Modern Life Is Rubbish

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I just booked another day at the same sports camp, i.e. the same payee, the day after, and for a poxy £17, and the soddin' RBS insisted on sending me another One Time Passcode ! What kind of ballcox is this when they're quite happy to give me a contactless card where anyone can tap out with £100 of my money (or the bank's money) at Gawd knows how many shops, "no questions asked", or indeed not even a pin code ? ! ?

Could you pay by credit card?  Mine allows me to designate specific suppliers as "trusted" so that repeat authentication is not required.

I think you said you don't want a smartphone, however having one would allow you to:

- receive SMS over wifi for one time codes in poor reception areas

- have the capability to switch contactless card payments on and off if you might use them occasionally, to maintain your desired security

- alternatively make contactless payments from your account using your phone which can be secured by PIN code or fingerprint scanner if you wish

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

The government needs to control the free flow of cash through the economy. Your banking and credit purchases provide a profile of your personal income and expenditures.

Let's hope the U.K. does not opt for the mass audits of the U.S. IRS. In an unprecedented move,they've just doubled the number of tax auditors.

86,852 NEW IRS EMPLOYEES

" You've probably heard Republicans say the Inflation Reduction Act, the massive spending bill just passed by Senate Democrats, includes provisions to hire 87,000 new IRS agents. The number seems too big to believe. The IRS has just 93,654 employees, according to the Office of Personnel Management. Why would Congress, in one bill, increase the IRS workforce by something like 92%? It doesn't seem possible. It certainly doesn't seem wise".

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/86-852-new-irs-employees

It's not surprising that a conservative publication disagrees with checking that people pay the tax they owe it but why to you seem to think it is a bad thing?

1 hour ago, altus said:

It's not surprising that a conservative publication disagrees with checking that people pay the tax they owe it but why to you seem to think it is a bad thing?

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/3594128-what-an-80b-funding-boost-to-the-irs-could-mean-for-taxpayers/

It isn't, if you have a basic understanding of the issues. :roll:

Underfunded for years, while being given more duties, leading to a massive backlog in processing returns and a huge skew to the investigations for budgetary reasons.

Edited by Magilla

12 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Have you ever stopped to think that for some people life is GENUINELY rubbish? People who don’t know where their next meal is coming from, who have serious illnesses, families living through wars,  people who have nothing and no one.

Instead of moaning about not being able to watch your kid have a swimming lesson, you should be thankful that he’s having them.

Instead of being so self entitled about absolutely everything, try thinking yourself lucky that you live in the country that you do, where we have so many freedoms and privileges.

Things could be an awful lot worse, believe me. Lighten up. Try to enjoy the short life you have, make the most of it, instead of picking fault and complaining about every single thing.

Bloody hell. Spot on.

Close the thread!

1 hour ago, nikki-red said:

Have you ever stopped to think that for some people life is GENUINELY rubbish? People who don’t know where their next meal is coming from, who have serious illnesses, families living through wars,  people who have nothing and no one.

Instead of moaning about not being able to watch your kid have a swimming lesson, you should be thankful that he’s having them.

Instead of being so self entitled about absolutely everything, try thinking yourself lucky that you live in the country that you do, where we have so many freedoms and privileges.

Things could be an awful lot worse, believe me. Lighten up. Try to enjoy the short life you have, make the most of it, instead of picking fault and complaining about every single thing.

Hear !  Hear !    :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, nikki-red said:

I could not disagree with you more. 

It is always possible to find someone worse off than yourself, so if you take your argument to its logical conclusion you would never complain about anything, e.g. if I were diagnosed with cancer and given two years you could argue "well some people have been diagnosed with cancer and only been given three months (so don't complain about it)". 

Thus, your point is, well, err, pointless.

>>try thinking yourself lucky that you live in the country that you do, where we have so many freedoms and privileges.<<

Bearing in mind the draconian restrictions we were under (to a greater or lesser extent) for nearly two years, this is a joke, right ?

As an example, I still cannot believe I was banned from swimming for nearly 8 months, I know it happened, but I find it difficult to believe it did actually happen. And, even worse, it may happen again (judging by the stuff some people come out with on here and other places), and, according to you, neither I nor anyone else should complain about it.

Get lost.

Edited by Chekhov

13 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I could not disagree with you more. 

It is always possible to find someone worse off than yourself, so if you take your argument to its logical conclusion you would never complain about anything, e.g. if I were diagnosed with cancer and given two years you could argue "well some people have been diagnosed with cancer and only been given three months (so don't complain about it)". 

Thus, your point is, well, err, pointless.

>>try thinking yourself lucky that you live in the country that you do, where we have so many freedoms and privileges.<<

Bearing in mind the draconian restrictions we were under (to a greater or lesser extent) for nearly two years, this is a joke, right ?

As an example, I still cannot believe I was banned from swimming for nearly 8 months, I know it happened, but I find it difficult to believe it did actually happen. And, even worse, it may happen again (judging by the stuff some people come out with on here and other places), and, according to you, neither I nor anyone else should complain about it.

Get lost.

That's a terrible way to end a post, and very rude......