Modern Life Is Rubbish

16 hours ago, Chekhov said:

What has that got to do with the fact that HSTs had opening drop lights on the doors ?

The APT was the British attempt to become a world leader in modern train building, containing new technologies that would allow for faster speed, more comfortable environment, more efficient operation quicker despatch etc. 

Although the APT never went into revenue service many new technologies were developed  which had to include door, environment and ventilation design.

Driver or guard operated doors reduced despatch times and the need for as many platform staff.

Open windows cause drag and reduce speed/acceleration and increase energy consumption.

Open windows imbalance the aircon and create noise and I assume an unpleasant situation when walking past.

The HST used the technology then available including droplights and this cheaper option was a winner for the government and we got a half decent inter-city train. So good was the design that over time many features were introduced into the HST from the APT including doors that did not require passenger operation. Such a good idea that all trains used similar technology.

Now all trains in public service have similar doors.

Charter trains running 'heritage' stock have always been required to be modified to run on the mainlines. Now they are required to have door controls that do not require windows to be opened to operate them.

Some Heritage railways have never allowed for open windows. Some do and some may change after they have done the requested assessment.

There is NO ban on Heritage railways. It is up to each individual railway. 

• Like 1

On 22/12/2022 at 10:30, Annie Bynnol said:

Some Heritage railways have never allowed for open windows. Some do and some may change after they have done the requested assessment.

There is NO ban on Heritage railways. It is up to each individual railway. 

Whether the ban is a result of direct legislation or it being "advised" out of existence is a moot point really.

What the ORR say in its "advice" is clear. "We are pretty much telling you to do this, fail to do so and there may well (read will) be consequences" :

https://www.orr.gov.uk/search-news/safety-first-droplight-windows-heritage-and-charter-trains

Heritage railways are different – the simple fact that they run at a maximum speed of 25mph makes the windows safer to have in place – but more is needed.

We want to see every heritage railway conduct a thorough risk assessment and then take appropriate and reasonably practicable measures including moving lineside structures such as signal posts away from the track, cutting back vegetation, restricted window opening to allow ventilation only , putting up prominent signs and making announcements over the public address system.

And, in cases where it is clear that passengers’ actions are putting themselves at risk, the railways need to have a sufficient number of stewards in place who are empowered to remove passengers from the train if they won’t obey safety instructions

There are more than 200 heritage railways operating across Great Britain providing great days out for tens of thousands of people and employing thousands of people in a range of jobs. We are determined that they continue to thrive and passengers can enjoy a1950s/1960s experience with 21st Century standards of safety.

The killer phrase

[we are the regulator and] We are determined that they [have] 21st Century standards of safety.

It goes without saying I think it is BS, but typical of the modern obsession for treating us all like kids and "keeping us safe" regardless of the cost (just like Covid).

I cannot remember going on a heritage railway which had locked windows, I'd have remembered it, and not gone back.

Edited by Chekhov

On 22/12/2022 at 01:02, *_ash_* said:

Phone might not work on the continent. 

This country wouldn't help if said kid went missing.

That's 2 reasons without even thinking.

>>Phone might not work on the continent.<<

Whose phone?

We did not have mobile phones back then, why are kids only "safe" if they are contactable on a mobile phone ?

That, in a nutshell, is an example of the rise in risk aversion since the 1970s.

>>This country wouldn't help if said kid went missing.<<

You surely do not believe that ?

On 22/12/2022 at 07:36, sibon said:

DuFEdXMW0AMNIe5?format=jpg&name=large

There are two things wrong with that picture :

1 - No solid piece of line side furniture is ever that close to the running line.

2 - (more significantly), the person is looking the wrong way. Only an imbecile would stick their head out of a train whilst not even looking what was coming. You cannot (or should not) strive to legislate for idiocy. That way we are all reduced to the lowest common denominator. If that person really is so stupid they should only be out with their carer.

Edited by Chekhov

32 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

1 - No solid piece of line side furniture is ever that close to the running line.

2 - (more significantly), the person is looking the wrong way. Only an imbecile would stick their head out of a train whilst not even looking what was coming. You cannot (or should not) strive to legislate for idiocy. That way we are all reduced to the lowest common denominator. If that person really is so stupid they should only be out with their carer.

I think it was meant to make some laugh.

But if you need to make a serious point from it How about  legislating and protecting daft school kids.

I wouldn’t have thought many adults of sound mind would  think it at all sensible to trespass on railway lines,but you live and learn

39 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Good afternoon Cheekofit.

