Modern Life Is Rubbish

13 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

They should run a train line through that playground. An electrified one.

With trains with windows that you can shove down and stick your head out of.

18 hours ago, Hecate said:

Was having a look at the new improved Norfolk Park playground.  It's no wonder kids these days grow up to be such namby pamby weaklings.  I remember that playground when it had a massive slide, swings with heavy hardwood seats and metal chains, and a roundabout that would ping kids off like peas in an open centrifuge if they didn't cling on tight enough.  A proper playground.

Then for the hard kids of Park Hill you didn't just have stony concrete to fall on; the equipment was made of concrete.  Look at this.  That slide?  Concrete.  This maze thing and another slide? Concrete.  And we didn't have safety barriers to prevent us falling off things; we laughed in the face of 20ft drops and dangled from them.

None of this health and safety bark chips and grass and cushioned floor tiles.  Proper playgrounds for proper kids.

I'll play along.

I disagree with you.

It's a matter of risk probability.

I have always said I don't mind my lad doing something where he might get injured, but I draw the line at him doing something where he might get killed.

And falls are, statistically speaking, dangerous (unlike Covid to most of the UK population, and defn to kids, even though I was banned from SF in Apr2020  for stating that fact).

Similarly kids are at no significant risk from being filmed in a school function nor whilst swimming in a gala. Incidentally, on the subject of the latter, I was at a gala at Leeds today, and there was no problem using cameras there, nor, the other parents told me, is there any problem at almost all pools. It's just certain pools, like Stocksbridge, which, in my view, should actually be relocated to Pyongyang, along with it's pathetically weak virtue signalling management. 

Edited by Chekhov
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I'll play along.

I disagree with you.

It's a matter of risk probability.

I have always said I don't mind my lad doing something where he might get injured, but I draw the line at him doing something where he might get killed.

And falls are, statistically speaking, dangerous (unlike Covid to most of the UK population, and defn to kids, even though I was banned from SF in Apr2020  for stating that fact).

Similarly kids are at no significant risk from being filmed in a school function nor at a swimming in a gala. Incidentally, on the subject of the latter, I was at a gala at Leeds today, and there was no problem using cameras there, nor, the other parents told me, is there any problem at almost all pools. It's just certain pools, like Stocksbridge, which, in my view, should actually be relocated to Pyongyang, along with it's patheticaly weak virtue signalling management. 

You really can't help yourself ,can you ?

• Haha 1

Does anyone remember 'Adventure Playgrounds?' 

I thought they were great. Mainly made out of wood and junk, and much more unstructured than current playgrounds, they had things to climb and challenge children like steep slopes, rope bridges and walkways. They were designed so that kids could use their imagination and make things for themselves like dens. 

I assume the reason they died out was because they would now probably be classed as dangerous.  Does anyone know if there are any left in Sheffield?

• Like 1

Anyone remember woods?

You could climb 50 feet up one tree, jump across to an adjacent tree, and climb down that one. Or sling a rope over a branch and swing out over a big deep river. You could play Russian roulette by eating various brightly coloured berries that no-one knew the name of. Chop em down I say!

They should bring back Rickets.

All these kids today with wokey ”proper bones”. They should stick them in caves for years on end to keep them away from the left wing sunlight.

All those dairy products and oily fish should go in the bin too.  All left wing nonsense. 

Chips, that’s what they need. And darkness.

1 hour ago, Palomar said:

Anyone remember woods?

You could climb 50 feet up one tree, jump across to an adjacent tree, and climb down that one. Or sling a rope over a branch and swing out over a big deep river. You could play Russian roulette by eating various brightly coloured berries that no-one knew the name of. Chop em down I say!

Ah yes, happy days...

Can't beat romping about in a wood with your mates. You'd go out to play after breakfast and not come back till tea time and no one batted an eyelid.  

Sad that kids don't do it any more for various reasons. Is it parents that have turned this generation into snowflakes? 

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Ah yes, happy days...

Can't beat romping about in a wood with your mates. You'd go out to play after breakfast and not come back till tea time and no one batted an eyelid.  

Sad that kids don't do it any more for various reasons. Is it parents that have turned this generation into snowflakes? 

No, they were bred as such.  It's ever since our nation's flag was seen as something other than its true representation.   It's ever since memberships of cadet forces,  or voluntary uniformed services started dwindling.  It's ever since Youth Clubs started to close.  It's ever since the advent of the internet on mobile devices, where our children and grandchildren spend all day (and sometimes most of the night) staring at nonsense and drivel, damaging their eyesight and addling their brains with it!  I suppose, it's called progress?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Prettytom said:

They should bring back Rickets.

All these kids today with wokey ”proper bones”. They should stick them in caves for years on end to keep them away from the left wing sunlight.

All those dairy products and oily fish should go in the bin too.  All left wing nonsense. 

Chips, that’s what they need. And darkness.

And a good leathering.

The West is turning children into gibbering wrecks. 

When the UK is invaded by some nutters in about 20-30 years, the fighting generation will just accept it because they will be too busy complaining about the uniform being the wrong colour and protesting about the nutters not having enough food and shelter whilst they slaughter folk.

Edited by Al Bundy
  • Like 2