Modern Life Is Rubbish

20 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Why? - you are using the internet to post your (usually inaccurate) rants.

A "rant" is subjective opinion and therefore cannot be "inaccurate".

On the other hand, saying , for example, that DBS checks cost the country between a quarter and half a Billion pounds  a year and there is no objective evidence as to what they achieve, is an accurate fact.

Similarly with baning photography at swimming galas, there is no objective evidence for what that is actually achieving either, another accurate fact

20 hours ago, RollingJ said:

So move to free [software] options - there are many out there.

I think we are missing the point here, more and more people have to be IT experts to just go about there normal daily lives. And usually it is purely to make things easier for the supplier, not to make things easier for the customer. I was a bit of an eye opener when one of my nephew's got married and everything was online, and I really do mean everything. I found myself spending significant amounts of time trying to work out how to do what we were supposed to, even just accepting the invite......

Edited by Chekhov

11 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

A "rant" is subjective opinion and therefore cannot be "inaccurate".

On the other hand, saying , for example, that DBS checks cost the country between a quarter and half a Billion pounds  a year and there is no objective evidence as to what they achieve, is an accurate fact.

Similarly with baning photography at swimming galas, there is no objective evidence for what that is actually achieving either, another accurate fact

I think we are missing the point here, more and more people have to be IT experts to just go about there normal daily lives. And usually it is purely to make things easier for the supplier, not to make things easier for the customer. I was a bit of an eye opener when one of my nephew's got married and everything was online, and I really do mean everything. I found myself spending significant amounts of time trying to work out how to do what we were supposed to, even just accepting the invite......

Last paragraph only, as the first two are irrelevant to my original comment: I don't think you have to be an 'expert' -one of my sisters is a complete and utter technophobe, but even she can do what she needs on her phone/Chromebook, although she does very occasionally seek my advice when she really needs to. The rest of the family used to ask me for help, but I honestly can't remember the last time they did. If you get stuck , and even after 45+ years of IT experience, I do, there is always help a click or two away.

43 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Last paragraph only, as the first two are irrelevant to my original comment: I don't think you have to be an 'expert' -one of my sisters is a complete and utter technophobe, but even she can do what she needs on her phone/Chromebook, although she does very occasionally seek my advice when she really needs to. The rest of the family used to ask me for help, but I honestly can't remember the last time they did. If you get stuck , and even after 45+ years of IT experience, I do, there is always help a click or two away.

Makes it sound easy that.

Which, of course, is why more and more companies are trying to force people to use web pages rather than have someone you can phone up and ask.

I realised very quickly once this trend started, years ago, that the quickest way, certainly the easiest way, to find out anything is to ask someone who knows.

The Inland Revenue are a bad example of this. They do everything they can to force you to do your won research ion their website rather than one of theior employees just tell you the effin' answer. And what really annoys me is they make it sound like they're doing you a favour. "Oh look we've got all these webinars and Youtube videos for you [to learn how to do it [without wasting our time]". That's kind of you, not.

>>I don't think you have to be an 'expert'<<

After wasting about 5 minutes trying to work out how to download the completed form (for a refund) I worked out how to print it out, filled it in with a pen, scanned it, then attached it to the E Mail reply. Even just knowing how to do all that requires quite a bit of knowledege of IT.

We had our system at work swapped over to everything through one broadband line, internet, phones and PDQ machine. We were told (incorrectly) we "had to have that done within 18 months" (and that was a year ago). I can tell you we needed to know quite a bit about IT to even work out how to set it up and use it all, much less to diagonose the faults and flaws on their system. Adn nobody comes out to do it for you these days, they expect you to use their "helpful videos and webinars" to work out how to do it for yourself.

It really annoyed me that I had to learn all that just to sell soddin' aerials, poles clamps and brackets......

Edited by Chekhov

53 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It really annoyed me that I had to learn all that just to sell soddin' aerials, poles clamps and brackets......

tv aerials days are numbered, it will probably all be delivered over the internet at some point in the future

6 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

Analogue TV signal went off air several years ago mate.

Stick to cluttering the technical forum with inane questions or go for a wander around the metaverse, rather than trying to sarcastically lecture me about anything technical ... mate

• Haha 1