First of all I shan't pretend to know anything about train sett's and would not doubt your knowledge of trackside furniture.

Art, now that's a different matter.

Unless the person who has lost his / her head in the picture  is facing 'backwards' (and his head has come off before he even got to the post) he / she was indeed looking forward, the post clearly having taken his / her head off on the way past :huh:

Keep safe out there Chekhov 

All the best for the New Year

& keep off the Vodka 

Rocker 8)

Edited by Rockers rule
-
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RJRB said:

But if you need to make a serious point from it How about  legislating and protecting daft school kids.

I wouldn’t have thought many adults of sound mind would  think it at all sensible to trespass on railway lines,but you live and learn

It is from a Roald Dahl book about railway safety. Published in the woke days of 1991.

That’s Roald Dahl, who advocated drinking random bottles of medicine, wandering around factories, underage driving and poaching. Even he thought that sticking your head out of a moving train was a bad idea.😁

On 23/12/2022 at 13:27, RJRB said:

I wouldn’t have thought many adults of sound mind would  think it at all sensible to trespass on railway lines, but you live and learn

>>How about legislating and protecting daft school kids.<<

Their parents are responsible for them.

>>I wouldn’t have thought many adults of sound mind would think it at all sensible to trespass on railway lines, but you live and learn<<

Just off the top of my head, three incidents which have actually happened to me :

1 - I was out on a hike and found myself on the wrong side of a railway line with no crossing for a mile or so each side. The most dangerous part of crossing that railway line was climbing the 'effin fence. Actually walking over the line was significantly safer then crossing Penistone Rd outside B&Q.

2 - I was on the wrong platform to catch a train and I could hear it coming round the bend (contrary to advice from elsewhere, you can hear a train coming from a long way off...). To get to the other platform via the nearby road bridge would have taken so long I might have missed it, or at the very least, had an incredibly stressful time.  And the trains were only running hourly and I'd then have missed my connection etc etc. So I jumped down from the P/F walked over and got up on the other one.

3 - My three year old son threw my mobile phone onto the track at Doncaster station. The staff actually managed to retrieve it with a litter picker, but if the picker hadn't been long enough I was told they'd have left it there. Well they might have been happy to do so but I soddin' would not.

On 23/12/2022 at 13:27, Rockers rule said:

Good afternoon Cheekofit.

First of all I shan't pretend to know anything about train sett's and would not doubt your knowledge of trackside furniture.

Art, now that's a different matter.

Unless the person who has lost his / her head in the picture  is facing 'backwards' (and his head has come off before he even got to the post) he / she was indeed looking forward, the post clearly having taken his / her head off on the way past :huh:

Keep safe out there Chekhov 

All the best for the New Year

& keep off the Vodka 

Rocker 8)

Assuming they were not blind, if he/she had been looking forward, how would they have been hit by the post ?

I am also assuming that if they saw a pole coming up to knock their head off, they would not have thought "ahh, it'll be alright".

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

>>How about legislating and protecting daft school kids.<<

Their parents are responsible for them.

>>I wouldn’t have thought many adults of sound mind would think it at all sensible to trespass on railway lines, but you live and learn<<

Just off the top of my head, three incidents which have actually happened to me :

1 - I was out on a hike and found myself on the wrong side of a railway line with no crossing for a mile or so each side. The most dangerous part of crossing that railway line was climbing the 'effin fence. Actually walking over the line was significantly safer then crossing Penistone Rd outside B&Q.

2 - I was on the wrong platform to catch a train and I could hear it coming round the bend (contrary to advice from elsewhere, you can hear a train coming from a long way off...). To get to the other platform via the nearby road bridge would have taken so long I might have missed it, or at the very least, had an incredibly stressful time.  And the trains were only running hourly and I'd then have missed my connection etc etc. So I jumped down from the P/F walked over and got up on the other one.

3 - My three year old son threw my mobile phone onto the track at Doncaster station. The staff actually managed to retrieve it with a litter picker, but if the picker hadn't been long enough I was told they'd have left it there. Well they might have been happy to do so but I soddin' would not.

Assuming they were not blind, if he/she had been looking forward, how would they have been hit by the post ?

I am also assuming that if they saw a pole coming up to knock their head off, they would not have thought "ahh, it'll be alright".

You are correct with your assumption Cheekofit, the character is defiantly not 'blind' or come to that 'sighted' :huh:

It's a drawing 🤣

Keep well & enjoy the Christmas period Chekhov 🎅

Rocker 8)