Modern Life Is Rubbish

15 hours ago, RJRB said:

World leaders need their R&R like everyone else.

Johnson liked a party and Trump had 150 days golfing during his term in office.

Who would begrudge them a little social life?

Obviously enough folks to boot them out of office!  :)

On 03/07/2023 at 04:45, trastrick said:

Who would begrudge them a little social life?

You point above about begrudging, came up in a conversation I had yesterday, in the context of illegal immigration, and asylum policies.

He was making the point that 'who will do the menial jobs that "our people" refuse to take, if we shut the door'?

That seems like a very condescending colonial view of humans who are living lives of desperation, in dire straights. Sounds a bit racist, too.

Slavery has been with us since humans left the trees, and today's version of slavery is carried on in sculleries and salons of mansions, and the kitchens of fast food restaurants.

These people who come in to do the heavy lifting, one day will look at their native overseers, and say, why me?

As citizens, they'll demand their piece of the pie, and in sufficient numbers will change the political dynamic, to where they start to run the show. They won't be content forever to clean your toilets and slave in the fields picking your fruit and veg.

Mayors and Prime Ministers, will be all colors of the rainbow, with "foreign" sounding names, and over a relatively short period of time, they will impose their own values, and religions on your society.

It happened in Egypt, when the Greeks came in, to the Greeks, when the Romans came in, and to Rome when they let everybody in. It's happening today, in England, and America.

History repeats.

Get used to it!

Edited by trastrick

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

You point above about begrudging, came up in a conversation I had yesterday, in the context of illegal immigration, and asylum policies.

He was making the point that 'who will do the menial jobs that citizens refuse to take, if we shut the door'?

That seems like a very condescending colonial view of humans who are living lives of desperation, in dire straights.

Slavery has been with us since humans left the trees, and today's version of slavery is carried on in sculleries and salons of mansions, and the kitchens of fast food restaurants.

These people who come in to do the heavy lifting, one day will look at their native overseers, and say, why me?

As citizens, they'll demand their piece of the pie, and in sufficient numbers will change the political dynamic, to where they start to run the show. They won't be content forever to clean your toilets and slave in the fields picking your fruit and veg.

Mayors and Prime Ministers, will be all colors of the rainbow, with "foreign" sounding names, and over a relatively short period of time, they will impose their own values, and religions on your society.

It happened in Egypt, when the Greeks came in, to the Greeks, when the Romans came in, and to Rome when they let everybody in.

History repeats.

Get used to it!

You do witter on.

All that writing and yet, nothing in the post tells anyone what the post is about and also what the conclusion is  except "get used to it"

Get used to what ???????             Modern life being rubbish ?

Edited by Organgrinder

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

He was making the point that 'who will do the menial jobs that "our people" refuse to take, if we shut the door'?

That seems like a very condescending colonial view of humans who are living lives of desperation, in dire straights. Sounds a bit racist, too.

It happened in Egypt, when the Greeks came in, to the Greeks, when the Romans came in, and to Rome when they let everybody in. It's happening today, in England, and America.

History repeats.

Get used to it!

Fun story 

5 hours ago, trastrick said:

Get used to it!

I am not sure who you are addressing or what point you are trying to make.

Slavery and /or the aspiration of millions has resulted in the migration of millions over the years.

Some of them or their descendants have risen from menial work to positions of authority,wealth and power.

Its just a fact of life

20 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

You do witter on.

All that writing and yet, nothing in the post tells anyone what the post is about and also what the conclusion is  except "get used to it"

Get used to what ???????             Modern life being rubbish ?

Another dizzying 180, from our Master of 'you can't do anything about it in a democracy, so stop whining' :)

15 hours ago, RJRB said:

I am not sure who you are addressing or what point you are trying to make.

Slavery and /or the aspiration of millions has resulted in the migration of millions over the years.

Some of them or their descendants have risen from menial work to positions of authority,wealth and power.

Its just a fact of life

Just a comment on life, and change.

And I'm well aware of the possibilities of changing one's status in life.

First it depends on not accepting the role, self appointed elites, would pigeon hole you in!  :)

18 hours ago, Delayed said:

Fun story 

Don't look now, but it's happening as we speak!  :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am due to have an op on my hand in a few days so wanted to stock up on Ibuprofen and Paracetamol, plus I needed some more Asprin (I take half a tablet a day as a supplement).

Unfortunately the shop would only let me buy two packs in total "because it's the law". He was right and I do not blame the checkout chap, but surely that is a classic modern disproportionate overcautious regulation ? 

If I were desperate to top my self using pain killers then  having to go on more than one shop to buy the necessary pills would hardly put me off would it ? ! ? So all it does is inconvenience millions of people for very little result.

But, of course, we enter the realm of what is disproportionate ? Some people may actually think that if that regulation saves one life a year it's worth the other 60 million people being inconvenienced....

And I am pretty sure if anyone does think that they also approved of us all being forced to stay at home,  wear masks and get vaccinated during Covid.....

Edited by Chekhov