Modern Life Is Rubbish

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

That's a cop out if I ever saw one

No, it's a paraphrasing of a wise quote in the bible.

"Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? 5Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye"

One of my favorites.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, melthebell said:

Because the world doesn't revolve around you sunshine, they make policies that affect everybody

I have a surprise for you Mr Meltman.

I am not the only parent who wants to take pictures of their kids, whilst they are still kids (because they grow up far too fast) doing interesting stuff.

Have you not got any kids ?

Though even people without kids would surely have enough imagination to work that out for themselves.

Unless they were, err, blinkered ?

Edited by Chekhov

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Just to confirm this, there are, apparently, parents out there who do not want any photos of their child taken by anyone at any time ? Ids that really true ? I trust they do not take them to, for example, zoos,where people are taking photos all the time.

So, sorry, can you remind me exactly why anyone would object to someone taking photo of their kids (other than a - in my view exaggerated - fear that some unknown person on the Internet could conceivably see it and some unspecified malign fate befall their offspring) ?

Apparently some groups do think a photo of you can steal your soul, or is that an urban myth ?

Governments rely on sheep to get elected.

The more fearful they can make them, the longer they can stay in power.

And it's not about political parties, as we've recently seen.

They and their bureacrats occupy a special place in society. They don't like outsiders coming in asking questions.  :)

Their "club" members have to pay their dues, and mind their Ps and Qs.

Go along to get along, and don't rock the boat!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Just to confirm this, there are, apparently, parents out there who do not want any photos of their child taken by anyone at any time ? Is that really true ? I trust they do not take them to, for example, zoos or other attractions ,where people are taking photos all the time.

So, sorry, can you remind me exactly why anyone would object to someone taking photo of their kids (other than - in my view - an exaggerated fear that some unknown person on the Internet could conceivably see it and some unspecified malign fate befall their offspring) ?

Apparently some groups do think a photo of you can steal your soul, or is that an urban myth ?

I could list reasons why but you won't listen.  You only care about yourself.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

I am not the only parents who wants to take pictures of their kids, whilst they are still kids, because they grow up far too fast, doing interesting stuff.

Though even people without kids would surely have enough imagination to work that out for themselves.

And from what you have said so far no one is stopping you.

Sorry that you find modern life so miserable .It’s probably the only life that you will have so perhaps a change in outlook would help.

Wild swimming is supposed to be very therapeutic but take a bath towel with you.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I am not the only parents who wants to take pictures of their kids, whilst they are still kids, because they grow up far too fast, doing interesting stuff.

Our family photobox has many pictures of my siblings and myself taken by my parents and friends. A wonderful treasure.

Not one of them were taken by a relative/friend during any school activities or lessons. We are none the poorer for all that.

The school did provide photos for us of major events and the local newspaper was also a recorder of suitable occasions.

Conversations and vocal repetition provide longer lasting memories that get passed down the generations and will last longer than any digipic that will, most likely disappear with you.

Edited by cgksheff

TBH I think we are forgetting the title of the thread : Modern Life Is Rubbish.

Whether parents have been stopped from photographing their kids school performances because of disproportionate (and incorrect as it happens) Health & Safety / Child Protection / Data Protection issues, or just because some people put the pics on publicly accessible internet sites, the fact remains parents are banned from doing something have been able to do with no problem up until very recently.

Or, to put it another way, "Modern Life" has stopped them from doing something that most would really want to do.

Do we have a date, or at least a year, for when 'modern life' began?  Or is it flexible and dependant on which topic Chekhov wants to have a rant about today? 

Guest sibon
10 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Do we have a date, or at least a year, for when 'modern life' began?  Or is it flexible and dependant on which topic Chekhov wants to have a rant about today? 

I think it ended about twenty years ago, when schools started to prevent parents from photographing kids who weren't their own.

In the meantime, a subset of entitled "adults" have had kids of their own and are staggered to find that the same rules still apply.

Who'd have thought that.