Modern Life Is Rubbish

47 minutes ago, fools said:

tv aerials days are numbered, it will probably all be delivered over the internet at some point in the future

We do more selling stuff to install Starlink, in fact we're one of the top ranked sites in the English speaking world for Starlink installation info.

The problem is most of our readers are out of the UK (mainly USA and Canada) and don't buy much stuff because it's so expensive to ship it.

28 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

Rumour has it even that will end as soon as 2025, everything will be digital.

If you mean the end of TV tranmissions in the UHF band (i.e. through an aerial) I haven't heard that, it's definititely wrong. Possibly 2030, but I suspect it may well be after even that.

Edited by Chekhov

21 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Last paragraph only, as the first two are irrelevant to my original comment: I don't think you have to be an 'expert' -one of my sisters is a complete and utter technophobe, but even she can do what she needs on her phone/Chromebook, although she does very occasionally seek my advice when she really needs to. The rest of the family used to ask me for help, but I honestly can't remember the last time they did. If you get stuck , and even after 45+ years of IT experience, I do, there is always help a click or two away.

I'll give you a good example of how we need to be experts in IT just to do our jobs now....

I was replying to a guy's E Mail using our Outlook and tried inserting a picture but the option to do that was greyed out. It was only because I know a bit about it and have had that before that that I realised I could swap from "plain text" to "rich text" and that would then allow me to insert the image. I would warrant most people would not have known that and therefore to know it one would have to be (by some definition at least) an "IT expert". Just to send a soddin' E Mail.....

23 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I'll give you a good example of how we need to be experts in IT just to do our jobs now....

I was replying to a guy's E Mail using our Outlook and tried inserting a picture but the option to do that was greyed out. It was only because I know a bit about it and have had that before that that I realised I could swap from "plain text" to "rich text" and that would then allow me to insert the image. I would warrant most people would not have known that and therefore to know it one would have to be (by some definition at least) an "IT expert". Just to send a soddin' E Mail.....

I have my email client set to 'Rich Text' by default, but I suspect if you have it set to 'plain text', you could send the picture as an attachment?

15 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I have my email client set to 'Rich Text' by default, but I suspect if you have it set to 'plain text', you could send the picture as an attachment?

Just had a reply from him :

I couldn’t open that attachment, maybe because I’m on a Mac.

The point is not the technicalities of this problem but the fact there is  a problem at all, and the fact one has to be an IT expert to get anywhere.

All I want to do is sell aerials, poles, clamps and brackets, that's what I am an expert in.....

39 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Just had a reply from him :

I couldn’t open that attachment, maybe because I’m on a Mac.

The point is not the technicalities of this problem but the fact there is  a problem at all, and the fact one has to be an IT expert to get anywhere.

All I want to do is sell aerials, poles, clamps and brackets, that's what I am an expert in.....

And Coronavirus 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

>>Chekhov said :

All I want to do is sell aerials, poles, clamps and brackets, that's what I am an expert in.....<<

And Coronavirus 

Interesting you have bought Covdi up on this thread, if I answer I will then be accused of talking about bringing up Covid on the wrong thread.

Still, you started it.

I, and many others, were right about Covid more than most of the experts (certainly the ones the government were listening to). But, since that really isn't saying much, I would hesitate before calling us experts :

How wrong they were :

Mid March 2020 : "We could have half a million Covid deaths in the UK"
19 March 2020 : "12 weeks to flatten the curve".
Late March 2020 : "This virus is indiscriminate"
May 2020 : "Politicians have become more cautious about immunisation prospects. They are right to be"
November 2020 : "Modelling suggests 4,000 deaths per day in the worst case scenario".
Spring 2021 : "Get double vaccinated to get out of Covid and back to normal" (it actually took a further year).
July 2021 : "Freedom day is irresponsible, we could have 200K cases per day by August".
11 Dec 2021 : "Omicron could cause 75,000 deaths in England by end of April"
Dec 2021 : "Central estimate" 2890 Omicron deaths a day
15 Dec 2021 : "Omicron likely to be the biggest threat of Covid pandemic so far".

I can supply the original sources for pretty much all of this if required....

22 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Interesting you have bought Covdi up on this thread, if I answer I will then be accused of talking about bringing up Covid on the wrong thread.

Still, you started it.

I, and many others, were right about Covid more than most of the experts (certainly the ones the government were listening to). But, since that really isn't saying much, I would hesitate before calling us experts :

How wrong they were :

Mid March 2020 : "We could have half a million Covid deaths in the UK"
19 March 2020 : "12 weeks to flatten the curve".
Late March 2020 : "This virus is indiscriminate"
May 2020 : "Politicians have become more cautious about immunisation prospects. They are right to be"
November 2020 : "Modelling suggests 4,000 deaths per day in the worst case scenario".
Spring 2021 : "Get double vaccinated to get out of Covid and back to normal" (it actually took a further year).
July 2021 : "Freedom day is irresponsible, we could have 200K cases per day by August".
11 Dec 2021 : "Omicron could cause 75,000 deaths in England by end of April"
Dec 2021 : "Central estimate" 2890 Omicron deaths a day
15 Dec 2021 : "Omicron likely to be the biggest threat of Covid pandemic so far".

I can supply the original sources for pretty much all of this if required....

“You started it “ . Child .

43 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

“You started it “ . Child .

No.

The latest U.S.  intel says it was likely the Chinese Communist Wuhan Biological Research Lab.

Of course, many agree with the commies, that they had nothing to do with it!

That's life!  :)

Edited by trastrick

Guest sibon
23 hours ago, RollingJ said:

But can still get the digital signal via the Ariel, as I do.

What if you don’t want to watch The Little Mermaid?