Modern Life Is Rubbish

5 hours ago, Chekhov said:

"whining on a forum"

A very negative way of putting it, a bit insulting in fact..

The only thing we can all do is try and educate people what is happening, hidden in plain sight.

I did ask my electrician and the change of tenancy stipulation was what he told me about. He's a good sort I cannot think he'd have just made it up. But the deeper point is, as I said, even if it is not required now, it will be sooner or later.

Remember, anything is acceptable to keep us all safe (particularly if someone else is paying for it).

Like I have prophesied more than once, the historical trend, which is accelerating BTW, is sooner or later everything will be banned unless it is specifically allowed "to keep us all safe". It might take another 100 years but it will happen.

I cannot understand why more people cannot see it, maybe they aren't that interested in history and think it is irrelevant. I used to, but I remember my history teacher telling me that history is  a good pointer to the future, and I now know what she meant. 

The best explanation is they can see what is happening but do not object, anything "to keep us all safe".

I think that what history tells us is that people who make prophesies are as likely to be wrong as right.

There have been many safety measures introduced over the years which only idiots object to ,whinge about or ignore.

Some may irritate a few people who only care about their own circumstances.

History also shows that our own country has gone through various changes through the decades.

Prim and proper Victorians to the swinging sixties permissiveness.Its never been a continuous trend in one direction.

Check out Oliver Cromwell’s days of austerity........and what followed.

100 years is a long time.Perhaps your house will require re wiring within that period.

But why get in a lather about it now.

One lesson from history.

You cannot change it and nor can anyone predict the future.

So Carpe Diem is the way forward.

Just now, RJRB said:

I think that what history tells us is that people who make prophesies are as likely to be wrong as right.

There have been many safety measures introduced over the years which only idiots object to ,whinge about or ignore.

History also shows that our own country has gone through various changes through the decades.

Prim and proper Victorians to the swinging sixties permissiveness.Its never been a continuous trend in one direction.

100 years is a long time.Perhaps your house will require re wiring within that period.

One lesson from history.

You don't speak for the World.

The cultural moral decay of the West has set in,

Nobody will be conned into fighting for the folks who, lie and bribe to stay in power and  can't or won't balance their books.

And who trade with the enemy.

And most of the World are waiting to take over!Just a question of time. Enjoy it while you can  :)

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Nobody will be conned into fighting for the folks who, lie and bribe to stay in power and  can't or won't balance their books.

And most of the World are waiting to take over!Just a question of time. Enjoy it while you can  :)

I have not got a clue what you are referring to or what you are talking about.

Guest sibon
6 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I have not got a clue what you are referring to or what you are talking about.

That makes two of you 😁

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

Now it’s getting scary , sounds like something from  50 s tv  or the Twighlight Zone . I can hear Rod Serling speaking those words 

Edited by hackey lad

16 hours ago, Tyke02 said:

You won't be doing that very effectively if you confine your activities to posting on a forum without very large numbers of active members, especially when your perspective comes across as pessimistic and fatalistic, and you don't suggest what people should do about it if they agree with you.

I do my best to publicise it, this page on my website gets relatively few visits compared with most of the pothers, but still 200 or so a year :

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/other-stuff/hs-******

The spread of edicts and bans and regulation (to keep us safe" (mainly) is unstoppable anyway. The only way to get away from it is to be 6ft under.

The trend is obvious to anyone who knows anything about history. 

As I say I am just surprised how many people appear to deny it is happening, do they live on the same planet as me ?

Did you, as I suggested, ask him for the paragraph number in the Regulations that states the requirement? If he can't cite that, then he doesn't know.

I sent him that link from the NRLA website, I am interested to hear what he has to say.

I seem to recall that annual gas safety checks and boiler maintenance have been a requirement for rental property for twenty or twenty five years, but is still just voluntary good practice for owner occupiers. The creeping extension of such requirements to all properties that you fear seems to have been very slow in arriving there. Why are you so sure that such change will be more rapid for electrical systems?

I give no time frame but I am sure it will happen because history teaches us it will.

There are hurdles to overcome, what sanction do you put on a home owner for instance ? So the first step will be everyone selling their home will have to have one, just like they have to have an energy performance certificate, which are an even bigger waste of money anyway. Nobody I know would decide if they were going to buy a house on its EPC, nobody.

12 hours ago, RJRB said:

One lesson from history.

I am certain I am right.

The inescapable trend is more regulation "to keep us safe", who can deny that has true ?

And, bearing in mind it has been going on for about 150 years, and is actually accelerating (pandemic......), only a fool would deny it. In fact it's got so bad now that people calling for a proportionate attitude towards personal risk, which includes personal responsibility, are labelled selfish by some people who cannot see they are being equally, if not more, selfish by telling others how to live their lives.

Just now, Chekhov said:

I am certain I am right.

The inescapable trend is more regulation "to keep us safe", who can deny that has true ?

And, bearing in mind it has been going on for about 150 years, and is actually accelerating (pandemic......), only a fool would deny it. In fact it's got so bad now that people calling for a proportionate attitude towards personal risk, which includes personal responsibility, are labelled selfish by some people who cannot see they are being equally, if not more, selfish by telling others how to live their lives.

While it's a noble sentiment, it's also a losing one in some "enlightened"pockets of the World.

There's no disputing that some unfortunates among us, do not have the health or mentality to direct their own lives, and require help and assistance from their communities.

But there are also a lot people, who prefer the safety of the crowd, and approval from their peers, over their individual freedoms.

They are actually happy to let their "betters"and "powers that be" deal with all of life's risks and rewards. They reserve their criticism for those who advocate personal responsibility, and accountability from the  new bureaucratic ruling class.

They are happy in their protected cocoons. But it's all on borrowed money. And time!

Human nature!  :)

Edited by trastrick

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

The spread of edicts and bans and regulation (to keep us safe" (mainly) is unstoppable anyway. The only way to get away from it is to be 6ft under.

The trend is obvious to anyone who knows anything about history. 

As I say I am just surprised how many people appear to deny it is happening, do they live on the same planet as me ?

I find it surprising that somebody so invested in their point of view  can be so defeatist. The legislative process includes some checks and balances, for example before the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 came in there was a consultation (that included individual landlords and landlord organisations) regarding the proposals before they were implemented. That sort of activity does give you the opportunity to have your say, if you are switched on enough to know what is going on.

A narrative that everything is awful and it will inevitably get worse is unlikely to change anything, and tends to come across as a litany of complaints. How about taking a more positive approach, for example campaigning for a requirement for proposals for new regulations to be supported by cost benefit analysis? I suspect you would find much wider support for that.

Edited by Tyke02