Modern Life Is Rubbish

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

There shouldn't be, but that is what this implies :

https://www.emelec.co.uk/5-year-electrical-testing-fixed-wire-test/

Residential accommodation (Houses of Multiple Occupation) – halls of residence, nurses accommodation, etc.  

Routine check = 1 year    

Maximum interval between testing = Change of occupancy/5 years

Perhaps if you try searching with an open mind rather than just looking for results that apparently confirm what you already believe...

Because a very simple internet search throws up plenty of more authoritative results which flatly contradict what your electrician has apparently told you; two for starters:

https://www.nrla.org.uk/news/electrical-safety-does-changing-tenants-affect-EICR#:~:text=As change of tenancy is,not be appearing on reports.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities/guide-for-landlords-electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector

2 minutes ago, Carl said:

Perhaps if you try searching with an open mind rather than just looking for results that apparently confirm what you already believe...

Because a very simple internet search throws up plenty of more authoritative results which flatly contradict what your electrician has apparently told you; two for starters:

https://www.nrla.org.uk/news/electrical-safety-does-changing-tenants-affect-EICR#:~:text=As change of tenancy is,not be appearing on reports.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities/guide-for-landlords-electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector

We established during covid he doesn't trust experts

32 minutes ago, Tyke02 said:

I suggest that you read the Regulations referenced earlier in the thread which will provide an authoritative answer. It seems unwise to believe vague implications from an electrical firm who may have an interest in drumming up business. When did you last have an EICR on your flats, and what did the electrician tell you about the requirements then?

If it bothers you, why not join or start a campaign to influence what happens, rather than whining about it on a forum?

"whining on a forum"

A very negative way of putting it, a bit insulting in fact..

The only thing we can all do is try and educate people what is happening, hidden in plain sight.

I did ask my electrician and the change of tenancy stipulation was what he told me about. He's a good sort I cannot think he'd have just made it up. But the deeper point is, as I said, even if it is not required now, it will be sooner or later.

Remember, anything is acceptable to keep us all safe (particularly if someone else is paying for it).

28 minutes ago, RJRB said:

@ChekhovMost people are accustomed to “upgrades “ of all descriptions whether by choice or by rule changes.

Bigger ,brighter, safer, cheaper or whatever.

Technology changes ever more rapidly and perhaps some things improve modern life..

Like I have prophesied more than once, the historical trend, which is accelerating BTW, is sooner or later everything will be banned unless it is specifically allowed "to keep us all safe". It might take another 100 years but it will happen.

I cannot understand why more people cannot see it, maybe they aren't that interested in history and think it is irrelevant. I used to, but I remember my history teacher telling me that history is  a good pointer to the future, and I now know what she meant. 

The best explanation is they can see what is happening but do not object, anything "to keep us all safe".

Edited by Chekhov

Guest sibon

I’m very much enjoying this being restricted in the future idea. Here’s how it goes:

Forum member 1. “Moan, moan, whine whine. Modern world. Health and safety. Disproportionate.”

Forum member 2.  “Actually, that isn’t true. Your information is incorrect. There is nothing to worry about”

Forum member 1. “That’s all very well, but it will be true in 5/10/15 years. It is the trend of history. Moan,  moan, whine whine. Repeat “

Edited by sibon

14 minutes ago, melthebell said:

We established during covid he doesn't trust experts

Who would, some people have short memories...... :

Mid March 2020 : "We could have half a million Covid deaths in the UK"
19 March 2020 : "12 weeks to flatten the curve".

Late March : "This virus is indiscriminate"

May 2020 : "Politicians have become more cautious about immunisation prospects. They are right to be"
November 2020 : "Modelling suggests 4,000 deaths per day worst case scenario".
Spring 2021 : "Get double vaccinated to get out of Covid and back to normal" 
(it actually took a further year).
July 2021 : "Freedom day is irresponsible, we could have 200K cases per day by August".
11 Dec 21 : "Omicron could cause 75,000 deaths in England by end of April"

Dec 21 : "Central estimate" 2890 Omicron deaths a day

15 Dec 21 : "Omicron likely to be the biggest threat of Covid pandemic so far".

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sibon said:

I’m very much enjoying this being restricted in the future idea. Here’s how it goes:

Forum member 1. “Moan, moan, whine whine. Modern world. Health and safety. Disproportionate.”

Forum member 2.  “Actually, that isn’t true. Your information is incorrect. There is nothing to worry about”

Forum member 1. “That’s all very well, but it will be true in 5/10/15 years. It is the trend of history.”

Ahh "Mr PC" Sibon, who will accept anything in order to avoid the possibility someone might get upset (including happily banning all parents photographing their kids school performances on sports days, or three million secondary school pupils having to wear masks at school).

The same Mr PC, being personal.

Hypocrite.

Your information is incorrect. 

The more important point, about a third of a Billion pounds every year getting wasted on largely unnecessary electricians surveys, is correct.

Edited by Chekhov

Guest sibon
1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

Ahh "Mr PC" Sibon, who will accept anything in order to avoid the possibility someone might get upset (including happily banning all parents photographing their kids school performances on sports days, or three million secondary school pupils having to wear masks at school).

The same Mr PC, being personal.

Hypocrite.

Your information is incorrect. 

The more important point, about a third of a Billion pounds every year getting wasted on largely unnecessary electricians surveys, is correct.

It’s nice to be “Mr” today. 

I was getting bored with being “Arch”

Just now, sibon said:

Forum member 1. “That’s all very well, but it will be true in 5/10/15 years. It is the trend of history. Moan,  moan, whine whine. Repeat “

Reminds me of the climate change whiners  :)

50 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

"whining on a forum"

A very negative way of putting it, a bit insulting in fact..

Is it inaccurate? 

The only thing we can all do is try and educate people what is happening, hidden in plain sight.

You won't be doing that very effectively if you confine your activities to posting on a forum without very large numbers of active members, especially when your perspective comes across as pessimistic and fatalistic, and you don't suggest what people should do about it if they agree with you.

I did ask my electrician and the change of tenancy stipulation was what he told me about. He's a good sort I cannot think he'd have just made it up. But the deeper point is, as I said, even if it is not required now, it will be sooner or later.

Did you, as I suggested, ask him for the paragraph number in the Regulations that states the requirement? If he can't cite that, then he doesn't know.

I seem to recall that annual gas safety checks and boiler maintenance have been a requirement for rental property for twenty or twenty five years, but is still just voluntary good practice for owner occupiers. The creeping extension of such requirements to all properties that you fear seems to have been very slow in arriving there. Why are you so sure that such change will be more rapid for electrical systems?