Modern Life Is Rubbish

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I wondered that too, hence my cryptic post above yours.

I agree with Anna but, unfortunately, I also understand that many controls are an effort to save us from ourselves.

Being older than the average poster,  I can see so many differences in life today compared with what it used to be.

I used to ride my bikes and my motor bikes without wearing protective helmets and there were far fewer speed restrictions on roads,  far fewer pedestrian crossings and traffic lights.

There were very few safety laws and I have been on roofs without even the proper ladders. Safety jackets hadn't been invented and we would have laughed at anyone who said you must wear that to work.

There were no rules about GP's surgeries   -   if you felt a bit off,  you just went to the doctors before you went to work.  No need for appointments,  you just walked in and sat down.

If you wanted a chest x-ray,  you just walked in the X-ray centre and they would do it.  Unless you passed 11 plus to go to grammar school, there were no school uniforms to bother about.

There were no seat belts on cars,  no MOT,  and there were no breathalysers  -  if you could walk a straight line,  it didn't matter if you had been drinking.

Many things have been changed with controls placed on what we're allowed to do and more keep being added all the time so yes,  Anna is right.

Some of the old dafter rules have been removed such as shops opening hours etc but, in general, life is now more restricted.

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I agree with Anna but, unfortunately, I also understand that many controls are an effort to save us from ourselves.

Being older than the average poster,  I can see so many differences in life today compared with what it used to be.

I used to ride my bikes and my motor bikes without wearing protective helmets and there were far fewer speed restrictions on roads,  far fewer pedestrian crossings and traffic lights.

There were very few safety laws and I have been on roofs without even the proper ladders. Safety jackets hadn't been invented and we would have laughed at anyone who said you must wear that to work.

There were no rules about GP's surgeries   -   if you felt a bit off,  you just went to the doctors before you went to work.  No need for appointments,  you just walked in and sat down.

If you wanted a chest x-ray,  you just walked in the X-ray centre and they would do it.  Unless you passed 11 plus to go to grammar school, there were no school uniforms to bother about.

There were no seat belts on cars,  no MOT,  and there were no breathalysers  -  if you could walk a straight line,  it didn't matter if you had been drinking.

Many things have been changed with controls placed on what we're allowed to do and more keep being added all the time so yes,  Anna is right.

Some of the old dafter rules have been removed such as shops opening hours etc but, in general, life is now more restricted.

See your points, but back in the days you are talking about - and in my younger days, there was much less traffic about, you were generally in vehicles/on bikes which were incapable of achieving today's speeds.

When I started work in 1973, in a very large steelworks, safety boots/hearing protection was not mandatory, although it was available - and I took advantage of it, for my own safety - many others didn't bother, and some paid the price. Flame/heat-proof jackets were issued and strongly advised in certain areas, and available in others.

The NHS bits I won't comment on - that is a totally different question.

MOTs were introduced in 1960 - 63  years ago.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

See your points, but back in the days you are talking about - and in my younger days, there was much less traffic about, you were generally in vehicles/on bikes which were incapable of achieving today's speeds.

When I started work in 1973, in a very large steelworks, safety boots/hearing protection was not mandatory, although it was available - and I took advantage of it, for my own safety - many others didn't bother, and some paid the price. Flame/heat-proof jackets were issued and strongly advised in certain areas, and available in others.

The NHS bits I won't comment on - that is a totally different question.

MOTs were introduced in 1960 - 63  years ago.

Quite so.  I used to walk through Firth Browns castings shop every day for a couple of years and a lot of the blokes used no safety gear at all.

The NHS was very easy going.  If you needed looking at, you could go straight to hospital without a doctors first and just sit down.  never had to wait long either.

We were very upset about MOT's,  although some of the cars we drove were death traps.  It was less strict than it is now.  Thought it was a bit later than that but I accept your date.

We played hell about seat belts too although I wouldn't drive without one now.

Edited by Organgrinder

1 hour ago, Zinger549 said:

What part of your life is being restricted?

Public Space Protection order garbage, making it illegal to climb a tree, nap in public, have some prosecco on a bench on a sunny day with a picnic, feed pigeons. 

Then there is the CAZ which restricts vans, buses and lorries from driving around the city. The "lockdowns", the 15 minute cities, the push for digital dependency (look what Coutts did to parliment member Farage), cashless society pushes, forced mask wearing in recent years, forced movement tracing, known as "track and trace". I could continue. 

7 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Quite so.  I used to walk through Firth Browns castings shop every day for a couple of years and O lot of the blokes used no safety gear at all.

The NHS was very easy going.  If you needed looking at, you could go straight to hospital without a doctors first and just sit down.  never had to wait long either.

We were very upset about MOT's,  although some of the cars we drove were death traps.  It was less strict than it is now.  Thought it was a bit later than that but I accept your date.

We played hell about seat belts too although I wouldn't drive without one now.

Four or five years back, my cat bit me and the wound became infected. I went direct to the NGH A&E department, without seeing a doctor, and was admitted straight away, operated on the same evening and out the next day.

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Public Space Protection order garbage, making it illegal to climb a tree, nap in public, have some prosecco on a bench on a sunny day with a picnic, feed pigeons. 

Then there is the CAZ which restricts vans, buses and lorries from driving around the city. The "lockdowns", the 15 minute cities, the push for digital dependency (look what Coutts did to parliment member Farage), cashless society pushes, forced mask wearing in recent years, forced movement tracing, known as "track and trace". I could continue. 

Don't bother - some of that is garbage, some if it is typical conspiracy theory.