Modern Life Is Rubbish

46 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

What annoys me is those born after the year 2000 and the way they type. They abbreviate whole phrases! For example, "not going to lie" becomes "NGL" and "shake my head" becomes"SMH". I then have to guess what they mean, not got lettuce? Smash my house?

Doesnt wind me up as much as people who type in an accent though, that makes no sense whatsoever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Are you sure? You're quite happy to pretend to be an expert in armchair statistics, and armchair virology. Lets add armchair mechanical engineering to your portfolio.

It was not hard to be more accurate in ones predictions (when it came to Covid) than the "experts". The toss of a coin would, quite literally, have been more accurate.

When it comes to what escalators can or cannot do, I'm sure the experts will be right pretty much 100% of the time.....

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

It was not hard to be more accurate in ones predictions (when it came to Covid) than the "experts". The toss of a coin would, quite literally, have been more accurate.

When it comes to what escalators can or cannot do, I'm sure the experts will be right pretty much 100% of the time.....

More complex to run an escalator down, than up, needs more complex electrical control equipment (basically because it runs away if loaded with passengers, the motors act as generators and you need to get rid of that electrical energy). So an up escalator might not have the same equipment as a down escalator. You're welcome 😀

Edited by Bargepole23

37 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

More complex to run an escalator down, than up, needs more complex electrical control equipment (basically because it runs away if loaded with passengers, the motors act as generators and you need to get rid of that electrical energy). So an up escalator might not have the same equipment as a down escalator. You're welcome 😀

Do you know that for a fact or have you just made it up ?

11 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

>>Chekhov said: Do you know that for a fact or have you just made it up ?<<

I know it for a fact, design and commissioning of industrial electrical drive systems used to be part of my day job.

Fair enough then, as I said, I am not an expert in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Was having a look at the new improved Norfolk Park playground.  It's no wonder kids these days grow up to be such namby pamby weaklings.  I remember that playground when it had a massive slide, swings with heavy hardwood seats and metal chains, and a roundabout that would ping kids off like peas in an open centrifuge if they didn't cling on tight enough.  A proper playground.

Then for the hard kids of Park Hill you didn't just have stony concrete to fall on; the equipment was made of concrete.  Look at this.  That slide?  Concrete.  This maze thing and another slide? Concrete.  And we didn't have safety barriers to prevent us falling off things; we laughed in the face of 20ft drops and dangled from them.

None of this health and safety bark chips and grass and cushioned floor tiles.  Proper playgrounds for proper kids.

13 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Was having a look at the new improved Norfolk Park playground.  It's no wonder kids these days grow up to be such namby pamby weaklings.  I remember that playground when it had a massive slide, swings with heavy hardwood seats and metal chains, and a roundabout that would ping kids off like peas in an open centrifuge if they didn't cling on tight enough.  A proper playground.

Then for the hard kids of Park Hill you didn't just have stony concrete to fall on; the equipment was made of concrete.  Look at this.  That slide?  Concrete.  This maze thing and another slide? Concrete.  And we didn't have safety barriers to prevent us falling off things; we laughed in the face of 20ft drops and dangled from them.

None of this health and safety bark chips and grass and cushioned floor tiles.  Proper playgrounds for proper kids.

They should run a train line through that playground. An electrified one.

• Haha 1