Modern Life Is Rubbish

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

They should not be risking their job by sanctioning someone getting their phone off the line, that's my whole point.

It's disproportionate H&S cobblers of the first order.

Funny thing, all the people I tell that anecdote to, where I would be expected to leave my phone on the train track (when I could retrieve it in less than 10 seconds). the response is always the same, disbelief. Yet on here, apperently, many think it perfectly reasonable. Methinks some people are arguing for the sake of it, hidden as they are behind their PC keyboard.

That's rich coming from someone like you.

Take a look back at 102 pages of waffle on this thread.   If we are to believe that you get genuinely sooo perturbed and are genuinely sooo critical of some of the trivial topics you brought up on this thread, it would almost be disturbing.  

I suspect most of us treat it as the obvious wind up it is.  A bit of faux outrage debate for entertainment.

You're a comedy character. You have to be.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Average speed of a tram in a city environment is about 20 miles an hour. Average speed of a train is about 65 mph.

Top speed of most trams is around 50 to 60 mph. Top speed of  the bigger uk trains is at least 125mph and up to 185mph on HS1 line. 

In areas where trams and people interact, they are nearly always on a flat level surface. Tram tracks don't have a potentially fatal electric rail running inches away from where people are walking.  

Bit of a blindingly obvious difference.

Never seen such prize tut being thrown about by some people on this thread.

The railways have laws and whether people like them or not, the staff have a duty to adhere to them. 

Many railway stations are private property so again, whether people like it so not, you are on their land and you follow their rules.   

Thirdly, for those who arrogantly think it's so simple to get down and grab one's lost phone, are you seriously going to tell me that if they fell and snapped their leg in several places, they will simply lie there laughing it off saying "...oopsie daisy. How clumsy am I?...".    Or would they be screaming the place down demanding the staff come and rescue them, putting employees at risk, causing major disruption to the network and or the people all because of their own stupid ignorance and negligence.

Let's get serious.  Let's cut all this crap. Let's stop talking as if railway safety is some modern day bonkers heavy-handed phenomena.  God sake  theres been public information films, preventive measures and enforced bylaws introduced as far back as a 1950s and 1960s.

Of course you are never going to eliminate stupidity, but at the same time, railways and the private operators in general have a duty to protect their assets and property. They have a duty to minimise the risk to their own employees and other customers.  Prevention is always better than cure so it makes absolute perfect sense to block, discourage or prevent something from occurring, no matter how much the perpetrator is full of themselves.

Bla bla bla.

Dont need no “mansplaining” !

Fatality numbers are fatality numbers!

Cant wander on railway lines, which actually makes sense, but elderly, handicapped, shoppers and Mums with baby carriages can wander over supertram lines at will?

But we need to keep that Pride of Sheffield  (gasp!) shopping center, fer chrissakes supplied with their awed customers who apparently have never seen a shopping mall before.:)

The poor side have never seen one before?

“Eeey, oooh, it’s champion, and they’ve got cafes” and only 2 miles away!

Lol

Edited by trastrick

1 minute ago, trastrick said:

Bla bla bla.

Dont need no “manspaining” !

Fatality numbers are fatality numbers!

Cant wander on railway lines, which actually makes sense, but elderly, handicapped, shoppers and Mums with baby carriages can wander over supertram lines at will?

But we need to keep that Pride of Sheffield  (gasp!) shopping center, fer chrissakes supplied with their awed customers who apparently have never seen a shopping mall before.:)

The poor side have never seen one before?

“Eeey, oooh, it’s champion, and they’ve got cafes” and only 2 miles away!

Lol

Did you get an AI bot to write that for you or something???   Either that or whatever you are smoking is far too strong.

I clearly forgot I was dealing with a comedy double act on this thread.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Did you get an AI bot to write that for you or something???   Either that or whatever you are smoking is far too strong.

I clearly forgot I was dealing with a comedy double act on this thread.  

The standard of so called adult discussion on this forum is staggering 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Seriously ?

All trains, particularly when going at speed are LOUD.

You may be confusing them with trams, because they, ironically (because it is perfectly legal to walk across tram tracks), are fairly quiet.

No, I think walking on the railway should be discouraged, but not obsessively and at any cost.

An unacceptable example would be telling me I have to leave my phone on the track when I could have picked it up in about 10 seconds, or less.

That's just disproportionate cobblers.

I also think the installation of hundreds of miles of palisade fencing, (which is very ugly and very expensive) is disproportionate.

Seriously.

A forty year old at a railway station would be far less likely of discerning the direction of the source of train noise than a ten year old. An eighty year old would not be able to

A forty year old at a railway station would be far less likely to hear the noise of a distant train over that of the other trains at the station, or on other tracks, announcement, people, weather etc. than a ten year old. An eighty year old would not be able to.

The reaction, processing and action time of a forty year old is three times slower than a ten year old. An eighty year old would not be able to often be unable to react.

A forty year old needing 10 seconds to get back on the platform could need to see/hear a train five football fields away in both directions if the trains were travelling at 120mph. 

The step up is about 50 inches above the top rail of the rail -easily a five foot (60") step up without a grip above the cess. That is getting on for four times higher than a Sheffield tram platform above concrete slab track.(q.v. Rotherham Central).     

Most people accidentally killed on railway tracks(trespassers and workers) are killed by much slower moving trains coming on them unexpectedly. That is why railway workers are protected by several safeguarding levels. 

While waiting at Connel Ferry railway station two summer ago a member of the public appeared to be about to step out in front of an approaching train travelling at about 5mph. The driver was visibly shaken and needed medical treatment. All train services on this single track route were cancelled while a replacement driver was found. 

Consider other people and you own family as they witness you misjudgement!