struggling With The Cost Of Living?

1 minute ago, sibon said:

There is also £35bn of tax fraud/evasion each year in the UK.

I’d be all for clamping down on benefit fraudsters, but they will have to join a long queue of other types of ne’er-do-wells.

I agree!

A pox on all their houses!

I'n not familiar with the U.K. but I know in the U.S. and Canada some folks and businesses made out like bandits during the COVID

Biggest fraud in a generation': The looting of the Covid relief plan known as PPP

"The official in charge of Covid relief tells NBC News' Lester Holt that programs like PPP were structured in ways that were "an invitation" to fraudsters".

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/biggest-fraud-generation-looting-covid-relief-program-known-ppp-n1279664

Time to get serious with some serious enforcement and penalties.

Armed FBI raids if neccessary!  :)

Biggest fraud in a generation': The looting of the Covid relief plan known as PPPThe official in charge of Covid relief tells NBC News' Lester Holt that programs like PPP were structured in ways that were "an invitation" to fraudsters.

Biggest fraud in a generation': The looting of the Covid relief plan known as PThe official in charge of Covid relief tells NBC News' Lester Holt that programs like PPP were structured in ways that were "an invTime to get serious

5 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I agree!

A pox on all their houses!

I'n not familiar with the U.K. but I know in the U.S. and Canada some folks and businesses made out like bandits during the COVID

Biggest fraud in a generation': The looting of the Covid relief plan known as PPP

"The official in charge of Covid relief tells NBC News' Lester Holt that programs like PPP were structured in ways that were "an invitation" to fraudsters".

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/biggest-fraud-generation-looting-covid-relief-program-known-ppp-n1279664

Time to get serious with some serious enforcement and penalties.

Armed FBI raids if neccessary!  :)

Same here. There is about £6bn of unrecovered fraud from the pandemic support scheme. Nobody seems terribly interested in doing anything about it.

We’ve been retired for circa 12 years, both draw State  & Private pensions, I have been able to transfer 10% of my wife’s allowance to myself, thus reducing my tax liability. As for fiddling, neither of us have any idea or interest in doing so.

43 minutes ago, sibon said:

There is also £35bn of tax fraud/evasion each year in the UK.

I’d be all for clamping down on benefit fraudsters, but they will have to join a long queue of other types of ne’er-do-wells.

Even though there is vastly more tax fraud than benefit fraud, Governments have been diverting resources from HMRC to the DWP in terms of fraud investigators.

So even though Government ministers know there is billions more lost from tax fraud, they prioritise benefit fraud.

Edited by Mister M

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

Give your glasses a wipe. :)

"This type of fraud costs the taxpayer an estimated £2 billion per year. This equates to more than £70 for every taxpayer. This money could be invested in essential services."

• work but do not declare it
  • claim as a single person but actually have a partner living with them
  • do not tell us about the full amount of income, savings or capital they receive/have
  • do not tell us if other adults are living in the household
  • claim for an address when they are not living there
  • claim in more than one name
  • do not declare that they are living in a property owned by a close relative
  • do not tell us their true personal or financial circumstances.

https://www.ashfield.gov.uk/benefits-council-tax/fraud/

Or

"The total monetary value of overpayments increased to £8.6bn in FYE 2022, from £8.2bn in FYE 2021."

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/fraud-and-error-in-the-benefit-system-financial-year-2021-to-2022-estimates/fraud-and-error-in-the-benefit-system-financial-year-ending-fye-2022#total-estimates-of-fraud-and-error-across-all-benefit-expenditure

And £16 Billion remains unclaimed in benefits, which rather refutes the claim that the unemployed etc are workshy scroungers. I don't see anyone wanting to swap places with them, if it's such a cushy number.

Please turn your attention to the rich tax dodgers who have more money than they can possibly spend in a lifetime but still want more and are prepared to break the law to get it.... If caught they might get a slap on the wrist and that's about all. 

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/blog/2020/february/16-billion-remains-unclaimed-in-means-tested-benefits-each-year/

38 minutes ago, West 77 said:

At least those committing tax fraud will have have contributed large sums of money to the treasury in past taxes they have paid and with the money they spend. The benefit scroungers contribute nothing and are a burden on society.

There goes Westy with his wonky moral compass again. He’s all in favour of wealthy tax cheats, but enraged by benefit cheats.

Typical Tory really.  

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

Give your glasses a wipe. :)

"This type of fraud costs the taxpayer an estimated £2 billion per year. This equates to more than £70 for every taxpayer. This money could be invested in essential services."

• work but do not declare it
  • claim as a single person but actually have a partner living with them
  • do not tell us about the full amount of income, savings or capital they receive/have
  • do not tell us if other adults are living in the household
  • claim for an address when they are not living there
  • claim in more than one name
  • do not declare that they are living in a property owned by a close relative
  • do not tell us their true personal or financial circumstances.

https://www.ashfield.gov.uk/benefits-council-tax/fraud/

Or

"The total monetary value of overpayments increased to £8.6bn in FYE 2022, from £8.2bn in FYE 2021."

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/fraud-and-error-in-the-benefit-system-financial-year-2021-to-2022-estimates/fraud-and-error-in-the-benefit-system-financial-year-ending-fye-2022#total-estimates-of-fraud-and-error-across-all-benefit-expenditure

All hot and bothered about 8bn ‘benefit fraud’, yet cannot be @rsed lifting a finger about 32bn ‘tax fraud’…This you?

Edited by L00b
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Not a surprise a member of the Mister Men gang sides with benefit scroungers rather than those who provide the funds to give the benefits scroungers their handouts.

I’m siding with neither.

Your reading skills need a bit of a brush up. You could do that once you’ve fixed your moral compass.