Modern Life Is Rubbish

5 hours ago, Chekhov said:

>>Back in the 70s they didn't do school trips<<

Err, yes they did.

3 hours ago, Hecate said:

All that is what you did and what you enjoyed forty-odd years ago, coupled with your usual obsessions (like hanging your head out of train windows and playing on the train tracks).  Do you  remember the public information films of the 70s, by the way?  The ones that warned kids not to do daft things like that?

It's slightly off topic, but reminded me, because in the last few weeks I've been digitising my photos...

When I was 13... 13!! School took us to France for 1 day (what a waste of time). We got off the ferry at abuot 10am, and the teachers said be back here for 4pm (or whatever) or you'll miss the ferry home. 

:hihi:

Me and my friend walking around Bolougne on our own at that age. I didn't appreciate the freedom then, but my goodness, I wouldn't allow this for my child! :hihi: (ignorance is bliss, I'm not sure if my parents knew this was what happened)

5 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

It's slightly off topic, but reminded me, because in the last few weeks I've been digitising my photos...

When I was 13... 13!! School took us to France for 1 day (what a waste of time). We got off the ferry at abuot 10am, and the teachers said be back here for 4pm (or whatever) or you'll miss the ferry home. 

Me and my friend walking around Bolougne on our own at that age. I didn't appreciate the freedom then, but my goodness, I wouldn't allow this for my child! :hihi: (ignorance is bliss, I'm not sure if my parents knew this was what happened)

Boulogne is a lovely place. Especially the old town.

That trip sounds like a thinly veiled excuse for a staff booze cruise. 

2 hours ago, L00b said:

🍿🔥🤣

Ha!  But no.  I have all the maternal instinct of Joan Crawford.  I just wondered how he'd managed to infer an outlook on parenting from my post, apart from the bit about not taking away the poor lad's computer games.

Just now, sibon said:

Boulogne is a lovely place. Especially the old town.

That trip sounds like a thinly veiled excuse for a staff booze cruise. 

Non-bold, I can't remember much, other than eating lots of cakes. But I bought a copy of LeMonde, and still got it. :D

Bold: So true. Mind you, I had no alcohol and the coach journey (both ways) was the best lesson I ever had from the day. I'll never take a coach journey again. :hihi: I can't imagine how ill the drunk teachers felt. 

8 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I think you must have gone to my school.  Same day trip to Boulogne but - and here's the cunning bit - we got the coach down to the ferry port from Sheff the night before and arrived earlyish in the morning.  We were all knackered, but we got the full day wandering round (an extremely rainy) Boulogne on our own.  Same instruction to meet up at whatever time it was in the afternoon.  Think I was 14 though.  So that was fine.

None of us knew any French, though now I come to think of it I can't recall talking to any French folk.  Must have done a lot of pointing at stuff. 

50 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I think you must have gone to my school.  Same day trip to Boulogne but - and here's the cunning bit - we got the coach down to the ferry port from Sheff the night before and arrived earlyish in the morning.  We were all knackered, but we got the full day wandering round (an extremely rainy) Boulogne on our own.  Same instruction to meet up at whatever time it was in the afternoon.  Think I was 14 though.  So that was fine.

None of us knew any French, though now I come to think of it I can't recall talking to any French folk.  Must have done a lot of pointing at stuff. 

Sounds identical. I can't remember when we set off, but the coach was stuck in traffic for hours and we nearly missed the ferry.

I bet the teachers were cacking themselves that they wouldn't get to the hypermarkets for beer and wine! :hihi:

16 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

At 13 ?  And I assume you were not on your own ? So why not ?

And I disagree with you anyway, it's not off topic, it's completely on topic.