Modern Life Is Rubbish

9 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

>>Travelled as a guinea-pig on this train between Preston and Lancaster( the full round trip to Penrith was pulled due to the tilt failing) on the day before the ill-fated journalists trip.<<

Now that does sound interesting. 

>>1978 built Class 370 APT-P. Never entered commercial service and was never intended to. It was a prototype.<<

It was supposed to be in revenue earning service though wasn't it ?

Good point, I agree with you, we would all have so much more time if we didn't feel we had to waste so much of it arguing on forums.

Dont do it then 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

My point is I do not like the modern world, too many over cautious people ruining people's fun and adventure for no good reason.

7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

HSTs, 125mph, still teh max speed on British Railways, had opening drop lights above the doors.

Now, even 25mph heritage trains cannot have opening windows if they are big enough to put your head through.

Ludicrous.

You are still getting the heritage train thing wrong.

The regulations apply only to trains TOC's and charters operating older stock on the mainlines.

The same report strongly recommends that heritage railways with heritage stock do full risk assessments so that they can identify potential hazards. Some railways have always had a locked window' and or door policy.

You also have clearly forgotten that the APT was a project to build a brand new train using all the most advanced technologies available globally with a 155 mph speed. The HST was designed as a 125 mph to use current BR technology.

The UK max speed is 140 mph on Southeastern Javelin on track operated, maintained and renewed by Network Rail High Speed a wholly owned subsidiary of Network Rail.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Difference is easy, the one on the left never carried fare paying passengers in regular service*.

As a prototype the layout was to 'show off' and to impress-not to provide essential seating for long distance travel.

Extra seating was provided by only having two power-operated sliding-plug doors(no drop windows) to each coach.

To enable high speed there were no opening windows.

To enable quiet journeys these electric trains had no opening windows.

To enable a comfortable environment there were no opening windows.

To enable tilting and high speed, part of the weight reducing plan was for lightweight seats.

As an example of future rail transport there were no opening windows. At the time the seat designers would have needed as yet undeveloped materials to provide safe seating.

On the right is the type of seating found on 22x trains which so successfully protected the passengers on the 95 mph derailment at Grayrigg in 2007. These old designs are being replaced on all modern reains (and aircraft) which you will see on the EMR 810's next year. 

If your point was to prove something please tell. 

Travelled as a guinea-pig on this train between Preston and Lancaster( the full round trip to Penrith was pulled due to the tilt failing) on the day before the ill-fated journalists trip.

*Left:  1978 built Class 370 APT-P. Never entered commercial service and was never intended to. It was a prototype.

As for "Had loads of fun getting pennies squashed on the railway lines, it was safe enough (as safe as crossing the road anyway) but these days I hate to think what Ms Bynnol would have to say about that now, she'd have a fit and probably report us to the Cops if she saw us."

Grandmother worked in carriage sidings where we played and slept and played at times.

Branchline across the river at the front and a narrow gauge line at the top of the garden and a myriad of quarry railways a mile away. Both had irregular services and both  coasted down the inclines at about 20 mph so you didn't hear them. The London and Manchester expresses you could hear as they powered out of the main station, but only the steam trains properly squashed the pennies. The diesels 'pinged' the coins far away. 

Catching the overnight Irish ferries many times in my teens with the pals. Changing trains at Crewe, Nuneaton, Leicester, Peterborough, March and Ely on a trip to Cambridge was a bit much even for me at the enthusiastic age of 15  so I came back via Liverpool Street, the underground and Euston, to my mother's horror! I said you can't get lost in London, mam, there are maps everywhere, street names everywhere with little numbers to tell you which area you are in(Sheffield has them as well).

As a generalization I found(in those days) urbanites far less able to deal with new surroundings as there upbringing has provided so little variety, whereas the more rural, experience far more and therefore become more familiar with assessing risk. 

9 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The regulations apply only to trains TOC's and charters operating older stock on the mainlines.

The same report strongly recommends that heritage railways with heritage stock do full risk assessments so that they can identify potential hazards. Some railways have always had a locked window' and or door policy.

You also have clearly forgotten that the APT was a project to build a brand new train using all the most advanced technologies available globally with a 155 mph speed. The HST was designed as a 125 mph to use current BR technology.

The UK max speed is 140 mph on Southeastern Javelin on track operated, maintained and renewed by Network Rail High Speed a wholly owned subsidiary of Network Rail.

Excellent, informative posts Annie.

Thank you :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Chekhov said:

At 13 ?  And I assume you were not on your own ? So why not ?

And I disagree with you anyway, it's not off topic, it's completely on topic.

I'm not sure if people had to be in pairs, I can't remember. I just walked around with my friend (same age).

I probably wouldn't be too keen on my kids at this age doing this. Fine in UK, but not a foreign country. 

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

The one with the ponds frightened me too death when I was a lad .  I was about the same age as the actors and was up to the same stuff as them .

Lonely Water with Donald Pleasence doing the voice over - I've linked to the Wikipedia page rather than embedded the video so you (and I) don't get nightmares.

On 16/12/2022 at 20:56, Annie Bynnol said:

I'm really not :

https://www.orr.gov.uk/search-news/safety-first-droplight-windows-heritage-and-charter-trains

Heritage railways are different – the simple fact that they run at a maximum speed of 25mph makes the windows safer to have in place – but more is needed.

We want to see every heritage railway conduct a thorough risk assessment and then take appropriate and reasonably practicable measures including moving lineside structures such as signal posts away from the track, cutting back vegetation, restricted window opening to allow ventilation only , putting up prominent signs and making announcements over the public address system.

And, in cases where it is clear that passengers’ actions are putting themselves at risk, the railways need to have a sufficient number of stewards in place who are empowered to remove passengers from the train if they won’t obey safety instructions

There are more than 200 heritage railways operating across Great Britain providing great days out for tens of thousands of people and employing thousands of people in a range of jobs. We are determined that they continue to thrive and passengers can enjoy a1950s/1960s experience with 21st Century standards of safety.

On 16/12/2022 at 21:54, *_ash_* said:

I'm not sure if people had to be in pairs, I can't remember. I just walked around with my friend (same age).

I probably wouldn't be too keen on my kids at this age doing this. Fine in UK, but not a foreign country. 

Why would it be fine in the UK but not  in a foreign country ?

We're talking France here not Somalia, or even South Africa

Edited by Chekhov

On 16/12/2022 at 20:56, Annie Bynnol said:

What has that got to do with the fact that HSTs had opening drop lights on the doors ?

7 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Why would it be fine in the UK but not  in a foreign country ?

We're talking France here not Somalia, or even South Africa

Phone might not work on the continent. 

This country wouldn't help if said kid went missing.

That's 2 reasons without even thinking.