Modern Life Is Rubbish

3 hours ago, sibon said:

I don’t think that I’ve ever argued that driving isn’t risky. Good drivers are fairly safe though. You certainly over-estimate the dangers of driving. Probably linked to your clearly limited skills in that area.

>>Probably linked to your clearly limited skills in that area.<<

I have not had an accident (parking excepted) since 1991, so, again you are talking with no evidence and ending up coming out with pure Ballcox .

>>You certainly over-estimate the dangers of driving<<

No, YOU underestimate the risk from driving, and overestimate many (most ? ) other risks.

I can tell you one thing for an absolute certainty, kids are at far greater risk of death or serious injury from cars than they are from people requiring DBS checks to work with them. 

I recommend you study risk probability. But, I find it hard to believe anyone has such a poor grasp of risk probability, and therefore I suspect you are actually just trolling. 

Edited by Chekhov

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

How ****ing arrogant is that ? ! ?

You are funny😁

Maybe you could write us a list of all the professions that you know better than.

That way, we can all defer to your superior knowledge and understanding.

Just now, sibon said:

You are funny😁

Maybe you could write us a list of all the professions that you know better than.

That way, we can all defer to your superior knowledge and understanding.

No, anyone who thinks kids are at more risk from people requiring DBS checks than they are from car accidents is funny. I mean funny pathetic obviously.

One thing is for certain, I know much more about risk probability than you do as your posts prove time and time again.

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

No, anyone who thinks kids are at more risk from people requiring DBS checks than they are from car accidents is funny. I mean funny pathetic obviously.

One thing is for certain, I know much more about risk probability than you do as your posts prove time and time again.

You clearly understand little about child protection.

That’s quite obvious. 

Now, that list please.

4 hours ago, sibon said:

You clearly understand little about child protection.

That’s quite obvious. 

Now, that list please.

I'm sure you know little about the various risks to kids if you think a child is at more risk from a Paedo as they are from a car accident.

That is very obvious.

What list are you going on about ?

4 hours ago, sibon said:

Oh I thought you were being sarcastic.

The experts you place so much faith in "do not question people who know more than you", that's more or less what you said. Why bother voting BTW ?

Let's go with Covid, what the experts said (and I, and many others, disagreed with them every time). To be fair the toss of a coin would have been more accurate than the Covid experts (the ones the government were listening to at any rate). :

Mid March 2020 : "We could have half a million Covid deaths in the UK"
19 March 2020 : "12 weeks to flatten the curve".
Late March 2020 : "This virus is indiscriminate"
May 2020 : "Politicians have become more cautious about immunisation prospects. They are right to be"
November 2020 : "Modelling suggests 4,000 deaths per day in the worst case scenario".
Spring 2021 : "Get double vaccinated to get out of Covid and back to normal" (it actually took a further year).
July 2021 : "Freedom day is irresponsible, we could have 200K cases per day by August".
11 Dec 2021 : "Omicron could cause 75,000 deaths in England by end of April"
Dec 2021 : "Central estimate" 2890 Omicron deaths a day
15 Dec 2021 : "Omicron likely to be the biggest threat of Covid pandemic so far".

Edited by Chekhov

21 hours ago, Chekhov said:

How many babies or  toddlers die or are injured in a car crash.

How much do parents have to pay for cot restraints and children’s car seats.

Not every thing can be reduced to a mathematical formula.

Good News ! ! !

Bearing in mind that much of this H&S overkill suffocating our lives is related to organisations trying to cover their backs (even if they actually think it is ludicrous), this has to be wonderful news :

The Times Mon 23 Jan 23 (p2)

"Compensation culture" takes a hit as claims fall

Britain's "compensation culture" appears to be on the wane with nearly half of the public shunning the idea of making a [compensation] claim.

Numbers [making a claim] were expected to bounce back last year as Covid restrictions were removed but the analysis suggests the number of claims actually fell again, to under half a million. In 2019 there were more than 840,000 claims.

The National Accident Helpline........commissioned a survey of 2000 people which found that nearly half of respondents thought there was  a stigma associated with compensation.

The last sentence is possibly the most positive aspect of a very positive story.  

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Good News ! ! !

Bearing in mind that much of this H&S overkill suffocating our lives is related to organisations trying to cover their backs (even if they actually think it is ludicrous), this has to be wonderful news :

The Times Mon 23 Jan 23 (p2)

"Compensation culture" takes a hit as claims fall

Britain's "compensation culture" appears to be on the wane with nearly half of the public shunning the idea of making a [compensation] claim.

Numbers [making a claim] were expected to bounce back last year as Covid restrictions were removed but the analysis suggests the number of claims actually fell again, to under half a million. In 2019 there were more than 840,000 claims.

The National Accident Helpline........commissioned a survey of 2000 people which found that nearly half of respondents thought there was  a stigma associated with compensation.

The last sentence is possibly the most positive aspect of a very positive story.

I wouldn't get too excited.  As someone whose  worked in both sides of the industry for over 20 years, I have heard it all before and will believe it when I see it.

Also not convinced that one survey conducted by some claims management company is going to be the most accurate picture.  People can 'say' what they like.  They can portray that they are above that sort of thing. They can claim that they wouldn't demean themselves.  Everyone seems to dislike lawyers until the time comes when they need one.

Fact is the claimant firms will always find some way to aggressively market something. When recession hits, people will always suddenly backtrack on their 'principles' and have an excuse to pursue a claim and try get a bit of money in.

Way back in the day, reforms to the civil procedure, were going to revolutionise the personal injury market. The claims still flowed through.  The collapse of The Accident Group was going to bring an end to all those spurious heavily marketed pressurised claims pursuits. But they kept on coming.  The changes to the costs regime limiting how much claim firms could earn were going to bring a slow down but the claimant firms simply ditched whiplash and supermarket slips for more lucrative areas like consumer complaints, group litigation, PPI mis-selling, cavity wall mis-selling, occupational disease, data breaches and vehicle emissions....

There is still big money to be made and for those effective firms who keep ahead of the curve they will not be giving it up without a fight.  

Edited by ECCOnoob