Modern Life Is Rubbish

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

This is LUDICROUS

My lad swims for a club, but they do not get enough practice off the starting blocks because getting them out and putting them away all takes time. So I offered to get them out at the start of the session. Unfortunately, in this mad mad mad world we live in it is not as simple as that. Apparently I would not only need a DBS check but (despite having built my own car....) I would have to complete a Health & Safety Risk Assessment. "It's a lot more trouble than you think" the club said. And the same applies if I wanted to borrow the blocks when I hire a lane to coach my son.

Exactly who are the ***ing ****holes who come out with this absolute bull****. And why don't they just **** off and leave us alone ?

Get a DBS done then.

No organisation that is responsible for kids is ever going to let you do anything without one. It’s easy and quick. Just get one.

They aren’t a magic bullet though, because they are just a snapshot. They show whether you have convictions at a certain point in time, they aren’t continually updated. Hence the requirement for a risk assessment too.

The club are just doing their bit to keep the kids safe. You should be grateful to them for their care of your son.

Edited by sibon

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

This is LUDICROUS

My lad swims for a club, but they do not get enough practice off the starting blocks because getting them out and putting them away all takes time. So I offered to get them out at the start of the session. Unfortunately, in this mad mad mad world we live in it is not as simple as that. Apparently I would not only need a DBS check but (despite having built my own car....) I would have to complete a Health & Safety Risk Assessment. "It's a lot more trouble than you think" the club said. And the same applies if I wanted to borrow the blocks when I hire a lane to coach my son.

Exactly who are the ***ing ****holes who come out with this absolute bull****. And why don't they just **** off and leave us alone ?

Did you tell them that you had built your own car ?

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

This is LUDICROUS

My lad swims for a club, but they do not get enough practice off the starting blocks because getting them out and putting them away all takes time. So I offered to get them out at the start of the session. Unfortunately, in this mad mad mad world we live in it is not as simple as that. Apparently I would not only need a DBS check but (despite having built my own car....) I would have to complete a Health & Safety Risk Assessment. "It's a lot more trouble than you would think" the club said. And the same applies if I wanted to borrow the blocks when I hire a lane to coach my son.

Exactly who are the ***ing ****holes who originally came out with this absolute bull****.

And why don't they just **** off and leave us alone ?

Hic!!!!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, sibon said:

Get a DBS done then.

No organisation that is responsible for kids is ever going to let you do anything without one. It’s easy and quick. Just get one.

They aren’t a magic bullet though, because they are just a snapshot. They show whether you have convictions at a certain point in time, they aren’t continually updated. Hence the requirement for a risk assessment too.

The club are just doing their bit to keep the kids safe. You should be grateful to them for their care of your son.

I was not "going to be doing anything with kids". I was just going to put up the blocks in the presence of all the other coaches, who, I assume, are DBS checked. It is quite plainly disproportionate BS. You might as well say I should be DBS checked to go into the changing room with my lad because other kids are present, although I am quite certain that sooner or later people will need a DBS check to do just that, you only have to look at the trend.

Incidentally having a DBS  is not "easy and quick". When my wife had one done she had to take up copies of  a load of papers, incl her wedding certificate and a load of other stuff and that is despite the fact she already has a DBS from her work at the NHS ! It's BS. She was then informed that it'd only last few months if she didn't regularly use it, I can't quite remember but it was something like that. She resolved to never bother volunteering for the school again. And that is part of the massive cost of DBS checking, it must mean millions of volunteer hours every year are lost, plus the financial cost of the checks, about £25 for a basic one and £44 for an "enhanced" one. About 6 million are done every year (2019/20), about 2/3 of which were "enhanced", so that comes out at not far off a quarter of a Billion pounds a year. But, of course, that does not take into account the admin time of the person or organisation needing the check doing, so you can at least double that. So we're up to about half a Billion pounds a year.

Eye watering.......

For all Health & Safety edicts we should ask : exactly how much safer will this make us ? 

And what are we sacrificing to achieve that ?

I would bet good money they do NOT know exactly how much safer DBS checks make us all.

On the other hand we do know they cost nearly half a Billion pounds a year plus million of hours of volunteer time.

12 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

How well did he build the car. Is he still using it or did it break after 5 minutes.

Well l sold it a few years later for more than it cost me to build it so I can't have done a bad job....

Edited by Chekhov

12 hours ago, sibon said:

Coming from someone who regularly seems to argue that driving is not risky and speeding is an over rated danger*, why are you so in favour of all this expensive suffocating disproportionate BS to lower an already very low risk ?

I would recommend you study risk probability.

* Unless you are just trolling when you say that, which is distinctly possible. But you must realise you come over as, at best, inconsistent.

13 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Coming from someone who regularly seems to argue that driving is not risky and speeding is an over rated danger*, why are you so in favour of all this expensive suffocating disproportionate BS to lower an already very low risk ?

I would recommend you study risk probability.

* Unless you are just trolling when you say that, which is distinctly possible. But you must realise you come over as, at best, inconsistent.

I don’t think that I’ve ever argued that driving isn’t risky. Good drivers are fairly safe though. You certainly over-estimate the dangers of driving. Probably linked to your clearly limited skills in that area.

DBS checks are an essential part of child protection. Your opinion is unimportant in that respect. Far more experienced people than you have decided so.

If you want to help out at the swimming club, you need to comply fully with child protection legislation. That means that if the club tell you to, you need to get  DBS checked. It really is a simple procedure, I’ve done it many times.

2 hours ago, sibon said:

DBS checks are an essential part of child protection. Your opinion is unimportant in that respect. Far more experienced people than you have decided so.

How ****ing arrogant is that ? ! ?

>>Far more experienced people than you have decided so<< 

Defer to those who apparently know what they're talking about ?  Like during Covid do you mean ? That went well didn't it ? They certainly knew what they were talking about and were right almost every time (not).

But let's just stick to the known facts shall we ?

1 - DBS checks cost between a quarter and half a Billion pounds a year (depending on if you make an allowance for the time needed by the applicants).

2 - The requirement for regular DBS checks (or a check for a one off event) is definitely putting people off volunteering, I suspect millions of hours in volunteers time is lost every year, but we do know for a fact it will be substantial. 

3 - Unless you know different we do not actually know what they are achieving, I mean objectively/statistically, not just "they will be preventing abuse".

4 - At the moment an adult does not need a DBS check to go into a changing room full of kids, therefore the whole DBS requirement is, at best, inconsistent.