Modern Life Is Rubbish

12 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I hope we can all support great works of art, and vilify those who desicrate Leonardo and  Michelangelo with turds and tomatoes!  :)

No need to worry the great works are behind bulletproof glass as you and the protestors well know. The ultra rich using the great works as investment tokens, now that's desecration.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

My lad...was a better swimmer (even at 5) than a good third of the adults in that pool. He didn't tell them to get out "because their stroke wasn't good enough".

Will you send me a video of this remarkable lad?

Edited by Norbert

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Trouble is a lot of life’s losers gravitate to jobs where they can order other people around for a change!  :)

They are the ones to escalate an argument!

But most are average joes doing the best they can, and usually common sense wins the day!

There is much in this.

This is LUDICROUS

My lad swims for a club, but they do not get enough practice off the starting blocks because getting them out and putting them away all takes time. So I offered to get them out at the start of the session. Unfortunately, in this mad mad mad world we live in it is not as simple as that. Apparently I would not only need a DBS check but (despite having built my own car....) I would have to complete a Health & Safety Risk Assessment. "It's a lot more trouble than you would think" the club said. And the same applies if I wanted to borrow the blocks when I hire a lane to coach my son.

Exactly who are the ***ing ****holes who originally came out with this absolute bull****.

And why don't they just **** off and leave us alone ?

Edited by Chekhov

13 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

This is LUDICROUS

My lad swims for a club, but they do not get enough practice off the starting blocks because getting them out and putting them away all takes time. So I offered to get them out at the start of the session. Unfortunately, in this mad mad mad world we live in it is not as simple as that. Apparently I would not only need a DBS check but (despite having built my own car....) I would have to complete a Health & Safety Risk Assessment. "It's a lot more trouble than you think" the club said. And the same applies if I wanted to borrow the blocks when I hire a lane to coach my son.

Exactly who are the ***ing ****holes who come out with this absolute bull****. And why don't they just **** off and leave us alone ?

Compensation culture might be behind that. I agree though it sounds ridiculous. 

In my daughter's chosen sport I've always been encouraged to help out and join in.

I've learned how to corner, I've learned how to score (much more complex than I thought) and I've also been taught how to give basic massage and make sure they stretch correctly. I've also been free to archive training sessions with pics and videos of training sessions, events etc that I've stored (several terabytes) over the years. These videos don't just have my daughter in them either. Loads of adults and masses of kids too. 

It's been a great learning experience and a lot of fun to boot. I'm quite sad that I've now taken a step back and don't watch her train anymore as it's getting to a very high level and I feel I'd just be in the way. She hated me not being there at first but now she's happy to have that bit of independence. 

11 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Compensation culture might be behind that. I agree though it sounds ridiculous. 

In my daughter's chosen sport I've always been encouraged to help out and join in.

I've learned how to corner, I've learned how to score (much more complex than I thought) and I've also been taught how to give basic massage and make sure they stretch correctly. I've also been free to archive training sessions with pics and videos of training sessions, events etc that I've stored (several terabytes) over the years. These videos don't just have my daughter in them either. Loads of adults and masses of kids too. 

It's been a great learning experience and a lot of fun to boot. I'm quite sad that I've now taken a step back and don't watch her train anymore as it's getting to a very high level and I feel I'd just be in the way. She hated me not being there at first but now she's happy to have that bit of independence. 

They should reintroduce the concept of "reasonable care", and get rid of this assumption that everyone should be at zero risk (or as close as possible to it) from anything (except driving, obviously).

Edited by Chekhov