Modern Life Is Rubbish

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

PS I am assuming that Sibon, the arch opponent of parents, who is apparently a physics teacher 

First of all, you’d be much better served if you assumed nothing.

Secondly, I’m not “apparently “ a Physics teacher. You might wish to amend your post.

And most importantly, I’m not an arch opponent of parents. I’m a staunch supporter of them.  Particularly the ones who are trying desperately to keep their young ones safe.  

If you had seen what I’ve seen, you would never have written that sentence.

Guest makapaka

We need to find a new balance somehow - my daughter is a very good netball player (I’m told) - through a combination of covid / security / safeguarding I’ve never actually seen her play. 

The above post should be taken in conjunction with that below to get to the aforementioned very big number.....

PS I am assuming that Sibon, the arch opponent of parents, who is apparently a physics teacher (and therefore, in a way, a scientists) know about statistics and therefore, in his heart of hearts, knows this is all true.

Why do you keep quoting yourself  ?

One for Mr Checkov to get his pants in a tis again, Carbon Neutral Asphalt being trialed.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/environment/rotherham-council-trials-uks-first-carbon-negative-asphalt-in-road-resurfacing-scheme-3717427

On 04/06/2022 at 23:52, hackey lad said:

because he keeps waffeling on about the same subject in his blind obsession?

On 04/06/2022 at 23:47, makapaka said:

We need to find a new balance somehow - my daughter is a very good netball player (I’m told) - through a combination of covid / security / safeguarding I’ve never actually seen her play. 

Must be hereditary Maka apparently you yourself were good at the old ball sports albeit pocket billiards 🤣.

keep safe 8)  :thumbsup:

On 04/06/2022 at 23:52, hackey lad said:

Because one post was to be read in conjunction with the other. Surely that's easier than expecting people to flick between them....

5 hours ago, melthebell said:

One for Mr Checkov to get his pants in a tis again, Carbon Neutral Asphalt being trialed.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/environment/rotherham-council-trials-uks-first-carbon-negative-asphalt-in-road-resurfacing-scheme-3717427

Why should I get annoyed about that ? Unless it costs a fortune. I didn't read all the article because reading stuff on The Star's website is a PITA with all the flashing adverts.

Edited by Chekhov

On 01/06/2022 at 13:43, Tyke02 said:

You wouldn't have to anyway, as I said before there is no obligation to repeat testing on change of tenant as far as I can see. There is however an obligation to have a survey carried out every five years.

There shouldn't be, but that is what this implies :

https://www.emelec.co.uk/5-year-electrical-testing-fixed-wire-test/

Residential accommodation (Houses of Multiple Occupation) – halls of residence, nurses accommodation, etc.  

Routine check = 1 year    

Maximum interval between testing = Change of occupancy/5 years

It is to be expected though, it is OTT BS, and even if it were not required now, it will be within the next 5 to 10 years. In fact  I predict the same will be required whenever anyone sells a house within 10 to 20 years, a full electrical inspection and rewiring to the latest regulations (even though it is actually perfectly safe as it is). A fuse box has been considered perfectly safe for a hundred years, but not anymore, because we're all more scared of everything than ever.

That's modern life see, more and more risk aversion, and expecting (and accepting) more and more regulation and draconian diktats and cost (so long as its someone else paying) in order to "keep us safe". The response to Covid - suppressing society for months on end - was an even better example, the world has never ever done that, nor even considered doing it, since homo sapiens first walked the planet 300,000 years ago.

Edited by Chekhov

There shouldn't be, but that is what this implies :

https://www.emelec.co.uk/5-year-electrical-testing-fixed-wire-test/

Residential accommodation (Houses of Multiple Occupation) – halls of residence, nurses accommodation, etc.  

Routine check = 1 year    

Maximum interval between testing = Change of occupancy/5 years

I suggest that you read the Regulations referenced earlier in the thread which will provide an authoritative answer. It seems unwise to believe vague implications from an electrical firm who may have an interest in drumming up business. When did you last have an EICR on your flats, and what did the electrician tell you about the requirements then?

It is to be expected though, it is OTT BS, and even if it were not required now, it will be within the next 5 to 10 years. In fact  I predict the same will be required whenever anyone sells a house within 10 to 20 years, a full electrical inspection and rewiring to the latest regulations (even though it is actually perfectly safe as it is). A fuse box has been considered perfectly safe for a hundred years, but not anymore, because we're all more scared of everything than ever.

That's modern life see, more and more risk aversion, and expecting (and accepting) more and more regulation and draconian diktats and cost (so long as its someone else paying) in order to "keep us safe". 

If it bothers you, why not join or start a campaign to influence what happens, rather than whining about it on a forum?

@ChekhovMost people are accustomed to “upgrades “ of all descriptions whether by choice or by rule changes.

Bigger ,brighter,safer,cheaper or whatever.

Technology changes ever more rapidly and perhaps some things improve modern life..

This must apply to your own particular business.

Back on your favourite subject,advances in technology also produced the vaccine in record time,although some argue that this was of no benefit to mankind.

And as far as I can see a change in tenancy does not require further checks.

It is certificated for the time period.

Edited by RJRB